Boat Skanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Couldn’t FRP be ground up to reuse as epoxy filler? It could be used to make G10 board (geez, I love that stuff!). Would the gelcote screw that up?
I am imagining a monster chipper/shredder arriving at a boatyard, an excavator type arm stripping off the metal on deck, ripping off the keel... dropping the hull into a series of rotating crushers, each one crushing finer than the next and then into a chipper to basically chip it down to bits. Return to the plant, separate out the metal, plastic, and wood, and recycle it all. The FRP could be refined to powder for using in reinforcing fiberglass layups.
Someone please get right on this!
The aerospace industry has been looking at recycling FRP for years. There are several methods, heat and remove the glass fiber to repurpose for non-structural items like tray tables, signs etc on a plane. Recover the resin and reuse the resin. Grind it up and use it as filler for concrete roads. Grind it up and burn it for energy.

https://maineboats.com/print/issue-151/boat-recycler

Recycling works better in the aerospace industry because the waste is located in a smaller geographic area and the effort to recover the waste is less. Think of Boeing and the 787, there's lots of scrap going out the door in one place. And that scrap is clean. A boat is a different story, lots of parts to take off and labor cost can be high. Then there is the transportation cost to move the waste to the recycler. It probably works for Captain Jim (in the article) because there is a nearby market, the Canadian power company, and there is a high concentration of boats along the Maine coast.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Would the gelcote screw that up?
Not just gel coat but all the other impurity’s that come with a ground up boat. It would introduce contamination into the product. This could change the strength and other properties that you value in G10 board.

I have heard that they use the ground up boat material in some concrete formulation. To provide fiber fillers.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Not just gel coat but all the other impurity’s that come with a ground up boat. It would introduce contamination into the product. This could change the strength and other properties that you value in G10 board.

I have heard that they use the ground up boat material in some concrete formulation. To provide fiber fillers.
@jssailem is correct, for a structural product like G10 it would be difficult to get the a consistent and predictable product. However, for nonstructural products where consistent strength is less of a concern, like tray tables on airplanes, frames for signs, arm rests, etc, the recycled product can work. Likewise, I suspect that ground up fiberglass is not used in structural concrete, like buildings, but would work just fine in driveways, sidewalks and roadways.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I did see two winches

Oooh oooh Mr Kotter

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Oh, come on now. A quick pressure wash and a few coats of varnish and you'll have a boat worth every penny of what you paid for it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I can see at least two other sailboats there so maybe this one will have a good outcome. Or the guy is a serial trashed sailboat collector. A terrible fate.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Now I know what they mean by the "heartbreak of psoriasis".
Heartbreaking.

-Will (Dragonfly)