Boat name poll

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
Well, crap.
Rethinking my boat name. I spent a fair amount of time considering the one for which I bought graphics:
You_Doodle+_2017-07-27T16_42_23Z.jpg

It's a nod to the condition of the boat. As I've posted previously, there is a significant number of ferrous fasteners a PO installed that are rusting away. Not to mention that 550 pound thing under the boat. It works on a variety of levels - the torture aspect of the multitude of projects, my spouse may not mind me dying in it (I'm worth way more dead than alive). Funny to me, but I get a lot of quizzical looks when I tell folks. I have yet to apply the decal.
So, in my recent story telling, I've reflected a bit on my first sailing experiences and especially the very first, which was an epiphany of a sort. I'd spent half my life waterskiing. When my cousin picked up a Coronado 15 and I had that first experience of being propelled by the wind, it was one of those significant moments you remember forever.
I just had something click. I'm a big sci-fi fan. It all started when I was 12. I saw my first sci-fi movie that I found so incredibly amazing that I sat through a second showing. The title of that film actually captures the essence of that first sailing experience:
IMG_3387.PNG

So, I'm seriously considering ordering another set of graphics.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I just had something click. I'm a big sci-fi fan. It all started when I was 12. I saw my first sci-fi movie that I found so incredibly amazing that I sat through a second showing. The title of that film actually captures the essence of that first sailing experience:
A very special lady friend of mine and I also saw the movie together long long ago, in a land far far away. she still calls me Dewey (more recently as Cpt Dewey), as taking care of the forest has always remained important to me. I refer to her as Heuy.
I would have named my M25 Valley Forge, but it just doesn't fit a sailboat like Silent Running does.
P1030355.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
Just renamed mine Serenity.... After the Josh Wheedon movie.
Awesome! Loved that movie! Discovered it as a hotel movie rental and watched it knowing nothing about it. Loved it so much I paid another $10 to rent it and watch it again. Bought the DVD when I got home. After seeing the extras on the DVD, I bought the firefly series on DVD.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Dave I can totally relate. It took me three vinyl graphic orders, thinking I had the new name nailed, including Blow Me Away, Sunny and Share, Visitation, etc. Even considered women's names, Greek Gods, etc. Even with this final name I had second and third thoughts. So all I can say is good luck with the mind games. It messes with you a long time. We placed this graphic on yesterday, and vinyl is final.

IMG_0601.JPG

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
My vote is to keep what you got and don't worry about it ever again. People take naming their boats far too seriously, especially compared to the decisions they finally make. I think what happens to a lot of people (including me) is that they choose the name based on whatever is at the top of their mind whenever the get tired of thinking about it. Nothing wrong with that except for the amount of time and agony they spent stewing about it.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
When we got our boat she was named the Linda Loca (Crazy Linda). this name made no sense for us so we decided to rename.
2014-10-05 16.49.28.jpg

We had a vigorous family discussion regarding what to name her. It came down to two options. Chip's Ahoy, and Stargazer
Chips_Ahoy.png

We eventually decided against this one since I didn't want her named after me. We decided to go with Stargazer since we love sailing at night, and my eldest son is studying astrophysics.
2014-12-27 16.02.57.jpg

She has been good to us so far. Good luck in your naming.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
@BlowMeAway - You DIDN'T go with Sunny and Share?!?!?! That was one of the best ever!
I thought so too! But the Admiral, every time she or I mentioned Sunny and Share, started singing "I got you babe!" She's not a good singer, and the ear worm took days to extract!!! The Weather or Knot name came about due my astrological sign as a Libra, apparently to blame for my inability in making decisions...at least according to the Admiral.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Serenity was a great sailing movie, they just set it in space. Named my last boat Serenity.
Mal: "You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
I found my boat on Craigslist and someone had started the sanding process. At one point, it had been that lovely harvest gold color that made it look like a 1970s refrigerator. So, the sanding left it with a mixture of white and harvest gold patches all over the hull. The day I bought her, I walked into the sailboat shop at Lake Pleasant and told them that I just bought that old Catalina 22 out there and Mr. Erickson said "Oh, you mean ole butterscotch?" And that's how my boat became called "Ole Butterscotch". Since that day, I have completed the sanding and I have done some painting so the upper hull is now all white - but it's too late - the name has stuck and I have already conducted the re-naming ceremony, so it shall be Ole Butterscotch henceforth. I have the logo designed, but I haven't had it put onto vinyl yet - but soon. I wanted to finish painting the bottom before putting on a stripe and the official name.

There is an official process and naming ceremony for the boat which requires champagne. Please make sure you are following proper maritime ceremony when changing the name because (a) it is ridiculously fun and (b) it satisfies those with a superstitious nature. I'll post the naming ceremony that we used if I can locate it again.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We raced against a boat named :LIQUOR BOX: -not recommended but liked "STORM BRINGER"
lost out to ANAM CARA -gaelic for Soul Friend