'Bootless' A 1976 C-22 #5529

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
A carbon fiber one would be awesome, especially on your boat CD with everything else you've got going on...

My tiller had decent varnish on it for the most part, I'll see if I can find a picture. Maybe the soar varnish will darken it some.

image-3425734690.jpg

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
interesting-- does look like your tiller has only 5 or so laminations to my 10..... but in this pic you can see at the handle end: the light is fresh sanded and all the darker is clear epoxy. By the time you get done with 3 good coats of a good varnish I'll bet you get a decent warm tone out of it.
20160428_040604501_iOS.jpg

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I started to do a piece of stained versus a part varnished and just said forget it and varnished the whole thing. The darker wood did darken up quite well, and with several more coats it'll be pretty I expect. It did bring out the dark spots again which is disappointing. The old varnish must have been yellowed because it was quite ugly before.

image-3973292758.jpg

Jul 13, 2015
I call them "character marks" Old wood can look old :) -- looks good!

Apr 3, 2015
catalina catalina 22 Carolina beach NC
Don't stain it! The varnish will darken it up a little and bring out the rich tones of the mahogany. The sole purpose of stain in the Universe is to make cheap pine or oak look like other hardwoods. Real hardwoods used in boats should only be varnished. Sorry, my wooden boat snob is showing...
That's ok...because your correct....i worked with my father on and off over the years who was a craftsmen carpenter...i herd that all the time ...it would drive him nut's when some one would paint over a nice piece of cherry, black walnut or any of the good wood....so yes i agree with you.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I finally got the deck to the point where I'm comfortable leaving it exposed. I don't know if it's waterproof yet but the known leaks are stopped so I can leave it uncovered for now. I need to do some work under the pop top and on other places on deck where it would be easier to have the mast up, so I stepped the mast today.

One of the lines I wanted ran back to the cockpit was a boom downhaul. I don't know if this is a common line to be led aft or not, but I found it was one I always forgot or it tended to be a problem to go up and do it every time I sailed, so I rigged one. I used a small Harken block and some 5/16 line. image-1112241856.jpg

Attachments

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
We've had several heavy rains this week and I just went out and checked inside my boat and the only thing that's leaking is the aft starboard window. While that's not good, it's leaps and bounds ahead of where it was. I'm gaining on it.

I'm missing the wooden pieces that make up the back of the aft dinette seat. I can't even really see where they were or how they were mounted. I've got the stuff to make new, but I need some measurements. Could someone measure those for me? I need the height and width of the seat back just to get an idea of how it is supposed to be... I think I can go from there

This is what I'm needing to build. (Pic stolen from $tingy Sailor, thanks)

image-367653926.jpg

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
Here's what mine is shaped like out of my '82. It just has 4 screws to hold it in place which you can see three of them in the pics and three snaps that hold the back cushion I believe. The corner between front and side pieces is a dado joint on mine. Yeah i know it'spretty nasty but it is usefull as a pattern for a new one.

Measurements are total width is across the top , 32". Width across bottom 28". Total height is 17 3/16". The height of the top protrusion is 3 1/4". Side piece is 7 3/8" deep, 5 5/8" vertical to bottomof angle riser. There is a small angle on the bottom of the side piece also but i do not have protractor to determine it. Maybe only 5 or 10 degrees?? The opening is 10" x 16".

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Don't stain it! The varnish will darken it up a little and bring out the rich tones of the mahogany. The sole purpose of stain in the Universe is to make cheap pine or oak look like other hardwoods. Real hardwoods used in boats should only be varnished. Sorry, my wooden boat snob is showing...

All this from a guy who replaces his teak brightwork with white plastic?? :poke:

I love you man, just trying to save you from yourself ... LOL

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Pecostx said:
Here's what mine is shaped like out of my '82. It just has 4 screws to hold it in place which you can see three of them in the pics and three snaps that hold the back cushion I believe. The corner between front and side pieces is a dado joint on mine. Yeah i know it'spretty nasty but it is usefull as a pattern for a new one. Measurements are total width is across the top , 32". Width across bottom 28". Total height is 17 3/16". The height of the top protrusion is 3 1/4". Side piece is 7 3/8" deep, 5 5/8" vertical to bottomof angle riser. There is a small angle on the bottom of the side piece also but i do not have protractor to determine it. Maybe only 5 or 10 degrees?? The opening is 10" x 16". Hope this helps. Geoff
Thank you! I managed to get some basic measurements from my brother and built one but his doesn't have the cutout in the center. Still trying to decide if I want to do that or not.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I finally got around to mounting my boarding ladder. This is a Norestar (I think) that I picked up on eBay. It's nice quality and very sturdy, if a little narrow. I like it because it fold up compact yet gives a lot of ladder below the waterline.

I also rigged a flag halyard on my backstay. I don't know where the normal position is for a backstay flag. Mine is a little big for the size of my boat, but it just looks funny anywhere I put it. I finally lined it up more or less with the spreaders and called it good.

image-2747169125.jpg

image-880668725.jpg

image-3549315208.jpg

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
his doesn't have the cutout in the center. Still trying to decide if I want to do that or not.
Sure makes getting under that port cockpit seat easier from the inside I'll bet. You can always make a door for it so you can not have it and then have it when you want it.

My $.02
Geoff

Jul 13, 2015
Having been inside that port passageway and underneath the cockpit for quite a while-- It strikes me that there is a ton of access to a great deal of the water side of the hull that I would want to maintain easy access to. Any leak or disruption to the aft end of the boat from the cockpit back and I would want to be ducking in that bulkhead opening to verify/confirm and or repair.

Definitely worth the effort in my opinion.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I've been busy with other things most of the winter. This is our busy time at work since I deliver bagged livestock and game feed. My truck seems like it's required more than it's usual amount of maintenance too, but it's slowed down a bit now and I've gotten most everything squared away so I have some free time...

We have a trip planned down to the Alabama/Florida coast in March and I'd like to take the boat so it's time to get it ready for such a trip. I blew a tire on the trailer a mile from where I bought it and that messed the left side fender all up. I've had the new fenders for a while, but I'm just now getting time to install them. I cut the old fender off and cleaned up the frame where they were mounted since the new ones will be mounted differently. I then made some new mounts and reinforced them underneath since the new fenders have steps on them and I want them to be strong enough to stand on if I need to.... It all worked out pretty well and the new fenders fit about as good as I could hope for. They give it a bit more modern look too, which I like.

Attachments

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
We had a great time a couple weeks ago down at the Florida/Alabama coast. I got to sail the icw a bit with my family (I'm still getting them used to sailing). It also rained a good bit one night and I realized it was past time to address my leaky cockpit floor. So the other day I pulled up the carpet that had been glued there, and was horrified at what I found. It had been repaired before, I knew this, but the method.... wow. Screw a board under the rotten place and poor gallons of bondo in, that appeared to have been the game plan. It didn't work, as far as sealing the hole anyways.

IMG_4948.JPG
IMG_4951.JPG
IMG_4953.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I've refrained from posting too many up close pictures of my boat because it really does look horrible. I know this. It's in rough shape cosmetically, has soft spots in the deck, and is quite discouraging at times, but I got this boat cheap. Really cheap. And it's got some nice hardware and sails so it's a great sailing boat and it'll outrun any of my friends boats when we're out on the water.... so I guess I'll keep plugging away at fixing it up...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I don't know what you're complaining about, that looks like a perfect repair job to me. You ruined it by pulling the carpet off. :laugh:

Jul 13, 2015
@dzl : got your PM -- I have a ton of content and it looks like you are headed down the same path-- just taking a break from the boat , I'll get you some ideas and at least a view of what I did in short order.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Thanks again pclarksurf for your links and pictures. It's good to know I'm not alone in doing this job.

I cut out the floor, leaving a strip of the original wood around the edges and saving the good wood in the front and back. I actually have a plan here, and while it may not be the best way to do this job from a professional, 'fix it 10 times better than original', sort of way... it is going to be the best way for me. This way I don't have to fuss with the cockpit drains, a huge plus in my view.

IMG_4959.JPG
IMG_4955.JPG
IMG_4956.JPG