Bose 321 System not turning on:

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
I have a 2009 41DS that I keep in Tortola, BVI.
I bought it new in 2010 and it came with the Bose 321 Entertainment Center installed at the factory.
I had the TV portion of the unit separated out when I had the dealer install a larger screen unit with an internal DVD.
So the Bose 321 then supplied sound only (CD, radio and an iPod plugged into the aux input in the rear of the unit).
Everything worked fantastic with great sound quality through the Bose speakers and the sub-woofer unit.
...Until this year, when the Bose 321 would not turn on when I arrived in November.
It was working fine when I put the boat away last April.
I'm lousy at electrical problems and its difficult to find quality repairs down here.
I read related posts and looked the unit over for a reset button (none visible), unplugged wires (Nothing obvious). This might be the limit of what I can do myself.
I'm hoping someone might know of a hidden fuse or breaker somewhere, as in "something easy" I might do myself.
It just seems not to be getting power. Does anyone have experience and an idea for me to try?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
One must assume that the 321 is in fact getting power. One must also assume that that power is 12vdc. If not 12vdc, is there an inverter somewhere in the power path that is not turned on?

Let's assume it is 12vdc. Other than ensuring that the breaker panel is all turned on and there are no other breakers between the panel and the 321, we have to check for DC at the 321. The easiest way is to take a 12vdc light bulb, attach some wires to the bulb and insert the wires into the power cord of the 321. If you are in fact getting 12vdc (light burns) then we can safely say you have issues with the 321. Most probably the power switch. Corrosion maybe?

I would first confirm that the power is getting to the back of the 321. Start there. Don't start at the panel or the batteries. No power at the back of the 321 then work your way back to the panel.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Al. There is a lot of guessing on our part, without a bit more info. Brian is attacking it based on the idea the Bose is a DC powered unit on your boat. Help us out. How do you go about turning on the unit? What breakers/switches do you flip in order to get the TV and the Sound to function?

Feb 17, 2006
I found this while searching for a solution... might work, might not. Another assumption here. We are assuming that the control console is getting power.

Resetting the system

1. Press and hold the power button on the control console for 5 seconds or until the power light on the control console changes to red.The power light on the control console changes to red when the system shuts down.

2. Press and release the power button on the control console to restart the system. The power light changes to blinking green and then solid green when the system is on and ready to use.

added: There is also a Youtube on how to change the fuse. It is located on the main (only) board.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
If it's like 321 that came with our 38 it is AC powered and there is an inverter that powers it. Ours is located under the port settee.
The inverter has its on on off switch on the inverter in addition to the breaker panel switch that is commonly labeled entertainment system.

You didn't say if it's not showing any power when you try to turn it on. If it's now power at all Start with the inverter to make sure it's not turned off or that the internal breaker hasn't tripped.

Then work from there

Oct 22, 2014
Wow Brian. Great video. Not sure if the OP will find it a DIY task, but I would feel confident about the task. Cool.

Feb 17, 2006
Hopefully he can find another boater in BVI that can help him. Problem would be parts. Personally I would replace the wire terminators with fuse clips. Would make it easier to replace the fuse.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
How about an "always on" 12 volt feed? Should be a fuse on it, preferably near the battery.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Gentleman, thank you so much for your thoughts.
Here is some further information I should have added in the beginning.
The 321 Bose unit appears to be 110V as it is connected through a small designated inverter.
In my searching I have read that these units are used in homes as well as boats.
This inverter has a green status light that is illumined which I take to mean all is well with it.
(There are other red lights to show any faults, none of which are lit.)
The only wire (other than speaker type wires) which must be supplying power to the unit is not like a normal 110V wire.
It is a multi-pin plug going into a receptacle on the back labeled "Acoustimass Module".
Brian, you are right .... corrosion is always a strong suspect.
And at this point I may need to attempt to find someone who can determine if power is present at this multi-pin plug.
Not easy and not cheap down here...
If there is power at this plug then, I guess, the problem is inside the unit.
I was hoping someone might tell me to lift up a floor board or go behind a bulkhead where I'd find an in-line fuse or something simple that I am not aware of...
I did try your suggestion of holding the power button on the console but nothing happened.
I have read that these units are supplied with a booklet of tips and instructions.
I am going to look through the ton of information I got when I bought the boat to see if I might have one.

Feb 17, 2006
OK, lets check that inverter to see if it is working. If you have any ac device such as a lamp, computer power brick, even a cell phone charger, plug it into the inverter and see if it works. That will eliminate the inverter.

Next, make sure the batteries in your remote do not need to be replaced. Could be as simple as that.

Lastly, you can move that fuse to outside the box if you want. Just need a fuse holder (enclosed) and some wire. Take out the old fuse, install the wire and connect the fuse holder to the wire. I understand this might be a major task, however, this is something that can wait for another day. But probably your fuse in the unit might need replacing,

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
AS. Brian's earlier ideas regarding testing for power at the unit would not be advised if the power source is 110AC. A little more careful technique is needed so as not to short out the system or fry yourself. If electricity is not your skill set perhaps a marine electrician or knowledgeable friend would be a wise call.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Wow.... That video gives me hope.
I did change the batteries in the remote and it didn't help.
I will also plug a phone charger directly into the inverter as you suggested.
I plan to try to get into the unit to have a look at that fuse that is likely inside there even though the unit in the video was slightly different than mine.
These islands force one to be resourceful and I have had more successes than failures once I summon up the courage to dig into something.....(snapping pics with my iPhone all the way).
I am off for a sailabout for several days and I wont have internet but during that time I'm hoping I'll have time to look in there.
This seems a logical next step.
Thank you all very much. As soon as I return I will let you know what I found.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you Brian.
Good advice. I plan to unplug everything and try to open the box and have a look at the fuse.
Al

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Like that idea.
Ok,, this is pretty simple to troubleshoot
I'm assuming you have a multimeter on board. If not, you should have one.
Yes, this system runs from 120 volts, and that is the purpose of the inverter.
The inverter will have a 120 volt socket on it. Either use your dvm on AC volts setting, or just plug in a 120 volt appliance to see if it is outputting power. If the green led is on, it's own fuse is ok, but that fuse is on the DC input to it. It doesn't mean that it is actually inverting.
Assuming that the inverter checks out.
Unplug the Bose power at the back of the unit.
Open it up.
Put your dvm on ohms scale, and read resistance of the fuse. It should be zero ohms (or maybe 2 -3 ohms) in both directions.
If not, the fuse is blown.
If you are good with a soldering iron & desolderinng tool, you can easily change this yourself
Check to see if this is a slow or fast blow fuse. This is important.
I'm not sure I would bother with installing an external fuse holder. Basically, this shouldn't blow under normal conditions, so it's a make work project without a lot of usefulness. If you are handy at doing this, and have an extra panel mount fuse holder or 2 kicking around, go for it. Otherwise, just repair what you've got

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Thank you Brian.
Good advice. I plan to unplug everything and try to open the box and have a look at the fuse.
Al
Al Simonson, the board referenced in that video is in the subwoofer cabinet, not in the head unit, just in case you weren't sure.,

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
Thank you artboas.
This is the first time I have sought help on a forum and I must say it's working great thanks to all you generous sailors out there taking the time to help someone out.
I do have a dvm (a cheap give-away from Harbor Freight). I have never had to use it but I will try to figure it out.
I will plug a low-draw 110V device in it first.
I will follow your directions as soon as I return from a short sail trip my wife has on the schedule....

DayDreamer41, I'm a little confused by your statement that the board/fuse is in the subwoofer cabinet?
That subwoofer under the seat is one huge unit.
I thought it showed him working in the head unit in the video.
So, thanks to everyone's help, here is my plan:
1) Test the inverter to see if it's actually inverting.
2) Hunt down that fuse to see if it's blown.
Al

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The video only showed the back side of the woofer cabinet, the board shown in the video is indeed nested in the bottom of the subwoofer cabinet.

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 41DS Tortola, BVI
OK. I have a few things to try now thanks to all of you.
Thank you again....
I will report back what I find just as soon as I can get into it.
Al

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thank you artboas.
This is the first time I have sought help on a forum and I must say it's working great thanks to all you generous sailors out there taking the time to help someone out.
I do have a dvm (a cheap give-away from Harbor Freight). I have never had to use it but I will try to figure it out.
I will plug a low-draw 110V device in it first.
I will follow your directions as soon as I return from a short sail trip my wife has on the schedule....

DayDreamer41, I'm a little confused by your statement that the board/fuse is in the subwoofer cabinet?
That subwoofer under the seat is one huge unit.
I thought it showed him working in the head unit in the video.
So, thanks to everyone's help, here is my plan:
1) Test the inverter to see if it's actually inverting.
2) Hunt down that fuse to see if it's blown.
Al
Ok, so you have a "Horror Freight" Dvm. Good enough
Only 2 rules.
Never have it on Ohm scale when measuring a voltage.
AC volts maximum scale is your "safe scale" Always revert to that setting, and only switch to ohms or Dcv when you're sure of what you are measuring.
Most of the times on ohms scale you'll be measuring straight up continuity. Unless the meter is reading greater than 15 ohms, consider it a short. The HF meter isn't accurate below that.