Boom traveller or stock sheet

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Funny you should mention that Justin. After we put the traveler on the Mac, we noticed an immediate decrease in the amount of heel per given sail trim. Only to a point of course, water ballast being the thing and all.....
That video doesn't show how you could ever get the boom near the centerline, unless I'm missing something.
I agree. "Didn't really know what I was missing in terms of upwind handling.". The Mac would probably have been more pleasant with a traveler. What video?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Now on the left, then on the right. Is she a happy admiral or what! :)
IMG_4097.JPG

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The traveler's function isn't to "trim" the sail per se.... such as altering its twist to match conditions. What the traveler allows you to do is change "angle of attack" WITHOUT changing your sail's twist. So if you're heading upwind in puffy conditions, and you want to keep the boat upright, you can use the traveler to adjust the sail's position to the changes in apparent wind direction without your losing your overall trim setting.
You can't do that with the rig in the video... because easing or trimming the mainsheet will change leech tension.... which is how you set your twist. The alternative is to change direction... head up or bear off in the puffs and lulls..... and not touch the sheet... that's kinda what most casual sailors do...

Anyway, installing a traveler bridge on a pair of risers is a pretty common solution....and it should be high enough not to interfere with the hatch access. But.... my concern is the single attachment point for the mainsheet on that very lightweight boom. I would suggest spreading the load with at least two blocks on the boom.... you might google " mid boom mainsheet/traveler systems" to for some ideas.

RobG

Jun 2, 2004
Ericson 28 Noank, Ct
Skipperdan,
You could easily convert to a two sheet system and add a Boom Kicker to make a rigid vang. The net result would be the same as a traveler but be out of the way and probably less expensive.
Change the boom block to a double. Port and starboard blocks would be a single with Becket and use your current attachment points. The sheets would run from the Becket up through the boom block, down through the single, back to the cockpit. It will give you a 2-1 purchase same as a small traveler. I couldn't see your winch situation but if you have none to lead the main sheets back to, you could add cam cleats to the single blocks as long as your sure you have the access to "snap" the sheet out of the cam when needed.
The system would allow you to close haul, control the twist/leach and sheet without affecting either.

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
Rob thanks for that reply, it will take me a bit to digest it and google some of the terms but I will work on it during breaks in the restoration this weekend. I will also try and get a pic of my boom and the attach points. The one in the pic is not mine. I do not have any with everything set up as I just got this boat three weeks ago.

Dan

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A boom kicker is not the same as a traveler. An installation like this would probably benefit more from a traditional rope vang pulling down rather than a kicker pushing up. Based on the triangular shape of the attachment, hauling on the line would not only pull down on the boom, it would want to centre the boom, and this would provide no ability at all to control twist. At least with a rope vang, you could set up a bit of tension on the boom, and use that mainsheet installation to more control the boom position. Either way, its not a great sail trim solution, rather it looks like it was convenience driven.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Rob's idea to use a Boom Kicker was intended to create a "rigid vang", and the purpose of a rigid vang would be to keep the boom elevated (for mainsail twist) while using a double sheeting system as a substitute for a traveler. Unfortunately, I don't think it would be completely effective that way. Skipperdan, a Boom Kicker is actually a product name and you can buy it in the SBO store. However, the purpose of a Boom Kicker is to replace a topping lift so that the boom stays elevated when your sail is down. It is a support system, but it is not a rigid boom. If you were to install a double-sheeting system you would gain the ability to pull the boom to the centerline but it might still tend to draw your boom closer to the deck. The Boom Kicker would offer some resistance because it is like a spring, but close sheeting would possibly overwhelm the kicker regardless. However, with double sheeting, you can release tension on the leeward side as you sheet toward windward (which may be surprisingly effective, I think). It's not a bad thought and it might work pretty well. If you have a mind to eliminate your topping lift with a Boom Kicker (which is actually a very good idea for your boat), I think it would be worthwhile to give it a try with the double sheeting. I think I would certainly be willing to give that a shot if I were in your shoes! Now that I give it some deeper consideration, Rob's idea sounds pretty good!:plus:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A boom kicker is not the same as a traveler. An installation like this would probably benefit more from a traditional rope vang pulling down rather than a kicker pushing up.
Based on the video (which I understand is not Skipperdan's boat), it appears that he may already have a rope vang. Skipperdan could confirm if he does or doesn't. I think that the Boom Kicker in conjunction with the rope vang, offers some improvement in twist control.

Jan 24, 2017
No I do not have a rope vang, or at least not the pulley parts. It may have the attach points on the boom. I will post a pick of it later. This boat was in sad shape and did not come with everything I am afraid. I only have a main sail but it has two reef points. Shows the topping lift I think.

Attachments

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
You could easily convert to a two sheet system and add a Boom Kicker to make a rigid vang.
I think that's a great idea. I suppose if I were a racer or sailed where I had to tack every few minutes I'd probably want a traveler. As it is I use a twin mainsheet system on my 26D and it works quite well. I prefer it over the traveler because it doesn't crowd the cockpit or the cabin top. Trimming is not as straight forward as a traveler but it does offer all the same sail trim for a whole lot less expense. Since you already have a topping lift a kicker isn't all that necessary.

14917d1185013512-replace-traveller-track-what-double-mainsheet.jpg

The tail could easily be routed back to a winch or cam cleat rather than cleated as in the drawing.

Jan 24, 2017
Thanks Bud, All I have to do to incorporate that is install another cam cleat on the other side. I have one on the starboard side just aft of the cabin. as long as I am over drilling and filling with epoxy I can do the port side as well.
Thanks for the drawing makes it easy to understand.

Dan

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
No problem. That's why we're here. Good luck and let us know how it goes.