Boat Speed app

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
This app looks great. It shows speed, heading and heel angle. I want to try it in the spring.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
It also shows wind speed/angle, best layline and time to tack to the windward mark.

It makes great coffee, and replaces an anchor windlass.

It stops fouling marine growth.

It also shows the position, speed and headings of all boats in the area regardless of size or hull materials.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Awww be nice to the guy he’s a newish member and might be reluctant to post again if every one makes fun. We all have brain farts now and then,

@Will D you forgot to tell us the name of the app. I’d really like to know what’s got you excited about this app.

Les

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Will. Welcome to groin kick alley. Please tell about this app. Sounds interesting.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You probably have to affix your phone or tablet to a companionway bulkhead to get correct heel angles.
It might also be handy at dock parties. If you are heeling too much you may need to find a ride home. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It is probably the app from Jack's thread.

Could be. There are tons of apps out there that will read the GPS and show the speed on the screen in knots. Thats rather easy to code and not a big deal.

The big deal is to find an app that matches your needs. On a boat that lacks basic instrumentation, maybe a simple GPS speed readout would be fun to have. If you already have that, you can look to the app for more. The app that @Ron20324 is talking about is RaceQs, which indeed tracks and logs many aspects of boat/crew performance, including speed, heel angle, tacking angle, sideslip, and VMG. The phone does need to be locked down for this to happen. Most useful for reviewing after the fact as part of a post race debrief.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It also shows
  1. wind speed/angle, best layline and time to tack to the windward mark.
  2. It makes great coffee, and replaces an anchor windlass.
  3. It stops fouling marine growth.
  4. It also shows the position, speed and headings of all boats in the area regardless of size or hull materials.
This is the app to which I spoke... Too get all that and not a divorce feels like you might have found Nirvana. (the state of mind not the band.)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It also shows wind speed/angle, best layline and time to tack to the windward mark.

It makes great coffee, and replaces an anchor windlass.

It stops fouling marine growth.

It also shows the position, speed and headings of all boats in the area regardless of size or hull materials.
You had me at "It makes great coffee"

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
It's in the title of the thread. Boat Speed. Next time I will ensure redundancy.
Thanks @Will D some of us (me) need a little more guidance, in general. :) Please don't let our joking discourage you from posting here.
You can do a lot more than boat speed and heading with full-blown navigation apps e.g. Navionics Boating USA

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I would have thought it was the app or whatever it takes to show boat stats (wind sp/dir) on a picture that he post on the forum.