Blown Engine on my Cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2009
2 30 Stingray Point Marina Deltaville Va.
Yes at Stingray point. Slip E11. My poor boat.

We HOPE to have her all set by then and maybe even have a sailing lesson or two under our belts! We are BRAND NEW to sailing.....

Thanks for the invite, I may take you up on that!

Pete

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
From Deltaville you can make Smith Point in a day (or you can choose to go in the Coan River). If you leave early and have the right conditions you probably can make Tall Timbers in a day.

Mar 15, 2009
The link did not work, but I will try google after my post.

I went to the marina today to work on the boat and try to get the engine work finished. As the alternator was broken during removal (by myself, I over torqued a bolt and snapped an internal lead) I sent my wife to look for a new one. She went to the Napa store local to the marina and ordered one for $200.00, it should arrive Tuesday.

Other than the alternator issue, I needed a few new hoses, clamps and other engine sundries. (has that term ever been used before?) I got the wiring mostly finished other than the alternator leads and one ground lead to the block. The exhaust pipe was a blast! It is wrapped in wonderful fiberglass tape which came right apart all over me. I itch. But once Bobby at Schroeder's Yacht Systems got the 30 year old gasket off with a chisel, razor blade, hammer and about a cup of elbow grease it was a matter of connecting it to the engine, lifting the rear of the engine with one hand while wrangling the exhaust end with a rubber hose clamped on it up onto the exhaust box. That was fun, I thumped my chest and had a good yell at the engine after that, telling it who the boss is! My arm is bruised like hell from it, but the thing is ON! I got the transmission cable hooked up, after dropping one of the bolts down under the engine. More fun!

The throttle assembly was a breeze. Nothing of note to mention with it. Couple of bolts, a cotter pin. BAM!

NOW, we move onto the engine mounts. Out of 4 mounts two were bad and needed to be replaced, only one stayed in place as we were unable to get the large mounting nut to come loose, even after soaking it liberally with good old WD and letting it sit over a few days. So we decided to remove it from the bulkhead. Not a problem you say? Not until the lag bolts start shearing off under the torque and massive amounts of rust or when they come our they are popping right out! No unscrewing at all!

I used a two part epoxy, loaded up each of the new lag bolts up liberally with it and screwed them back down into the bulkhead. They seemed to take very well and each actually had purchase when torquing them down, and hour later they felt like steel. I hope it holds up, we were going to use lag bolts with a larger diameter but they would nto make it through the existing mount holes.

So all is going smashingly along, I am having a blast putting together my new engine and getting it all hooked up. Until bobby comes over to the boat to help my align the transmission and prop shaft. We leveled out the engine and got a basic alignment, and then noticed that the (please excuse my nomenclature as I do not know what the parts are called technically) transmission coupler was too narrow on its inner diameter to fit over the inner flange on the propeller shaft coupler. We looked it over for a few and decided the best plan of action will be to take a metal file to the transmission coupler and make the inner diameter of the 4 connecting flanges on it about 1/16th bigger so it will accept the prop shaft coupler. Should take about an hour to get it right, no big deal, but it stopped my work for the day.

I will head back to the boat Wednesday next week, assuming the alternator arrives on time and IS the correct model I hope to be able to log in and shake my fist in triumph at getting the engine started, and givng the boat a shakedown run.

Keeping my fingers crossed, and thanks to those who have followed this thread, if anyone has any questions regarding this job I am happy to give advice or help turn a wrench if you are near enough. This is fun stuff!

Here are a few pictures of the engine bay and the new and old engines and my mess. It is pretty amazing, the oil pan was halfway rusted out on the old one, I am thankful that the engine went on us, however it did, had oil leaked into the bilge and caused the engine to seize up from lack of oil it could very well have started a fire.

Attachments

May 23, 2004
Hope that you are back together soon. I am sure that the whole process was a bit irritating being that it happened at the very beginning of the sailing season.

If you google Tall Timbers, MD and pull it up in google maps it will show you how to get in there. The water going in the channel is skinny 6 feet at times, but it opens up to a beautiful anchorage and good depth.

Mar 15, 2009
Well it can't be worse than the channel leading into Stingray Point.....

May 23, 2004
Here is the schedule for events on Memorial Day Weekend.

http://www.talltimbersmarinasomd.com/index_files/MemorialDay2008.htm

I know the channel that you are talking about. I found the bottom there myself! Deltaville wasn't exactly kind to my boat as I bumped bottom in the channel and then I spun on the anchor and ended up aground on a sandbar that wasn't supposed to be there!

If you are a wing keel like me then you should have no problems, just go slowly into the channel. One you are past the marina it opens up into a beautiful anchorage with excellent holding.

If you are looking for my boat it is the Catalina 30 named Spirit of Liberty and I will have a Bart Roberts Flag flying off of my starboard spreader (Unless he rips the rest of the way and they you will see a Stede Bonnet Flag).

Attachments

Mar 15, 2009
Well, I am hoping to get Fly Away back under her own power Wednesday. If that happens, we will take our FIRST sailing lesson this weekend. I just don't know how up to a 50NM cruise we will be. If we had someone with experience with us on the boat all would be fine and well, but at this point we know few other sailors.

I think we may have to pass on this one, but count us in for next year, unless we take that first lesson and I take to sailing like a fish to water. I learned how to drive a stick shift with one shift, it was all easy going from there out. I hope sailing is similar for me! My son and wife are both quick learners as well, so there is a glimmer of hope I suppose. Maybe we could meet up with some one else going from our area and follow them up. That way if we get into any trouble or don't know exactly what to do we would have an interested party nearby.

I am all about getting the sails up and learning how to handle the boat, and my crew (wife and son) safely. Key word, safely.

We have no flag of yet, but we will have to work on a design for one. I am considering a name change for the boat as I have ripped her heart out and placed a new one in. I figure I am due for a name change if I desire with no ill effects. (of course I just sneezed twice as I typed that.....) Ok so no name change after all.

I'm Irish, I don't tempt fate.

So for the flag idea, I will have to come up with something fun, we'll see, I'll definitely post it up when we figure it out.

Take it easy cap,

Pete

May 23, 2004
The Catalina 30 has a big sweet spot and it is easy to sail. I have sailed all over the Chesapeake Bay single handed on mine. The sailing is the easy part anyway. Knowing the rules of the road when it comes to Nav markers is very important because running aground stinks.

If the weather forecast is a descent one then it shouldn't be too hard. Once you get out in the Bay and set sail, you will learn quick. The fine points come with experience, but the basics are simple and you can learn them from a book.

Learning to cruise is also a learning experience. There are tricks to setting the hook, how much anchor line to play out (7 feet of rode to 1 foot of water depth), places that are easy to get into and places where you have to watch your depth and stay exactly in the channel. Approach things slowly and cautiously and the worst you can do is bump bottom. If you do this slowly nothing will be injured.

Watch your charts and you will be just fine!

Mar 15, 2009
OK OK OK.

No sailing for me until at LEAST June.

The coupler for the prop shaft is not mating up correctly with the transmission coupler.

I tried filing it down to no avail. The coupler on the shaft is pretty much rust welded on there. NOT coming off.

The solution is as follows.

1. Procure sawzall.

2. Cut existing prop shaft at the coupler.

3. Pull said prop shaft out.

4. Replace both shaft and coupler with new.

5. Scrape wallet.

6. PRAY.

I am starting to under stand how the first day of ownership and the last day of ownership are so incredibly happy!

May 23, 2004
You will get there. One step at a time. That sounds painful though. I hope that it goes well. Have you had anyone else look at it....you may be able to heat up the coupler and tap it off. Before you start cutting ask around.

Mar 15, 2009
I thought about heat, but it is in such close proximity to fuel lines, wires, battery cables etc that I am paranoid I will cause more damage than good.

I will ask around.

May 23, 2004
This may be one of those projects were it is cheaper to have the yard to it and look at it. You are in a good place and there are some really good marinas in Deltaville. If you have to pay someone a few hours labor to free what is frozen it may save you from having to buy a new shaft etc.

Mar 15, 2009
My mechanic came in and looked at it and tried to wrench on it for a few. He didn't have much hope for it. It is seriously fused together. I am afraid to have the yard do the work as it can always end up taking ALOT longer than anticipated. If that is the case I will have thrown money into labor and end up needing the parts after all! At this point, iw ould rather upgrade and have a new stainless shaft and new coupler as well. Im in this deep, might as well swim out farther and see how deep she gets....

EDIT:

I have done some research and plan to try to remove the coupler this weekend or early next week. Last ditch effort, I plan to bring several carbide drill bits, a couple of drills and go to work on the coupler. I plan to drill it down along the key way and the beat it to death with chisels and a ball peen hammer. The worst thing I can do is ruin the coupler and the shaft which I am planning to replace anyhow.

May 23, 2004
Good luck...that sounds like a tough job. I hope that it turns out well.

Mar 15, 2009
Heading out to tackle it in a few. I have a lot of pent up frustration that I get to take out today! On my boat! Update later today.

Mar 15, 2009
No win. I beat the everliving hell otu of that thing, cut it, drilled it chiseled it.

Time to get out the sawzall and cut the prop shaft.

I am remaining surprisingly calm about all of this.

For now.

May 23, 2004
You already expected the worst and prepared yourself for it so it isn't is bad of a situation for you.

Funny that you mentioned it, but I figured out that my shaft and propeller is bronze. My uncle has a Catalina 34 that is a 1989 and he has the bronze shaft and propeller as well.

Hell, while you are at it, you could just go ahead and add a Max Prop or a Kiwi Prop. I would love to have one of them on my boat and I may add that someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.