Boat names - what are yours, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Growing up in South Africa my wife loved to observe chameleons. Our logo is a picture of a chameleon she had crawl onto her finger when she climbed Mt Kilimanjaro the same year we got out boat. We named it Kinyonga which is Swahili for chameleon to.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Greek Mythology

Halie is a sea nymph or "Nereids" in Greek mythology

Common meaning "salty"

Nereids
The Nereids are the fifty daughters of Nereus and Doris who dwell in the Mediterranean Sea. These beautiful women are always friendly and helpful towards sailors fighting perilous storms.
The Nereids were not necessary peaceful and passive beings. They could be vengeful when angered. When Cassiopeia boasted that the beauty of her daughter Andromeda surpassed the Nereids, the Nereids demanded retribution.

Nereus (Father)
Is a god who dwells in the Aegean Sea and can turn himself into all kinds of shapes. Eldest son of Pontus and Gaia "The Earth".

Doris (Mother)
Meaning "bountiful", Doris was a Oceanid, daughters of Oceanus "The Sea" and Tethys.

Attachments

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Boat names.

Valinor -- Otherwise the 'undying land' to which the heros of Tolkein's "Lord of the Rings" went after they won the war for middle earth. They left aboard an unnamed ship to which I ascribed that same name......So long as I'm aboard I assume I'm immortal ........:)

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I named mine 'Inara', which at the time I just made up while driving to work. Later I found out that its a Hindu goddess and a character on the cult tv show Firefly.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Current boat is named English Rose and was so named by the PO. He was a very wonderful British gentleman who had to give up sailing due to poor health. He was so happy to sell the boat to me since he knew it would be sailed. He passed shortly after the sale and I just could not change the name. We shared many a single malt talking about sailing and life in general.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
We have not named our boat. It was damaged in a fire and repaired a long time ago and the PO said she called her "Phoenix".

Not having a name on the boat doesn't really gnaw at me, but we've thought of a few names that might be fun:

My wife and I work in libraries and have come up with a few:

Checked Out
Sea Reference (a real inside joke to library types)
Dewey
Overdue (not sure that's a wise one.)
Shhh!
Errata
Quarto

But in the end, I decided I didn't want my hobby to remind me of work, so she remains unnamed, or maybe she just remains "Phoenix"

Oct 15, 2010
Our first Boat

After cleaning our "new" boat we found that she has had 3 names.
1. "Whats Her Name"
2. "Kewling"
3. "Encore"

We have removed all the old names, and plan to name her "HoJoWa". This is Japanese for training wheels. We think this is the right name for us, we are still learning!:D

Oct 20, 2008
Hunter 20 Brick NJ
We were power boaters for 10 years and our latest boat is named Jasper-Ram. Sounds silly but my husband, daughter and I all went to Manhattan College where the team name is The Jaspers. My son went to the rival college Fordham U where there mascot is the Ram.
When my husband decided to buy an OLD sailboat, (1983 Hunter20) I had never sailed before and he had only sailed on other peoples boats a few times, the first words out of
my mouth were "You and I owning a sailboat would be PURE FOLLY". That is the name of our sailboat that we have put hours of work into and sail every chance we get.

Jun 28, 2010
Irwin Citation 39 St Clair Shores, MI
We named ours Relentless because she is. She's an older boat that just won't give up. But, sometimes she's also a little Relentless on the budget.

Dec 13, 2010
Cape Dory Typhoon Gilford, NH
The Id, Ego, SuperEgo & The Collective Unconscious

I always name my boats after women; my wife since marriage. Those vessels (as well as my guitars) are also always referred to as "she" or "her." This is to place the feminine presence they hold in the psyche in its deserved elevated locus. Freud, or Jung, notwithstanding.
Donald

Feb 21, 2011
Hunter 410 Lorain
One of my fondest memories was of being out sailing one clear night and being awed by the starry sky. You just can not see and appreciate a night sky when you're at home in the city. So when it came time to christian my own sailboat - the name STARGAZER came naturally to mind.

Nov 18, 2009
Yamaha 33 Tall Rig Nyack, NY
Boat names it took time

1st boat oday 22 name less rfor a year and then the idea of having blown out sails cleaned I named the Boat "Rusty Sails" problem solved.
2nd boat Mariner 28' saied mostly at night after work, "Night Moves' with compass rose included in graphic.
3rd boat Yamaha 33had a few transitional names. at first i referred to it as Ugly Boat.after a couple of seasons of cosmetic work i referred to bnoat as N-SUB (not so ugly boat), However after a couple of seasons of racing I finally named it Race Riot graphics include checkered flags.
The name was inspired by the way the spinnaker tends to come down................

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Being a racer more than a cruiser I used Cayenne for my Seidelman 30 from 1980 to 1986. Mainly because it was red and won quite a lot. Then Cayenne II for my Hunter Legend 35 from 1987 to 1998. The Idelle 15. 5 we lived on for 12 years became Cayenne III. Then I bought a Soverel 27 to race and became Cayennita. Meaning small pepper. Sold that boat and bought a J-36 Larger than 27 so that became Cayennita Grande. My 30 foot green Alura is called Sweet Pepper.

Jan 23, 2012
Ericson 32-II Chaumont
Boat Names

Since I had to patch and paint the transom anyway (old boat but new to me), the time was perfect to attach meaning. As a part time philosophy professor I get to revel in the simple purity of some ancient thinkers--Aristotle in this case. He thought that to be a 'good' something was to perform its' function well. For us people, it means reasoning well and controlling our emotion/desires/appetites. When we do that, we are 'good' people and flourish. His word for this "flourishing" or perhaps "happiness"?

"EUDAIMONIA" ... a perfect name for our '76 Ericson 32-II.

Only now, I have to spell it for the harbormaster...every single time!

Attachments

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Another one NOT to name your boat...On the Rocks. There was a boat in our marina named that and I once heard them hailing another boat on the radio and the Coast Guard broke in and recommended they choose another name.

Jul 4, 2011
Cal 33 ft. MKII Clayton, N.Y. St. Lawrence Rvr
My boat is named "Lord of The Rings". Now some might say it is named after the Tolkein trilogy of whom I am a great fan, thus an inanitie. The oceans have always been navigated by the rings of Longitude and Latitude and so an acknowledgement to the order of the water world. My wife and I had a wonderfull relationship but sometimes when I erred I would have to by her an emerald ring, and I bought a few. She was there to help me choose the current boat that I own. I leave it up to you readers to decide how my boat was named.

Dec 27, 2011
Hughes Northstar 80-20 ketch Kemah
I acquired my boat fairly late in life (age 55) and renamed her DreamChaser. I figured she would go a long way towards getting me to my dreams, but I didn't want to be presumptuous in assuming I would ever catch them. Anyway, the journey is really most of the fun, isn't it?

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 400 Muskegon, Michigan
One unique name and one fairly common name!!!

We named our first Catalina 30 "Wind Gypsy" after an old hang glider company, as I used to do a lot of hang gliding. Our current Catalina 400 is named "Cygnus" because it has a white hull and white sails. I've always thought that sailboats remind me of swans especially when they are ghosting along in light breezes.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.