Boom location?

May 7, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 760 Bloomington, IN.
Hello fellows Capri 22 owners! I just bought a 1995 Capri 22 #760 tall mast "New Normal". It has been sitting for a few years, so I've been cleaning and setting up the rigging. I have only been sailing for a few years and am excited about my new boat!
Here's my question: I have connected the boom to the mast just above the plug/sail entry slot, but it seems a little high, because when I raise the sail to the top of the mast (luff is mostly extended), the back of the boom seems to be lower when I take off the boom topping lift and the leech of the sail is fully extended. I'm not used to the boom sagging? I've looked at pictures and was wondering if I need to connect the boom just below the sail/entry slot? I think I have enough sail on the luff to do so. Thanks for any help you seasoned Capri 22 owners can give! Dave #760

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@preacherman Congrats on the Capri22. Looking at the mast. Do you see that the slot for the boom/sail is extended below where it is presently sitting?
This would be were you slide the boom down until it is level.
Check your mast. Is there a cleat lower than the boom? You can tie a small diameter line to the bottom of the goosneck (that thing on the end of the boom that you slide into the mast slot). You can then pull the boom down to level it out and stretch the luff. Since it is pulling the boom (and sail luff) down it is conveniently called the "down-haul".
Check out this link on wiki that covers all of the labeled items with descriptions as to their purpose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_(sailing)

May 7, 2015
Thank you John for your reply!
Yes, the slot for sliding the plugs/sail extends below the entry point where the goose-neck fits into the mast. I have stoppers above and below the goose-neck now. I'll try as you suggested to position the goose-neck below the slot, hopefully leveling the boom out. I hope this lower (level) boom will not be too low for ample tacking and jibing head room?
Yes, I forgot about installing a down-haul to stretch out my luff. Thanks again

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
"Above the luff's slug/entry"?
https://sailingfortuitous.com/wp-content/uploads/1987_Catalina22_Owners_Manual.pdf
4.1.3 Setting Up The Boom
1. Slide the gooseneck fitting into the slot in mast and let it fall to rest on the mast stop screw or downhaul cleat, whichever the case may be.
2. Attach downhaul line to hole in gooseneck slide. Do not cleat at this stage.
3. Attach block to the boom.
4. Shackle mainsheet cam-cleat block to the traveller bar which is located on the transom or across the middle of the cockpit, depending on the model. Some models do not have traveller bars and the mainsheet block will attach at the center of the boom and to a barney-post or padeye arrangement on the floor of the cockpit in the center of the boat.
5. "Dead-end" tie the mainsheet line to the mainsheet camcleat block and "reeve" the mainsheet by alternatingly passing the line through the fiddle block pulleys and the camcleat block pulleys and tie knot at end of mainsheet "figure eight" to keep from losing end of mainsheet while under sail. You dealer can demonstrate this procedure. [Not available?]

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@preacherman as I said I have just sailed a lot of small boats. The Catalina 22 is not one of them. But small sloop rigged Sailing boats are very similar.
I have found this file that may help you with some of the finer points of your specific boat.
Enjoy.

Attachments

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
@preacherman Dave, the boom on my Capri 22 std. rig is below the entry point for the sail slugs. I believe the top of the boom should be 19" above the base of the mast - not sure where 19" is documented, although Catalina Direct instructs the "top of the mast bracket is mounted 19" above the bottom of the mast base" for their gooseneck retrofit (https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1109/gooseneck-retrofit-cp-22-cp-25.cfm), putting the top of the boom at about 19".

I use stops both above and below the gooseneck slide in order to fix the boom in place and solve the issue that the retrofit addresses.

If you leave your mainsail slugs in the mast you may want to get or fashion a mast gate to keep the slugs in the mast when the sail is lowered. Catalina Direct also sells mast gates.

Have fun with the new boat!

Steve

Jul 28, 2016
One word of caution on the mast gates that Catalina Direct offers. They do not work on all CP22 rigs - at least without serious modification. The minimum height of the opening in the mast is 4". My CP22 MK 1 (1989) has a smaller opening, and the mast gate will not work (ask me how I know).

My mast has holes drilled and tapped in the base of the luff groove, to locate the boom (eliminates the sliding gooseneck, which is not compatible with a Boom Kicker or other rigid vang). It sits well below the slot where the sail enters. I have a sailstopper installed just above the sail slot to prevent the slugs from falling out of the mast when reefing or flaking the sail for storage. I would be much happier if I could lower the sail all the way down, but until I either modify by mast, the mast gate kit from CDI, or design my own mast gate, I guess I am stuck.

May 7, 2015
I think I have the newer mast in my '95 CP22 #760. Steve Roberts (previous post) seems to have nailed my problem and the solution. I'll be heading down to my boat in the next few days and will post results! Thanks for your insight delling3!

May 7, 2015
I was able to lower the boom this afternoon below the entry point and it's sitting level now about 18"-20" from the base of the mast...perfectly level, thank you all for your help!