Registered users don't see ads

Boring Engine question

Discussion in 'Bigger Boats' started by dennisv, Jan 17, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. dennisv

dennisv

Joined Nov 30, 2009
    54 posts, 10 likes
    Oday 28
    US Lake Michigan
    Like all boat lovers, I spend time during the summer cruising the docks in the summer, and website in the winter. I live in Michigan. One of the things I've noticed while looking at the engines on the "Boat for Sale" website is how nice and clean the engines are. Now I know a person selling their boat is likely to clean the engine compartment, .....but My iron jib, a universal diesel on a 28 ODay, is covered in fine black dust/soot. What could the issue be? What should I look at? I've casually looked at the exhaust. It does not seem to have any location with real heavy concentration of the dust (hole or corrosion). It has the same amount has all the rest of the engine. Is this just "common" for a diesel?

2. Hayden Watson

Hayden Watson

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    675 posts, 164 likes
    Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs
    US Oak Harbor, WA
    A common cause of black dust on the engine is belt dust. It is caused by misalignment of the pulleys or too big of a load on the alternator.

glaufman likes this.
  3. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    1,139 posts, 587 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Ca Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
    :plus:

4. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,190 posts, 1,065 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    Could be as simple as a damp rag now and then.

5. dennisv

dennisv

Joined Nov 30, 2009
    54 posts, 10 likes
    Oday 28
    US Lake Michigan
    Could "to big of a load" be running the engine at too high of a RPM. I do not have a tach and I will admit to pushing a couple of times last year for higher speed than maybe I should have.

6. Harlan

Harlan

Joined Jun 4, 2004
    88 posts, 10 likes
    Oday 34
    US Niantic
    I agree belt dust is #1. Also you are likely getting a little oil mist from the crankcase vent. The alternator fan does a nice job of circulating that throughout the engine compartment so the belt dust becomes sticky and greasy. Run the crankcase vent hose to a little oil separator and then back into the air filter so it is pulled back into the engine. I'll swear there is a write up on specifically how that is done on SBO but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I've done it - works great.

7. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,502 posts, 1,144 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Belt dust and oil breather hose. Run the breather hose to oil separator and then air filter.

8. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    20,392 posts, 862 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada

9. garymalmgren

garymalmgren

Joined May 29, 2018
    57 posts, 41 likes
    Canel 25 foot
    Jonathan jp Shoigama, japan
    Could be as simple as a damp rag now and then.
    To keep the engine shiny clean and prevent rust, I use a rag soaked in diesel fuel. Wipe over every month or so.
    (Of course the rag is disposed of correctly)
    There is a bit of a smell, but it's an engine not a showpiece.

gary

10. dennisv

dennisv

Joined Nov 30, 2009
    54 posts, 10 likes
    Oday 28
    US Lake Michigan
    Great info guys. Thanks for the tips. I've got a lot to look at come spring.

11. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,250 posts, 245 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    My O’Day 322 has a Yanmar 2GM20 engine, and it was pretty black with the same kind of dust you describe. I sprayed it with some engine cleaner, followed by some water to rinse it off. Wiped it down and cleaned up the bilge, and ta da! All bright and shiny. As others have said, a wipe down every once in a while to keep her looking good. I also changed out the worn belt with a new one.

Greg

12. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    20,392 posts, 862 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    Do you remember what you used?

13. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    1,139 posts, 587 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Ca Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
    The guys that worked on my engine this summer used brake cleaner. No residue, clean as a whistle.

14. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,250 posts, 245 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    I don’t recall specifically...just some engine degreaser. I did it in the winter, and only had a garden sprayer of water to “rinse” it off...so did not use a lot of water.

Greg

15. RoyS

RoyS

Joined Jun 3, 2012
    455 posts, 180 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Bay Pointe, Quincy
    A hole in your exhaust elbow can do that.

16. twodzusfittings

twodzusfittings

Joined Aug 11, 2011
    407 posts, 13 likes
    O'day 30
    US Sassafrass , MD
    Could be your exhaust manifolds gaskets are worn and or bolts need to be torqued down. I recently got the engine started after a three year none use. Black dust or soot flying everywhere. Shut it down, R&R the manifold, tightened the studs into the block and torqued down the nuts. All done, no soot.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates