'Bootless' A 1976 C-22 #5529

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and also rather new to sailing. I just picked up a '76 C22 yesterday. My first boat ('87 Precision P-18 )was ok for the family but I wanted something a bit larger so I started hunting a Catalina. This particular boat has not sailed this season, but it was out last season and the p.o. claimed it is seaworthy as is. When I first got there to inspect the boat I was rather disappointed, as the finish on the fiberglass is pretty rough. It's going to need more than buffing.... So it was with apprehension that I went about checking the boat. The more I looked at it though I realized it was simply cosmetics. The boat seems to be solid, aside from a few places where the gel coat needs to be repaired, I think it's useable. I don't moor at the lake and keep my boats stored indoors so future deterioration will be minimal.

On to the boat; all of the hardware is functional, and mostly appears to be there. It's missing a winch from the cabin top, but those are strictly convenience. It does have provisions for running four lines aft to the cockpit from the mast. I'm not sure what I'll use them all for yet, but they're there.

The interior seems fair, with the cushions in like new condition, and all of the storage locker covers and other wood fair. Also all of the wood on the exterior is in decent shape. It has newer batteries, functioning electrical system, and a new stereo.

It supposedly has all of the standing rigging although it's hard for me to tell what's what at this point since I'm unfamiliar with the c22 and its all taken off and wadded up on the mast.

It's got an original c22 mainsail and appears to be an aftermarket 150 genoa.

It' has a fixed rudder in fair shape.

A Johnson Seahorse 4.5 came with it along with a fuel tank and hose.

It has a pretty nice painted trailer with minimal rust. I messed up one fender though. The tires appeared ok and the guy said he'd been pulling it, but I blew a tread 2 miles down the road (2 miles!!) luckily the tire didn't blow out so I limped it 8 miles to a Walmart (this was 10:00pm last night, 120 miles from home) and just bought 2 new wheels and tires and put them both on. It made it home fine from there.

I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and stepping the mast to see what I've really got.

I'll try to add some pictures in the next post.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Welcome -- good looking example of 40 year old fiberglass :)

You've hit on quite a few of the typical maintenance issues that a 70's era C22 will invariably have. I would recommend taking a close look at the keel and all of the requisite lifting hardware and attachment points. Lots of great detail here on what to look for and what your options might be short and long term depending on what you discover.

Only thing that drew my attention from the photos were several deck penetrations that appear to have been filled. Take a good look at those former holes and confirm that the repair is not letting any water into your deck. Looked like you might have had some standing water in the cabin-- and hence the mold. Hopefully just TLC on your part but definitely seek out root cause if it's not known already.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I did look at the keel and from what I can tell it's only missing epoxy in one spot. I can't see anything else as far as hardware or anything yet, that will have to wait until I have some time, which probably won't be for a week or so. I had to nab this thing quick because he had a waiting list for this weekend. Functioning boats with motors don't hang around long for 800 bucks.

On the cabin top I think what you're seeing is where the winch has been removed. I've no idea if it's leaking or not. Most of the hardware penetrating the roof seems mostly rust free except for surface rust which is normal for our humidity especially if it's had water in the bilge. So maybe there's some hope there...

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Good deal fellow 76er. I traded a 4 wheeler for mine about 6 weeks ago. See my post on my 76. Wish I would've got a motor with mine. Likely going to pay more for the engine than I did for the boat. What's your boat number? Mine is #6616.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I'm #5529. I actually got it a little cheaper than the listed price so I feel I got a good deal. Trailer and motor are worth more than I gave for it so the boat is a bonus.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Could I get some photos of how the standing rigging and main sheet are set up on these boats? I haven't sorted through the rats nest on the mast yet but when I do I'd like to have an idea of where everything should go....

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Could I get some photos of how the standing rigging and main sheet are set up on these boats? I haven't sorted through the rats nest on the mast yet but when I do I'd like to have an idea of where everything should go....
Go to the stingy sailor website he's got lot's of info on rigging. Another good site is this one. http://www.catalina22experiment.com

Last edited:

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Thanks! I've looked through his site and it's great. Didn't think to for that though... Doh!

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I pressure washed the interior and the entire exterior of my boat yesterday prior to leaving on a 4 day camping trip. We tinkered with the boat while at the campground and finally got her in the water and rigged. Waiting for this thunderstorm to pass so I can try her out.

image-1768967171.jpg

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I'm central/west Alabama. I sail a few inland lakes in Mississippi.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Well I sailed her successfully off and on the last three days ( We've been tent camping on the edge of the lake ) No problems so far that I've found. I do plan to redo the cheek and fiddle blocks on the cabin top so that I have just the main and jib halyards run aft with a cam cleat and fairlead for each. There's a bunch of holes already up there where equipment has been taken off or moved so I may as well fill them all at the same time and rig it like I want it. Right now I'm running the jib halyard to the only cleat on the cabin and I'm cleating the main at the mast. I've also got to get some pvc to make some turnbuckle covers/rollers to make tacking smoother and easier on the genoa.

image-506191974.jpg

image-1344756074.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep the PVC is cheap and works looks like this, about 42-48 inches of 1 inch, you can use thin stuff no need to buy schedule 40

Attachments

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
That's the plan. Mine has the the little caps that come with the commercial turnbuckle covers but in not sure they'll fit pvc. I'm hoping...

I made, or started to make, a new mast crutch today. I basically had nothing and stepping the mast was a job for two men. This will make it waay easier.

image-959303858.jpg

image-3303761788.jpg

I made the top stud long on purpose to make it easier to set into the brackets. I'm not finished yet, but it's close. Also, that motor mount.... That's on the list.