Bottom paint under trailer pads

Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
I am just wondering if there is an easy way to get some bottom paint under the spots where the trailer bunks on a hunter 26. I have seen photos of cradle stands but I don't have access to any right now. I was thinking about jacking the stern up with a beam and some tires (just an inch) and the doing the same at the bow. I am hoping there is an easier way.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I Have a 23.5 what I did was to load the boat on the trailer a little off center one way hit the spots I could not do with it centered then dipped it in the water and loaded it a little off center the other way. Worked great. I also pulled the trailer up on car ramps that helped get under the bottom, Maybe they have truck ramps that hold more weight or pull one side up on the curb.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Local marina here used their fork truck to raise my H23.5 off the trailer a wee bit, just so I could finish the job started by the PO. But now I realize bottom paint is bad for our lake. I just don't know what to do about it...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Back it up beneath a big tree you can use to support a strap and come along to raise the stern. Do you know a tow truck driver? That would solve your problem. Or you could rent a cherry picker.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Years ago, Rick Webb recommended this off-kilter method to me. It works great! I used this every other bottom painting on my H26. With annual touch ups on leading edges and waterline, I was able to squeeze 3 years out of a bottom job on the Gulf Coast. In the alternate bottom job, I would go the full travel lift/boat yard route and include the full centerboard. I would advise against using the forks of a forklift to directly lift a Hunter water ballasted boat!

Check out link to a thread on the subject of forklift use
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...60-water-ballast-with-a-boat-forklift.184095/
BrianW

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
I appreciate all the feedback. I will try the boat ramp idea and see if I can get it off centre enough. I liked Joes idea with the trees but I don't think I would be able to find just the right trees. I got my marina to give me a price for their travel lift the they wanted three hundred dollars. Let's hope Brian and Ricks are onto something

Thanks everyone for the ideas

Ben

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
A line from the trailer to the winch does the trick

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Made these for my 23.5.put front

support under boat on trailer,jacked up trailer and attached legs.On back,jacked up support with two car jacks,then put it together.Was high enough to also change out keel line

Attachments