Boat show employment

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
With retirement looming ( ever so slowly) I have been thinking it would interesting to peek behind the curtain at the Annapolis boat show. I would like to hire on as help in assembly and teardown. I assume the shows hire locals in short term basis. Anyone here had expereience in this area?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have not, but I am going to the show. Perhaps you can let us peak in under the veil.

Jul 13, 2010
Won't be this year. Would like to be in a meetup though.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Event work, such as setting up and tearing down, is not in any way glamorous or prestigious. Boat show or anything else. I can't even imagine management hiring older retirees, it's just hard work and long hours with plenty of time line pressure.

Oct 22, 2014
I can't even imagine management hiring older retirees
Oh Joe. We’re old not dead. Besides. There are rules about age discrimination.
And we add flare. Haven’t you heard the story “The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.“:biggrin:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Event work, such as setting up and tearing down, is not in any way glamorous or prestigious
Peshaw! My absolute favorite part of Boat Show is Break-down Monday when the show tug-boat geezers pull the floating docks apart with flourish and skill while we hang out at Pusser’s with a Painkiller in hand! With all that expensive plastic floating nearby they would never trust some twitchy kid to do the job.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Having been a dealer attending that show for years, nothing glamorous about it. Eating in line, set up and then cleaning, you are pooped out hitting the sack. Next day for the show at it again hitting the sack after a long day. By Saturday evening you are worn out with two days to go. Monday tear down and boats out. Lucky if out by 10 pm amid the confusion and yelling not to mention the slow pokes. Then also being on your feet on concrete or asphalt take a toll too. I watched those working setting up to for the show and the too are pretty whipped. Then where would you stay and the costs

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The biggest trick at trade shows is keeping that smile in place!

Jul 13, 2010
Crazy Dave, thanks for comments. I would stay at home in Baltimore County. I guess parking fees would hurt though. I hope you are recovering well.

Oct 22, 2014
@DAVA390 Crazy Dave is talking about joining Les and me at the boat show. It would be great to have someone to show us PacNW sailors the ropes, and how to get past some of them...:biggrin:

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for invite. Pick a day,time ,place. I'm in. Still gainfully employed, so if Sat. Or Sunday, I'm in.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Oh yeah, Dave shows up at Granville, we should pester @Kermit until he relents and shows up.
Are you going to Annapolis? (I’m not but dang. That’s a long way for you. Especially for a beer that’s over-the-top expensive.)