Boat naming ceremony

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
So being a cautious sailor and captain, we recently held a denaming and renaming ceremony. Part of the traditional denaming ceremony is to write the old boat name on a piece of metal and drop it into the harbor. This poses a problem today in that there is generally zero tolerance for any thing being dropped into the bay, even if it will eventually rust away. The admiral and I scratched our heads for a while to come up with a suitable solution. You don't want to disappoint the gods and you also want to ensure they have a proper offering to cover the removal of the old name from their records while protecting their environment.j

We came up with, what I believe is a suitable solution to appease both the gods and the environmentalists. Our solution was to create a slurry of salt and write the old name onto a small board (paint stirrer worked for us), attach the board to a boat hook. At the appropriate time in the ceremony where I would normally drop the metal into the harbor, I lowered the stick with the name written in salt into the harbor and waited for the salt to dissolve. Thus the gods received the name in a suitable fashion and knew to erase it from their records and the environment was saved since adding salt to salt water doesn't cause any issues.

Thoughts, does this meet the renaming requirements from the gods, yes I used the proper amount of champagne (moderately priced) to show proper homage without being extravagant and yes, we said all of the appropriate words.

The old name is gone and French Temper is now properly named.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I hope a toast to Neptune and Poseidon both!!!

Make sure ALL old names are banished too.

Fair sailing to s/v "French Temper"
Jim...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The only renaming ceremony that I have seen involves not only destroying everything with the old name but generous consumption of alcohol by all present and sacrificing a virgin to the sea gods. It is very difficult to perform this ceremony properly due to the scarcity of the required virgin.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Vhoisington,
There are many who poo poo the very idea of a remaining ceremony. I think it is important and the changes you have made to appease both Poseidon and the PCers is an excellent compromise. In fact, I can't help but think the ruler of the seas would see your considerate approach to respecting his domain in a highly favorable light.
I myself have renamed my boat and posted a description of my remaining ceremony. I think it to be an effective ceremony that takes a more natural approach to the problem. I'm not suggesting it is a better way, just another way, that makes tracking down and destroying old records unnecessary. Here is a link to my post, if you are interested. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/the-practical-renaming-ceremony.188929/

It is what's in the heart and what's in the bottle that are really important here. The rest is just tradition. The gods know the gods love tradition.

-Will (Dragonfly)