Boat club with extensive reciprocity.

Aug 27, 2018
Hunter 260 Trailer in Amarillo TX
I am a trailer sailor. I would like to find a boat/yacht club to join with reciprocating privileges that will allow me to obtain slips as I travel to different lakes in Texas and Oklahoma. Any suggestions?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I am a trailer sailor. I would like to find a boat/yacht club to join with reciprocating privileges that will allow me to obtain slips as I travel to different lakes in Texas and Oklahoma. Any suggestions?
It's always good to have a boat/yacht club membership. Even if your club doesn't have reciprocity with a club in the area you are visiting, many clubs will be glad to rent a mooring and offer the use of facilities to anyone with a valid club membership. I have been offered "safe haven" by a club or two in times of severe weather, also.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I’d check with the clubs that you might visit. See if there is any actual advantage vs just walking up. Reciprocity is less common with smaller lake-based clubs. If they offer it, it’s like other places and usually on par with what your ’club’ offers. If your paper-based club offers no services in return, that’s often what you get

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
We’re in coastal California, which may differ from inland Texas with regard to yacht clubs.

As a long time trailer sailer and 20 year member of a well known virtual club, I have found that members are welcomed at many, but not all, other clubs’ guest dock and dining room/bar for a reasonable fee. They are happy to have the income to support their club.

We also have been members of a traditional yacht club in a desirable location with a full service clubhouse and guest dock for the past few years. Reciprocity for a guest dock privileges is usually for reasonable fee or limited to one night for free. And it’s always subject to availability, which is often limited.

Aug 27, 2018
Hunter 260 Trailer in Amarillo TX
Yes I’m checking with the Cedar Mills Club on Texoma which is a member of Yacht Clubs of America to see if they reciprocate with the OKC boat club which is another place I intend to sail regularly.
Thanks for the advice.
Cary