Bomar hatch hinge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirv1

May 30, 2010
Sabre 30 manitowoc
Looking for Bomar hatch hinge for 1986 Sabre - Bomar no longer has the hinge - will also consider buying entire hatch Bomar N2029 WITH 3 inch hinge with 3 (NOT 4) screws for hinge to frame in hull and 2 screws from hinge to lens frame aspect of the hatch
Thanks for any help as I do not want to pull the entire hatch and replace!

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
Im dealing with hinge problems also and dont want to spend $400 on a new hatch.

Take it to a metal fabrication shop by you and they can fix it for very cheap.

nirv1

May 30, 2010
Sabre 30 manitowoc
Thanks - have considered arc heli welding - am having a difficult time removing hinge from frame - plan to use sharp putty knife and hammer this weekend. I ordered 4 hole (hull side) hinge from prior to 2007 from Bomar. Looks to me that by cutting lip off and cutting one edge two of the four holes on the hinge will line up with the frame holes so then need to drill two small holes for the two pegs on frame. Lens side does not appear to be a problem!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I would think you could get a replacement hinge from Pompanette in Florida who are the sellers of Bomar hatches.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Bomar Hatches Changed after the factory fire

At least some of them did, like the one over my V-berth. The outside rough-in dimension Length x Width was okay but the corner radius changed and the new one had a slightly larger radius so the rough-in corners had to be filled in to get a good bedding area for the sealant.

Now, I'm not saying the hinges changed on your model but they well could have.

In any event, the hinges are held on with stainless steel screws and the frame is aluminum, so guess what? :eek: Over time the two parts - the stainless and the aluminum - join and it can become very difficult to impossible to take them apart.

If you get the old screws out and re-use them, or if you get a new hatch, be very sure to use something like Lanocote on the threads.

This afternoon I was working on my forward hatch and took the screws out and they came out really easy after all these years. Nice that things worked out once in a while.

nirv1

May 30, 2010
Sabre 30 manitowoc
As I mentioned, Bomar (Pompanette) does not have the older hinges with 3 screw holes to the hull side of the hatch and two holes to the lens side. They have chaged hinges 5 times and don't even know what years they changed before the last change in 2007.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Check marine second hand stores?

You could try checking some of the marine second hand stores. There is a nice one in Seattle called Second Wave at http://www.secondwave.cc/ and I understand they are pretty good at computer communication.

People have posted addresses for other second hand stores here in the past. A google search would also turn up some.

Providing dimension details or maybe a picture could help in an enquiry.

Came across this craigs list ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/2566148529.html for repair or buying and selling hatches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.