'Bootless' A 1976 C-22 #5529

Apr 3, 2015
catalina catalina 22 Carolina beach NC
good luck with your boat ..i have a 1980 Catalina 22ft ...just take it one step at a time...i find any time I'm working on my boat ...it's always a good time . so welcome to the Catalina's 22

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
So I was planning on sailing tomorrow and after reading up on the common problems with these boats and reading the article on swing keels on the Stingy Sailor, I got to really checking mine out when I got home today. My winch and cable are fair, but I will be replacing the cable as soon as I conveniently can, for insurance. Looking down into the cable hose though, I can see that the cable is in front of the ball, as in on the bow side. It should be on the stern side, right??

Apr 3, 2015
So I was planning on sailing tomorrow and after reading up on the common problems with these boats and reading the article on swing keels on the Stingy Sailor, I got to really checking mine out when I got home today. My winch and cable are fair, but I will be replacing the cable as soon as I conveniently can, for insurance. Looking down into the cable hose though, I can see that the cable is in front of the ball, as in on the bow side. It should be on the stern side, right??
I really don't know as i am new to sailing. I purchased my boat this past Oct but i will ask around and see what i can find... mark

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Correct -- think about the keel swinging down into place with the eyebolt moving effectively toward the bow -- if the cable is on the bow side of the turning ball its pulling against the tube effectively bypassing the turning ball altogether.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
pclarksurf said:
Correct -- think about the keel swinging down into place with the eyebolt moving effectively toward the bow -- if the cable is on the bow side of the turning ball its pulling against the tube effectively bypassing the turning ball altogether.
That was my thinking. I swapped it around but too late. There's a groove in the ball

image-2332297717.jpg

Anywho. It still rolls so I guess it'll work until I can get new parts. Here is a pic of it back together.

image-2925626744.jpg

Note the (rotten) wooden bulkhead on the starboard side. This boat was used as a training boat by the Jackson Yacht Club on the Ross R Barnett reservoir and has had foam flotation added.

Jul 13, 2015
Good catch! Easy enough to replace the turning ball / pin when you get parts in.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I did make it to the lake today. My brother is down from Virginia and he wanted to get one last sail in before he has to go back home and today was a good day. We had predicted 11mph wind but I'm of the opinion the wind kicks up a bit over the open lake? Maybe I'm dreaming. It was windy though for here.... I was a little concerned since I'm a super green sailor and I'm also new to my Catalina so wasn't sure of its limitations. After testing it out though the old boat seemed to take anything I, or the wind, had to give. I feel like my 150 deck sweeper genoa was a bit much, but it's all I have. Im not sure how accurate my gps is, but we held 6 to 6.5 knots pretty regular, and once got it up to 7.25 for a short stretch. It jumps all over the place so I average those speeds so I think they're right, but I have no way of telling for sure.

image-1550001832.jpg

You can see from the photos that I did get my pvc rollers on the shrouds, although the caps don't fit tight inside, I'll have to work on that. I think I'm going to make some about 8 inches taller for the front shrouds just to aid in tacking.

Some of the more rowdy pics...

image-875905789.jpg

image-3162324692.jpg

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Well, bad news. I got down and inspected my keel lift cable after our last sail and it's got two strands separated right where it goes into the clevis end. I guess the vibrations have gotten to it. So it's not getting wet until I have a new one. Going to just order the whole kit off CD. I was going to try and piece it together to save money but finally I just gave up. It's easier just to order the kit and go.

So while it's down, I decided to do a few small jobs. To start with, the table has been replaced with a piece of plywood covered in formica. The edges were rather rough, the corners not symmetrical, and the bottom just bare wood, not to mention the leg being 2 inches too long. I decided to fix it.

image-3302515828.jpg

image-3435083011.jpg

I sanded all the edges so the formica was flush and I had a clean edge, rounding the corners nicely while I was at it. Then I ran a 1/8" round over bit on the router on the bottom edge and finally sanding the whole bottom with the da sander. I then stained it in preparation for varnish to seal it. It's drying now.

image-2043833080.jpg

I also trimmed 2 inches off the bottom of the leg so it doesn't seem like we're heeling at anchor.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I got home early from work today and it looked like rain so I decided to work on the boat instead of mowing the grass (like I should have done). I keep the boat covered with a large tarp but I can't work on it that way really unless it's inside the cabin, so I ran 3 sticks of pvc over the boat sticking the ends into the trailer frame, making a quick tent with enough headroom to work on top the cabin. I keep it covered because there are still many holes that aren't sealed and I'm pretty sure a lot of hardware is leaking also, along with cracked gel coat and so on and so forth... So on to what I did today after my shelter was up.

My boat is set up with 2 sets of cheek and fiddle blocks per side up at the mast to bring four lines aft, but no way to hold them once you get them there. I had one winch on the port side cabin roof and a jam cleat mounted on the port cabin side... I rummaged through my bag of parts the other day and came up with a cam cleat that matched holes on the starboard side so I'm using that for my main halyard at the moment. I've been using the winch and jam cleat to run the jib halyard but it's a shabby way to do it.

So I fixed that today. My budget is kinda blown at the moment after getting the parts to fix my keel lift so I have to work with what I have. I had a clamcleat and cam cleat on each of the jib winches, but I only ever use the cam. Since there were holes on the cabin that match a clamcleat, I removed them both from the jib setup and put them on the port side, after removing the unnecessary winch.

Now I can run and cleat two lines on the port side. I drilled out and countersunk the extra holes and started with filling them in.

On the jib/genoa setup, I also removed the cam cleats and bedded them. They look like they've never had any sealant at all under them.

Here's a picture of where the cubbyhole goes and the cockpit bench. It gives you a little insight of how bad the finish is on my boat... Also, someone used some silicone.

Apr 3, 2015
you know..... what your doing is what most of us do...one step at a time....when the cash flow is not flowing then you do jobs that don't require a lot of cash and little by little it all comes together. Last week i moved my boat down to the lake....well i couldn't put her off ...to shallow ...now i notice that the tongue on my trailer had some play ...there is a bolt when off you can extend the tongue ....so i try and get the bolt off to no avail....this week my saw/all will cut the bolt off and hope to extend the tongue enough to put my boat off. so the only thing I'm losing is time. But any time I'm working on my boat is happy time!!!

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
That's right. I discovered the same thing when I went to launch mine the first time, except my tongue slid out no problem. No way it was coming off the trailer without it though.

Apr 3, 2015
I'll let you know how i make out....I have been meaning to ask you . I notice under your letters you have Alabama trailer ...are you from there . I have a friend she lives in Wetumpka AL

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
mark rocco said:
I'll let you know how i make out....I have been meaning to ask you . I notice under your letters you have Alabama trailer ...are you from there . I have a friend she lives in Wetumpka AL
Yes I'm from Alabama. I live only a mile from Mississippi though so I sail the lakes there. I get through Wetumpka occasionally in my truck..

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I've got my hardware back on and bedded, so I'm done with that little project until I sail again to see how it works and how I like it. Now I'm on to the tiller... The varnish had cracked in a few spots and there were black spots and streaks in it so I sanded off all of the old finish and as much of the black as I could without taking too much wood off. I've got a few little spots to fill then I'm going to stain it a bit darker and varnish it.

image-1873072784.jpg

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I've got my hardware back on and bedded, so I'm done with that little project until I sail again to see how it works and how I like it. Now I'm on to the tiller... The varnish had cracked in a few spots and there were black spots and streaks in it so I sanded off all of the old finish and as much of the black as I could without taking too much wood off. I've got a few little spots to fill then I'm going to stain it a bit darker and varnish it.

View attachment 125849
Don't stain it! The varnish will darken it up a little and bring out the rich tones of the mahogany. The sole purpose of stain in the Universe is to make cheap pine or oak look like other hardwoods. Real hardwoods used in boats should only be varnished. Sorry, my wooden boat snob is showing...

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
CloudDiver said:
Don't stain it! The varnish will darken it up a little and bring out the rich tones of the mahogany. The sole purpose of stain in the Universe is to make cheap pine or oak look like other hardwoods. Real hardwoods used in boats should only be varnished. Sorry, my wooden boat snob is showing...
I normally would agree. However, this tiller was a very light blonde yellow looking thing and quite disgusting looking against the darker varnished wood on the cabin. I did a test piece on it and it actually looks a lot better with the stain/varnish versus just the varnish. I don't think it's the factory tiller though, I'm sure Catalina would have matched it up better than it is.

I will do another test though, and show the results before I continue. Maybe my first was a bust

Jul 13, 2015
Here's an idea of what varnish will do to the color-- don't be fooled by too light... It will darken with the finish:
20160428_040616675_iOS.jpg

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Yeah, you have a laminated tiller that is aftermarket. Some of the older boats (pre-78 I think) actually came with white oak tillers. I have a spare rudder off a fin-keel C-22, a 76 I think, that has that tiller. It is grey and has chunks missing, totally trashed. My tiller is solid teak and that is what the majority of factory 22's and other Catalinas came with in the 80's. I have done a clear epoxy coating on it but not yet varnished, it came out with the typical warm orange-ish brown typical of varnished teak.
I'd probably prefer the laminated tiller, but a new one is $150 to $180.... and honestly what I should do is fabricate a new tiller all together from laminated foam strips and cover it in carbon. I've gotten rid of all of my exterior teak, so I'm afraid my tiller will stick out like a sore thumb!