Boat names - what are yours, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2009
2 30+ City Island
Name it what you want

I think your friend should remember that sailing is about happiness and freedom. I think one should name their boat what puts a smile on your face when you see it. Not everything needs to be turned into an elitist set of rules. My name is Bean, my boat's name is Sea Bean. It's flattering and makes me happy. Hope it's good enough for your friend.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
faux'castle

You named it after your wife...?
After himself, the Lord of the Rings.

Our boat is faux'castle its a nautical pun, among others.

Last edited:

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
I bought my H28.5 brand new in '85 (circa) when I was in the equipment leasing/tax leasing industry.
I pondered names. In the industry at that time, if you followed the IRS tax leasing rules/guidelines, it was said you followed the safeharbor rules - so it was an easy choice "SAFE HARBOR" - the boat was a place to "get away from work" and yet it was the Safe Harbor leasing guidelines that afford me to pay for the boat.

I was in Naples a couple years ago, wandering around the marina area where all these beautiful yachts were docked - I really loved the name of this one-

Attachments

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Really wanted to name mine ...

Cirrhosis O'da River

but, I didn't have ...the guts :doh:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2007
Hunter Legend 37.5 Isla Saboga, Panama
Our Catalina 22 we named 'Shoot the Breeze'. She was a fun little boat for care-free messing around on the lake. She's now up on the Cheasapeake with the same name.

Then our Catalina 27 we named 'Blown Away'. I didn't like that name quite as much as 'Shoot the Breeze', but my wife liked it, so that's what we named her. She (the boat) ended up moving up to Alberta, Canada and probably hates me now.

Our Hunter Legend we named 'Liberty Belle' in honor of my wife's 26 years wearing an army uniform and serving her country.

May 20, 2009
mac gregor 22 montreal
sailboat name

my boat name is RHAKOTIS.....sometimes written racotis ...

try to find the meaning :)

can give you a hint later if you wish

Dec 10, 2010
Hunter H26 South Haven, MI
Launched our new-to-us H26 last Spring without changing the p.o.'s name, which was his wife's name; obviously not very appropriate, but re-naming wasn't high on our priority list at the time.

It's time for a new name before launch this Spring, and the two top choices are "Empty Nest", for obvious (to us) reasons, "Manitou", the spirit of the lake, and "Horizon" for no particular reason at all.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Thunderbird ...

I like myths and my grandfather's convertible Thunderbird that he had in the early 60's brings back memories. Besides, I always loved that symbol. Our boat is a rather large sailboat for a small lake and Hopatcong is a native Lenape name so THUNDERBIRD seems to fit. I think of her as having the largest wingspan on the lake. We didn't like the previous owner's name "Mixed Blessings" which seems far to ambivalent for our emotions on the water.

I put some rather pathetic symbols (pathetic for representing a Thunderbird anyway) on the topsides. At some point, I should have a proper Thunderbird designed and made for the stern, possibly, or the topsides.

Attachments

Jul 25, 2011
Hunter 19_93-96 Badin Lake, NC
I named my Hunter 19 "Calidris" after the bird genus of the sanderling (Calidris Alba) because I always enjoy watching them scurry in and out on the beach with the waves, and I figured with a small boat I would remain always relatively near the shore, like a shore bird.

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
My wife actually named both of our boats... The clipper is "Barely Awake" since my wife stated the the wake following us was nothing. The other boat is Freedom, since my wife keeps telling me all she wants from me is her "freedom" ..... I hope she stays around for a while... My wife not the boat...

Grizz

Jan 13, 2006
Hunter 28.5 Park Ridge, IL
'Shoe String' is easily understood...

...on many levels, although the 'Freud' part of the spectrum remains untouched. And thus 'Shoe String' was chosen, simple as this!

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Bear Down ...

It's great when a boat name truly matches your personality or a recognizable interest. I'll give an old friend credit for putting the perfect name on his boat. He is a Chicago Bears fanatic and lifelong season ticket holder. When he was young, he bought a C-Scow for racing on his northern Illinois lake and he named it Bear Down in the classic blue and orange lettering of the Bears. Some of you might recognize the Bears fight song "Bear Down Chicago Bears". He had the boat when Jim McMahon was the quarterback, and Tom, being a tall, athletic guy who could easily pass for a football quarterback, had a resemblance, especially when he was wearing the same style sunglasses. One of the unintended consequences was that visiting racers on the lake (people who didn't know him) would often ask "Are you Jim McMahon?" (I don't think Tom was ever coerced into doing the "Superbowl Shuffle" ;))

Dec 8, 2011
Catalina C22 Shelbyville Indiana
We named our C-22 Tadpole. A small humble creature in the midst of a life changing metamorphosis. It reflects our lives and circunstances. By the way, I am thinking of making it "S.S. Tadpole". Is it okay to add the "S.S.", or would it be presumptuous?

Oct 4, 2010
Catalina C22 Mk II Lake City, MN
Shortly after I semi-retired from being a piano technician at age 64, I bought my first boat, a Catalina 22 MkII. I'd been working on my "bucket list" for a decade traveling by land and air and camping in land vehicles, so it only seemed natural to combine past and present and rename my boat "Bucket Liszt".

Oct 8, 2008
Sunbeam 37 Fajardo, PR
Ziamar

When we purchased our Sunbeam 37 it had a "cute" name and neither my wife or I liked it at all. We spent a bit of time coming up with Ziamar for the new name. It comes from the fact that we've both lived in New Mexico for a long time and there is a Pueblo west of Albuquerque, named Zia Pueblo. If you look at the New Mexico state flag, the symbol on it is the Zia sun sign. That's where the Zia part comes from. Since we now live part time in Puerto Rico and we have a Spanish heritage the mar part just means sea in Spanish.

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
After much discussion and swapping names back and forth we decided to name our Mac 25 after the exciting times we had getting used to her: running aground; almost losing the jib, blowing onto the rocks and etc. "TRIAL and ERROR". We thought it very fitting.

Dave and Lynn

Mar 15, 2010
Catalina C-27 Michigan City
After a long marrige and short divorce I decided I just wanted to be happy. I aquired a boat that needed work. Working on the boat made me very happy and soon forgot all the negative stuff going around me. The boat name presented a challenge so reflecting on the name I decided to go with "Jolly Rogers" as my last name is Rogers and I try and remain to this day, Jolly.......
Regards
Rob

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 26 San Luis del Norte
Since our marina can look like this:

we have to keep our water-ballasted Hunter 26 on the trailer for the coldest part of the year.

As our family has always enjoyed the music of "The Doors", we named her after one their songs:

"Waiting for the Sun"

Status
Not open for further replies.