Boom replacement for Ranger 28

Feb 18, 2015
Ranger 28 clipper cove san francisco
Hi there, I'm getting ready to remove and replace the boom on my 77 Ranger 28. The gooseneck is corroded and frozen to the inside of the boom. On the topping lift end it's also corroded and missing a boom end cap. I think it's time to replace it as the corrosion is just too pervasive.

Any suggestions as to where to find the same original part? Thanks!
Nick

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Welcome. We will need some additional information in order to help you. Most likely Ranger didn't make their own spars. Can you provide the boom dimensions, manufacturer, or some photos?

Feb 18, 2015
Hi Ted-
I'll have to do another measurement and get more photos next time. But you can see the general specs in these shots. Thanks for the help!
Nick
boom 4.jpg
boom long.jpg
boom 2.jpg

Nick

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
Nick, take a look at the Rigrite.com website in the "SPAR" section. If you can't find the identical section, you can use another one from a boat that has similar "P" and "E" dimensions as your boat. Since you are planning on changing your gooseneck anyway, it should be easy to find a suitable replacement. The biggest problem will be shipping costs. You can also check out some consignment and salvage shops closer to you. You might want to try Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa, CA. At least they're in the same state.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2015
Hey thanks Ted. Do you know of anywhere there is a salvage yard for sailboats? Seems like this part should be laying on a yard somewhere waiting for me to find it!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
Google it. I'm sure you'll find some more salvage yards in California.