boot strip paint?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
P1020695.JPG
likely a dumb question....the boot stripe is heavily oxidized and in the gelcoat, can't bring it back, the hull off white, the bottom paint is brown, so the obvious choice (to me anyway) would be a sand/beige, not red, green, blue, white as the offered colors in britesides boot stripe paint, (nothing on the boat is red, green blue or white)...so, can britesides topside paint be used at the waterline (boot stripe), which is available in many colors....thoughts?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's the same paint, one part polyurethane... but.... I think you'd find a contrasting color between boot stripe and bottom a more exciting look. I like black or dark red. If you're feeling frisky you could match up the sheer stripe with the new boot color.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Don't use Brightsides for the boot stripe.... it blisters, bad. Because my boat is parked in my driveway right now on a slightly downward slope I get puddles at the front corners where the cockpit seats meet the cabin bulkhead. The Bright Sides paint blistered under the standing water. They go away when you clean up the water and it dries out, but it seriously concerns me. I haven't had a chance to call Interlux on this one yet. The small cans that Interlux packages specially for boot stripes and sheer stripes is an enamel I believe, maybe try that instead.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
An interesting topic for me...

My question though - besides being a "traditional thing", why do we need a boot stripe at all?

My thinking being paint the whole hull one colour and then just use the anti fouling coat from the waterline downwards.

Any comments?

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Don't use Brightsides for the boot stripe.... it blisters, bad. Because my boat is parked in my driveway right now on a slightly downward slope I get puddles at the front corners where the cockpit seats meet the cabin bulkhead. The Bright Sides paint blistered under the standing water. They go away when you clean up the water and it dries out, but it seriously concerns me. I haven't had a chance to call Interlux on this one yet. The small cans that Interlux packages specially for boot stripes and sheer stripes is an enamel I believe, maybe try that instead.
Wow, CloudDiver that does not sound good at all. I am still having to paint out the deck and topsides of my boat and Interlux is whats available locally for me.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I know it says enamel, but the Brightsides boot stripe paint is a one part polyurethane.... just like the brightsides top side paint. They package it in the 1/2 pint size to make it convenient for the small amount needed to refresh the stripe. Don't know why they call it enamel when it says polyurethane right on the label.
Your blistering issue could be related to the primer coats beneath the paint. I will be interested to hear about your talk with Interlux. Keep us posted.
That said, I've use Brightsides on a number of projects over the years with no issues whatsoever. Go Figure.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
An interesting topic for me...

My question though - besides being a "traditional thing", why do we need a boot stripe at all?

My thinking being paint the whole hull one colour and then just use the anti fouling coat from the waterline downwards.

Any comments?
Your boat, your choice. :)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Your boat, your choice. :)
In the shipping business a boot stripe that is 386 meters long by 0.5 meter wide down one side only is a serious financial choice!

Luckily we only dealing with less than 20 feet long and a few inches wide,,, Relatively, still an expensive decision?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
called Jamestown Distributors, they recommended TotalBoat Wet Edge or Interlux Brightside, plenty colors available, both are polyurethane....fwiw...

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
That's interesting about the bubbling issue with the brightsides. I used rustoleum on the topside in a few places on my boat and it did the same thing through this long rain we just got. I'm not sure it has to do with the primer under or not? About half of it was primed with Totalboat primer and I don't think it blistered as bad. Where I noticed it the most it was over Zissner primer from Lowe's. It went away once the weather dried out a bit. I was thinking I'd have to go with better paint because of it but if interlux is doing the same thing....

In the boot stripe however, I also went with Rustoleum. I did black. It cost $4 for a pint at Walmart. I cleaned the gel coat with acetone and brushed it straight on with a good brush very wet coats. It flattened out completely with a sprayed look, is very shiny, durable, and I've seen no blisters or any problems whatsoever. So my advice? Don't overthink it. I spent less than 5 bucks and did my boot stripe and shear stripe in an evening and a professional couldn't tell the difference.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
someone told recently to use vasoline to bring back the boot stripe....I havent tried it yet

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
You do not use primer for boot stripe or anti fouling, right on to the gel coat.