Bose 321 System not turning on:

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you.
I delayed our sailing trip and got to verify that the inverter is functioning...
So now I need to see if power is at the end of the wire going into the head unit.
That fuse has me intrigued. I want to get a look at it.
Luckily day Dreamer 41 pointed out that it's in the subwoofer cabinet.
I hadn't noticed that.
How a fuse in the subwoofer cabinet is preventing the head unit from turning on is beyond me.
But I will check it out next.
Thank you.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
AS, instead of each component getting its own power, all the power is derived at the subwoofer and then distributed to each component. The power supply in the sub is converting the AC from the inverter to a DC voltage. That DC voltage travels along each cable that is connected to the sub. The control head has the ON/OFF function. This is just an efficient way of providing power without having to have multiple power cords running all over the place.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
If you have shore power, just plug the bose 110 cord into one of your known working outlets and see if it works.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you IB.
It's not that type of cord. It's a multi-pin cord.
I'm now pretty sure the problem is the fuse in the sub-woofer as all the very helpful information sent to me points out.
And I do believe I've checked everything else it might be.
At this time I'm trying to locate those fuses so I'll have them on hand when I go into the circuitry to actually see the one that's in there, which, I'm now sure is the problem.
As soon as I find the little buggers I'll post the results.
Al

Feb 17, 2006
AS, I have read that those are 4A slow-blo fuses. But do check yours to confirm. Also, even if the fuse is good, please check the circuit board for cold solder joints. Those would be solder joints that have very little solder on them. Basically, the connection is hanging on by a thread.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Al, mine has a 110 volt plug coming from the acoustimass subwoofer. it can also be 220, depending on the market. As others have said the sub powers the rest of the system. See page 18 system set up.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you IB and Brian.
I have been going through hell trying to find the fuse that was called out in that great YouTube video you (Brian) sent me.
I must have an hour looking on line.
It was called out in the video as a 2.5A, 250V, (.60 X .19) Slow-Blow and it was a pig-tail type.
The gentleman said he found it on a Sears parts Direct type site.
I have had zero luck so far. I have two more small supplier possibilities here on the Island that I haven't gotten over to yet but it looking like I'm going to have to ship them in here IF I can find them.
I was hoping to get new fuses before I took it all apart so as not to have a basket of parts knocking around for two weeks while I forget how the thing goes back together!
And space is short as we live on board all winter.
I just started looking for the 4A you mentioned and found on Amazon a ceramic equivalent that is a little bigger (5X20 MM or.787 X .196).
I may have to get inside there and read what's written on the fuse after all...
Al

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Wow. Thank you...
I don't know how I ever lived without this forum.
This one is a little bit smaller in length (.393 Long X .216 Dia.) and 5A instead of 2.5A...
Do you think this matters or will this fuse work fine?
Al

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just search on the linked site for the amp rating you need. They have the right size

Feb 17, 2006
The physical size does not matter. It's more of a convenience in design than in function. Get what ever you can to get your system back on line. If it calls for a 2.5A fuse and you put in a 3A then you have to remote possibility of something getting damaged. However if you put in a 10A you could burn down the boat. (LOL) I think you get the gist. Too small of a fuse will have you replacing fuses every time you turn on the system.

Also, you can try auto part stores. They should have a host of different types of fuses. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Added - Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the PDF Service Manual for the BOSE 321 Series II system.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you.
That linked site had a phone number as well so I can call and I'm sure they will fix me up.
Stay tuned....
Al

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Hello JRacer.
In the YouTube video that Brian D sent me earlier the producer made a point several times to point out that Bose was terrible to seek help from and stated directly that had asked and they would NOT send him the fuse.
He was not happy and beat up on Bose several times in the video.
daydreamer 41 sent me to a great site that will no doubt have that fuse I need so that is my next move.
Once I have them I'll go inside the box and see what I find...
(This might take me a week or two as it's not easy to get stuff shipped in down here)
Thank you
Al

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
No problem, mon. Would love to bring you down a package. :D Going to be 0-10F here tonight. Enjoy your sailing. Will stay tuned.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Greetings to all of you who were so helpful with suggestions to get my Hunter 41 DS factory installed Bose stereo system running again.
Especially helpful was that You Tube video showing the fuse in the sub-woofer.
As I mentioned (sometime in January) it's difficult to ship things in here to the BVI.
It also proved difficult to even find the little buggers.
But (finally) I located them and (finally) had someone coming down to visit carry them in and (finally) got to replace said fuse yesterday.
And that baby fired right up!
That fuse had blown....
What a great system this Forum and what a wonderful bunch of people participating.
This was the first time I sought help this way and it worked very well indeed.
Thank you all.
Al

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Al:

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix. But, jeez, there has to be an easier way to get a fuse, you would think. Presume you had you "courier" bring you several.

Feb 17, 2006
Glad it worked out for you. Most appreciative though is the fact that you returned here to add closure. Too many times advise is asked for yet the person asking never returns to add closure or to thank those who have given the advise.

So to you, @al simonson, I say thank you for providing closure.