Boat names - what are yours, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
When we bought our boat the name was "Cats meow"...sorry to the PO and Posiedon but that needed to change. Problem was I had a list of maybe 20 new names and was having trouble deciding. Fast forward a few weeks to a trip to Puerto Vallarta...a little girl on the beach selling her refrigerator magnets, she was so cute my wife wanted a photo and said to her "sonrisa"...we instantly knew that was the name.

Aug 14, 2012
1977 O Day 20' Toledo Bend Reservoir east texas
My little Oday 20' is called " sabine river minnow " , i live less then a mile from the sabine river and a 20' is a minnow , the toledo bend reservoir covers about 80 miles of the river here , with east texas on one side and Louisiana on the other side .

Jul 17, 2012
Hunter 36 AuGres MI
Pelican, came with the boat. To @#^& cheap to put a coin under the mast to appease the gods for a name change. Plus the decal’s been on her side for more than 30 years.

Oct 15, 2009
catalina 320 Perry Lake
Boat is Papillon-- French for butterfly and the name of a movie based on a prison escape artist

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Our boat is Guenevere, as in the queen of king Arthur. She came to us with this name, but we wanted to keep it!

In my younger days I did a stint as a magician doing shows. So, the name just follows

And, our dink is Lance-A-Little and the truck (used to be a van) to tow her is Arthur. Got the whole thing going on.....:D

Greg

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Chute 'n' Dawg...

We field trial (which are dogs run competitively in a hunting scenario via horseback), AKC, but the older more traditional field trialers run American Field. Anyway, AKC has "Gun dogs" which are short ranging good hunting dogs, within eyesight... American Field has "Shooting Dogs," which are larger ranging, just within sight dog that hunts well, and is snappy on the ground.

Anyway, generally the shooting dogs are bigger/faster/snappier, and more interesting to watch than the typical "gun dog." This is subject to debate of course.

Anyway, the play on words is tongue in cheek on both our hobbies...

Chute - spinnaker
Dawg - obviously dog but, since the Field trialer sports are more "country-folks" like myself, kind of more red-neck.

It's kind of a fun play on saying, "we're bigger, quicker snappier, and more red-neck."

eliems

Apr 26, 2011
Hunter H28 Port Moody
We came very close to buying a McGregor 26M, even chose a name that suited her ... " Leper of the Sea ".

We chose this name because of the reaction we got in the Power Squadron Course from people hearing about our choice of boats. The sailors hate them, (not a real sail boat) and the power boaters felt the same way! :eek:

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson 323 Bayfield
AnaMeg. We could afford (sort of) the boat when the girls were out of college. Now the money that put Ana and Megan through college goes to AnaMeg.

Geoff

Tengu

Aug 6, 2012
Hunter 410 East Tawas, Michigan
Far Star, a Hunter 410.
The name of a starship in the Asimov Foundations Edge novel, one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
My wife's name is Cindi and my nick-name is "Dino". Combine them and you get "CinDino"

All credit goes to my uber-creative brother!

Windu

Aug 20, 2012
It' s Windu! and l love it! it has wind and star wars in it :)) it can be written like Wind U if you want to. . it's a beneteau first 31.7. l may name my next boat as 'Expense'

dawg2

Jun 25, 2012
Mac Gregor 26D GA
Pura Vida.

Literally means "Pure Life". But it actually has a much deeper meaning. Closer to enjoy life, live it fully, go with it, the list goes on. It can be used as a greeting for hello or as a goodbye. Spent some time in Costa Rica over the years and always liked that phrase.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The last powerboat I owned was named "Bad Habit", and it was... it could have been named "expensive habit" equally as fitting...

My first sailboat (still own it) had no name, so I named it Allusion. it is a good name and the boat seems to like it because it is always fun, exciting, and dependable. never any problems and a very nice boat to sail.

My second sailboat was previously named "Becky Sue".... she was a bit run down and tattered and after I cleaned her up and outfitted her properly, her name still didnt seem to fit very well. so I ended up renaming her "Ansucian" which is a corrupted spelling of (but phonetically correct) the french word Insouciant. her personality has changed and it just fits her so much better...

Aug 15, 2012
Capri 16 Hillsboro, OH
Our first keel boat was named Sylina after a pixie charactor in my wife's book. Our second keel boat is named Knot Answerin' because when we are out on the boat that's what we are doing.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
We took a line from this Robert Frost poem for our O'day 26 and her tender;

by Robert Frost

No speed of wind or water rushing by
But you have speed far greater. You can climb
Back up a stream of radiance to the sky,
And back through history up the stream of time.
And you were given this swiftness, not for haste
Nor chiefly that you may go where you will,
But in the rush of everything to waste,
That you may have the power of standing still-
Off any still or moving thing you say.
Two such as you with such a master speed
Cannot be parted nor be swept away
From one another once you are agreed
That life is only life forevermore
Together wing to wing and oar to oar

image-342999252.jpg

image-2386743646.jpg

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
My first documented boat in the early 80's was was a 30' sport fishing rig & I had no idea what to call her. I'm driving down the highway on one of those blue sky, sun blinding, -20 degree NH winter days digging the tunes on the radio. The Rolling Stones are blasting out a song & I'm singing along, call me the "Tumblin Dice".

My wife Ruth she's a power boat girl & dislikes sailing. She had said you buy a sailboat you might as well name her Ruth Less.

Status
Not open for further replies.