'Bootless' A 1976 C-22 #5529

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Looking good! Yell if you need any details, and as usual-- keep us posted with the progress.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I thought of that. I could have standing headroom under a bimini... kind of uncomfortable sitting down though

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
After sailing my boat last season and a little this year I have finally decided how I want to rig my jib sheets. To me, and I understand I'm young and able, the hardware for this that is usually used on the C-22 is overkill, making it difficult to use efficiently while singlehanded. I learned to sail on a Precision P-18 and tacking that thing was simply putting the tiller over, popping one sheet up and pulling the other sheet in. It's set up with cam cleats with fairleads on the cabin top so your sheets are always right where you left them and once you pop one up out of the cleat you don't have to think about it until the next time you tack, then it's right where you left it and you just haul it in. I loved this simplicity. Now, I know the C-22 has winches. Personally I've never used mine except to turn the line to go into the cleat, so I don't appreciate them. I've sailed in a variety of conditions on the Mississippi Sound, the ICW, and lots of local lakes and have pushed my old boat as far as I'm comfortable and have never needed a winch to pull in a jib sheet. So before anyone asks, that's my basis for choosing the hardware I'm going to use.

Here's what I have
IMG_5004.JPG

Harken 375 X-Treme Angle Fairlead on a Harken 150 Aluminum and Harken 40mm Carbo Cheek Block

Here's how I'm going to set it up
IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

Think it'll work? Or am I crazy....

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
inventive-- but you might be crazy. The reason I say that is think about the concept of "fair lead" or a non kinked line. The path you will be taking from the jib sheet to that block is exceptionally low to the deck. I would suggest that the jib sheet will be angling down somewhat to the block that is flush on the deck, then angling back up again to the extreme angle fair lead. Essentially your jib sheet will be pulling up on that block and it's sheave constantly.

I would try and line up your devices laterally to minimize any induced friction on that line.

I might be overthinking it-- but take a look with a live line and see what you think.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I'll try the angles with line before I drill any holes obviously, but the block will be mounted on the raised part where the winch usually goes so it is up off the deck. With the jib car at the very back of the track it may be of some concern but the angle from from the standup block to the turning block will be around an inch or two in 2-4 feet where I usually run my jib cars. Also it is a 3/8" line in a 1/2" sheave so it looks like it'll work just eyeballing it. I'll get some pics with line to demonstrate this afternoon.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You're not crazy. I've seen pictures of C22 racing boats with this same hardware arrangement.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I used a dock line the same diameter as my jib sheets to get an idea of the angles. I measured it and the turning block versus the standing block are around 1 inch difference with the turning block higher. The line will touch the body of the block with the car in the far aft position, but just barely. It actually looks like it'll work in all positions especially on the front 2/3rds of the track that I normally use...

I could use a 1/16" angled shim and get it dead on perfect but I doubt it's necessary

IMG_5011.JPG
IMG_5012.JPG
IMG_5013.JPG

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I've been making progress on getting my cockpit floor back together, I don't have pics though.

I did do this yesterday:
IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5153.JPG
IMG_5152.JPG

I turned out some spacers from 3/4" delrin rod and used some 5/16 threaded knobs I picked up at Lowe's. They work waay better than the old wing nuts and now I won't open my scalp on those deadly bolts anymore.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I've been making real progress on my cockpit floor. I've got the new glass feathered into the bevel I cut in the old glass. I'm going to go over this with a skim coat of filler to bring everything up to level then two layers of cloth over the entire floor. I'm covering it with Totalboat Wetedge and Totaltread. If I like their products that's what I'll use on the rest of the top sides also.
IMG_5202.JPG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Nice work, If you come to Lake Guntersville let me know it's a big lake and pretty good wind.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Nice work, If you come to Lake Guntersville let me know it's a big lake and pretty good wind.
Actually have plans to. I've got family in Guntersville. We want to come up there and camp out at a transient slip at the state park. Not sure when yet... be cool to go sailing together!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Cool, we are in Browns Creek, drop a line when you all know.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I finally have my boat back together and am planning to pull it up to Virginia this weekend for a week of camping and sailing. I don't have many decent 'in progress' pics of everything I did, mostly because it was all boring, tedious stuff... but I'll get some pics of how it turned out and how it's rigged once I get the boat in the water and standing tall. For now, here's one of the rig cleaned up and prepped for the trip.

IMG_5468.JPG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Awesome, looks good! Have fun in VA, down here looks like a no sail til Monday.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Here's one showing my new jib sheet hardware.

IMG_5471.PNG

And one of my cockpit floor. I just put the access hatches in the old speaker holes to close them up...

IMG_5473.PNG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I see you've done some painting, how did it go? Ideally I would love my boat to have that glossy new boat look but since she lives on a slip in the lake will probably always be dirty.