Bottom Paint?

Dec 21, 2016
Catalina C22 Trailer sailor
Has anyone used the rustoleum marine bottom paint? My boat is primarily a fresh water boat but the PO painted the bottom of it and I seen this product and wondered if it is worth the money.

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I did not even know rustoleum made an antifouling paint. If your boat is primarially on a trailer and fresh water sailed you will want a hard paint as the triditional bottom paints will loose their effectiveness out of water.

Just compair what is in the paint your looking at with a triditional marine paint to see if it has the same anti fouling ingredients. Then if your comfortable give it a shot. If the boat is in the water most of the time you'll be doing it again in 3 years or so anyway so there is no great risk.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
If your boat is primarially on a trailer and fresh water sailed you will want a hard paint as the triditional bottom paints will loose their effectiveness out of water.
I think you got that backwards. It's the hard paints that don't tolerate being dry.

Lemon Drop ... judging by the pics, I assume you're a trailer sailor? If so, you may not need (or want) bottom paint. How many days at a time do you spend (or plan to spend) on the water?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I think you got that backwards. It's the hard paints that don't tolerate being dry.
Yup your correct sorry about that. For what it's worth I trailer sail as well and my boat is bottom painted but I would not have painted it myself if it did not come that way. Getting the blue paint on your hands and swim suit from removing the rudder is annoying.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Most of the "wanna go fast" folk use VC17, however, if the boat is only in fresh water and spends most of it's time on the trailer, then why not consider a single coat of something like ip2000 barrier coat every 4-5 years and call it done? That wouldn't be any more money, in fact might just be cheaper.
(and leave the Rustoleum in the can for the lawn furniture where it belongs)

Sep 30, 2013
For what it's worth I trailer sail as well and my boat is bottom painted but I would not have painted it myself if it did not come that way. Getting the blue paint on your hands and swim suit from removing the rudder is annoying.
Same here. My C22 had a brand new coat of freshwater Seahawk ablative paint when we bought her. It's starting to show gelcoat through it now, but I'd rather not reapply any if I don't have to.

Dec 21, 2016
Catalina C22 Trailer sailor
I do extended weekends leaving it in the water for 3 to 4 days a few times a month and the occasional dip during the week. I will take your recommendations and run.. I just hate seeing the PO paint and its on there pretty good. Thanks everyone.

Aug 1, 2011
That was why the suggestion of a random coat of ip2000. Hull would look good and if it’s not in the water that much, a good car wash would take care of any crud.

Sep 30, 2013
That was why the suggestion of a random coat of ip2000. Hull would look good and if it’s not in the water that much, a good car wash would take care of any crud.
If Interprotect 2000 will hold up to UV for 4-5 years, I'll probably use it myself when the time finally comes. I'm going to hate watching my nice blue bottom turn patchy and ugly, but I hate sanding ablative even more. Gonna let nature take its course as long as possible. ;)

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I'm curious about this as well.

I am planning on trailer sailing, with one or two long weekends per year.

I do my sailing unsalted. The previous owner said the boat spent some time in salt water, not sure how much.

My main reason for thinking about painting it is that it's ugly. I would say it's a worn out blue with some tan showing through. Could be the tan is on top, but I don't think so.

What are the pros and cons of painting? I just figured painting it was the right thing to do.

Aug 1, 2011
Ip2000 is a barrier coat. It’s similar to gelcoat in function, should not be confused with antifouling and is “hard” enough that it will very likely do a good job at what you guys are trying to accomplish. The thing about it is that you can go at it with a pressure washer.

Aug 1, 2011
You’re going to have to sand ALL the old crap off. Having done the barrier coat a couple years ago, I can tell you it’s a butt ugly job, but when it’s done, the hull looks like new. My thought to doing it this way deviates from the docs, but if you treat it like bottom paint, it should probably last 3-5 years.