Boat names - what are yours, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
http://youtu.be/_77KhEsdjpM
this is a song was found for me after my boat was named--name was given in 2002?? or thereabouts, and this song was 2007.....
there is a don juan de mateus writing, 5 points of solitary bird--is the reason for name--was given by a fella who owns a restaurant here in la cruz..

H J J

Aug 17, 2012
Westco Marine 13.5 Jib Head Rigged Trailer
I purchased a 13.5 ft daysailer. Had no experience sailing. Was learning from youtube when on our 4th outing, I capsized with my wife and two kids aboard. We had to swim to shore, maybe 200 ft. The boat was in about 8ft. She floated low when fully swamped, but would have inverted if the water were deep enough. The mast head hit the lake bottom. Went back and got her righted with the help of two other sailers. They helped me get her to shore then turn her on her side to bale. Her hull could not handle the stress and fractured like a cracked egg (4ft x 1.5ft). I took her to a boat repair professional who took one look, shook his head and told me to junk it. Said he didn't want to fix it, would not fix it and if he did, would charge me $2000. I paid $200 for the boat, trailer, sails and all the hardware. Spoke to a friend of mine who had extensive fiberglass experience and he was not very encouraging. I went back to youtube and google for council and with stubborn determination, about 3 weeks time and about $250 for materials, nitrile gloves and respirator, I fixed her. She's not pretty but she sails greatly. We've been sailing 9 x's post repair and I've learned a great deal.
What is her name? She is the sailing vessel AGAINST ODDS. Having a blast! Looking forward to next season.

Sep 11, 2009
Catalina Capri 26 Lake Pend Oreille, ID
First boat, a Zuma 13 didn't get time for a name. Met an early demise at the bows of an out of control Nacra.

Second boat, an O'Day 192 was named "Desperado". She was a tiny boat on a big and sometimes nasty Great Salt Lake, but we sailed every weekend. Couldn't afford anything but Keystone beer but we learned a lot about sailing and about ourselves. Seemed a fitting name. Sold her in 1998 due to failing health.

Fast forward 10 years. Health restored, divorce survived, my one true love found and married, it was finally time to return to sailing. "Phoenix" is a 1990 Catalina Capri 26. The name of the mythical bird rising from the ashes seemed fitting on several levels. My return to health and sailing; our union had risen from the ashes of two failed marriages; and Laura and I first met and fell in love 30 years earlier in Phoenix, AZ. So "Phoenix" she is... although Laura often refers to her as my "mistress"... that name was just WAY to common.:D

Sep 4, 2010
MacGregor Venture 25 Ocean Grove, Swansea MA
HEIRESS - an acronym composed of my 3 daughters' names. Plus, in the end, it's what gets all my money!

Aug 14, 2012
Macgregor 26D Mosquito Lake, Cortland Ohio
"I have always thought that sailboats’ names should evoke the elemental
beauties of stately motion on the water rather than the Freudian
fantasies, puerile puns, asinine anagrams, or infantile inanities of
their name-givers. " A good friend of mine said during a boat naming discussion

We like to name our boats after birds:
Jackdaw Beneteau First 235
Kestrel Beneteau First 36.7
Blue J Beneteau First 260 (it is her original name and suits us just fine)

How about everybody else?
My boats name is "Gone With The Wind". Because when the wind blows......
We are gone! Simple enough right?

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
I have a 1981 H22 salvage boat that had been sitting in a boat yard for ~3 yrs in Mystic, CT. It had previously sunk at its mooring in New London, CT due to long-time swing keel housing chafe. The bilge pump and battery could not keep up and eventually down she went. That owner sailed her for ~7 yrs in LI Sound and was not very religious about doing inspections when hauled out.

When I bought her, she did not have her original rudder (lost in the sinking). It was a manufactured rig by the PO. On top of that, she had a repaired swing keel (orginal, but with the lower 1/3 broken off when she sank), and the PO 'approximated' the replacement/repaired lower section.

Needless to say, I was taking on numerous other issues with this boat as well, and spent the first 4 yrs repairing / replacing / researching original specs and equipment, much to the dismay of the other half.

Soooooo,
"Assembly Required" not only applied to launching and sailing (I trailer), but getting her to the condition to do so.

Attachments

Aug 14, 2012
"I have always thought that sailboats’ names should evoke the elemental
beauties of stately motion on the water rather than the Freudian
fantasies, puerile puns, asinine anagrams, or infantile inanities of
their name-givers. " A good friend of mine said during a boat naming discussion

We like to name our boats after birds:
Jackdaw Beneteau First 235
Kestrel Beneteau First 36.7
Blue J Beneteau First 260 (it is her original name and suits us just fine)

How about everybody else?
My wife was not really receptive to me buying a sailboat. Her comment stirred me to come with the name I finally settled on. The name reflects her opposition, and me finally convincing her to give in. The name is "Hell froze over"

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
two boats ?

OK, CzechMate, which is it?
"Gone With the Wind" or "Hell Froze Over" ?
...Or are you 'lucky' enough to own two boats ?

:-}

Aug 14, 2012
OK, CzechMate, which is it?
"Gone With the Wind" or "Hell Froze Over" ?
...Or are you 'lucky' enough to own two boats ?

:-}
Yes SeaTr,
I in fact own two boats. One sailboat, and one powerboat. When the wind
blows...I go, when it doesn't I power up on my Four Winns.

Al1653

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 25 Tall Rig/Wing Kee Houghton, MI
"Gallivant" - to frivolously wander seeking pleasure. Enough said.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
It's a little confusing..

Yes SeaTr,
I in fact own two boats. One sailboat, and one powerboat. When the wind
blows...I go, when it doesn't I power up on my Four Winns.
..in your thread entries..both entries refer to sailboats, NOT a power boat & a sailboat. So, which name applies to the sailboat ??

Aug 14, 2012
..in your thread entries..both entries refer to sailboats, NOT a power boat & a sailboat. So, which name applies to the sailboat ??
Well, "Gone With The Wind" would be most appropriate for the Sailboat, so that's what we named her. My wife is Irish, so another candidate was " Irish Ayes".

Dogleg

Nov 10, 2012
macgregor 26s Canyon lake
I bought a Macgregor 26s new in '91 me and some friends were sitting down below and I was giving them the nickel tour I think adult beverages were involved. I laid back on the rear berth and said " Yeh this is just like the hilton" (Jokeingly ) I thought about it heeling and added " A Tillting hillton" Next day I named it "Tilt'n Hillt'n" Till I thought of a better name, but it still Tillt'n Hillt'n on the side.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
boat names

i named my MacGregor 25 'xing fu'. it is translated from chinese for 'happiness' or 'happy boat'. my fiancee is chinese, and together we are very happy, and she loves my sailboat. so this is our happiness place, our 'xing fu'. yes, sometimes there is much sentement in naming a sailboat.

Jan 1, 2013
hunter 146 lake george
i named my hunter146 "Rusalki", its a slavic sea nymph i have a chzech background so i had some fun with sea lore

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I let the kids name her and they selected O'hana. They say "OHANA means family and family means no on gets left behind". I think that's a line from Lelo and Stitch a Disney movie. Anyway there it is.

I'm in charge of the next one. It'll be "Victoria's Secret" named after the Admiral.

Jan 9, 2011
C&C 26 Solomans
SOLACE, it's what she was named when I got her, I will not change the name she has answered to all these years. If I EVER get a 'new' boat, it will be, Huffin and Puffin.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
We named ours Sully's Escape short for my last name and it's where we go to Escape it all.:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.