Blown Engine on my Cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2009
2 30 Stingray Point Marina Deltaville Va.
Blown Engine on my Cat! UPDATE!!! NEW LUMP IS IN!!!

UPDATE POST 58

Well, it looks as if we have blown the engine on the Cat 30. We ran aground and used the engine to get us back out in the water, it ran fine for a few minutes then died, never to be restarted.

Mechanic failed the engine on compression, and found water in aft cylinder.

They can pull the head and check it all out for us, but thats another 4 hours into a possibly blown engine.

What are our replacement options? It is the Atomic 4 in it now if I am not mistaken.

This is a 1979 Catalina 30.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2009
35 views and not a single response? Wow, I would have expected at least a "wow, sorry to hear that" from one of the 35 viewers.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
I just opened the Forum to find....

...your sad tale of woe. I AM sorry to hear about your misfortune. Being a new owner of a pre-owned Cat 30, I am interested in what can happen to me as well. Mine is a 1991 with a M25xp engine.

Which model is yours?

The only advice I can offer is the usual, "scan the search engines in the hope a site might pop up that can help" . I know that a new engine runs about $8,000.........so you might want to consider rebuilding?

Other than that, I can only wish you the best of luck and hope you find a replacement soon.

Mar 15, 2009
She is a 1979 30 foot.

The engine is the Universal 5411 11 HP 2Cyl.

I have scoured the web and found one in WI that has been rebuilt, top to bottom with all NEW parts including the transmission and has a warranty for a great price. I am purchasing it and the local boat yard is going to make me the mechanics helper to do all the work disconnecting and reconnecting the engine to help me save money. He will tell me what to do and check my work when done, help me winch the old engine out with their crane and the new one in. All the rest of the work is up to me to do. I am very excited to do this as I will really get to know my boat!

I opted for the original engine for several reasons, cost, speed of swap, and for the fact that I have no need to upgrade this engine. I use it to get out to the bay and back to the dock. 11HP is more than enough to do the job, and with a nice fresh rebuild with all new parts, including, pistons, rods, crank, valves, springs, retainers, starter, water pump, alternator, bearings, etc etc etc, it is basically a new engine. We are assuming it was run in fresh water its whole life as well so it will have much less corrosion than my salty old diesel.

I plan to remove the old engine, power wash it and ship it back up to the seller to get my core charge back. I will document the entire process with pictures and the best write up I can manage.

I hope to have her back under power with in three weeks time.

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
WOW SORRY TO HEAR THAT Yup I'm one of em, but, now I hear some exitement in your voice where before there was sorrow. Sailors, ya gotta love em!!
I didn't want to respond right away because, I was trying to figure out how the heck you blew the engine trying to free her up. Did you panic and just hold it wide open???
Did you drive here in deep? sand? mud? Share with us what you have learned so far, I like to learn from other peoples mistakes.
Love Dean :)

Attachments

Mar 15, 2009
To be perfectly honest I am not sure exactly how I did it. I was in some pretty deep sandy mud, and I did use the engine to get us free, but as soon as we were out I pulled the throttle back.

It died, and I tried repeatedly to get it restarted. This could have something to do with water in the cylinder, apparently the water pump runs and tries to cool the engine while turning it over which can lead to water getting sucked into the cylinder from the exhaust manifold. This is a possibility.

It could have just been close to the edge after 30 years of pulling along and it just couldn't take the pressure.

Regardless, I am glad it happened now, instead of when I really need the engine. Now I have a reliable power plant and new transmission to boot!

Like I said, I'll document the work so you guys can see the hell I have gotten myself into!

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
I assume you had someone check it out before you tackle the new project. You mentioned water in the cyl., did you drain it and try it again, was the motor locked up or did it keep cranking but with no fire? You have probably checked everything before laying down the cash. Those are a pretty good old engine, I would be surprised if it just flat quit like that? Will look forward to your future info. Ever try putting video on you tube? It' easy, that wold be cool to see whats going on.

Mar 15, 2009
My mechanic did the check on the engine.

We found the water in the cylinder and are assuming it is pretty banged up inside the crank case. It still turns over freely, but will not fire. I do not want to lay out the cash to have them tear it down further. It could go two ways, they find the problem and fix it to the tune of at least a $1000.00, or they tear it down, find it is completely ruined and then I am out the diagnostic fee (which will be steep) and I still have to buy an engine install it etc etc...

I would rather just lay down the money now and KNOW I have a reliable engine in there. I know it may not make sense to some, but this is how I like to do things.
I shuld be heading down there today.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
It sounds like a blown head gasket. It will be a $30 part, if I was there I would help you pull that head and check it out. Do you have anyone that is mechanical that can help you with that? That is an afternoon if that's the case not any more.
Unless you already have your heart set on a rebuilt engine. I understand. I like the idea that my engine is rebuilt. My engine probably just needed some PBblaster to loosen the rings but I figured I would rebuild it and see how it works since I was messing with it. I had no idea the parts were going to be that expensive.

Mar 15, 2009
Just waiting for the new engine to arrive now. I got alot of work done to remove the old unit. Pretty much everything short of one stuck engine mount and one mount which is rusted beyond recognition. That will be a fun one when the time comes. The bracket is just resting on the remaining mount. I have the intake apart, exhaust manifold off, throttle cable assembly, shifter cable assembly, and pretty much everything else short of fuel lines and electrical. Waiting on my mechanic to help me with all that.

I am only having trouble now removing the galley sink cabinet. I have removed every visible screw and bolt from it and it moves side to side and I can slide it out a bit with brute force but it will not come out. What am I doing wrong or missing?

Yes, it could be something as simple as a blown head gasket, but my mechanic seemed to think it was more after looking at it. He is a well respected businessman in the area and I feel secure in his opinion. I appreciate your offer for help, too bad you are not local! I am pretty mechanically able, though I am not a diagnostician at all. Hand me tool and a part that needs work and I can usually figure out how to fix it or replace it.

I am however glad to have a RELIABLE new engine. No worries.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
Check to see if you have more screws through the counter top all the way to the portside inside that little space where the countertop os inserted.

Mar 15, 2009
Got all of them. There were only two. It seems to be hung up where the counter top goes under the slider for the little cabinet over/next to/behind the stove.

If I cannot figure it out next time I am down on the boat Ill take pictures for ya.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have never had to remove the kitchen counter. I always thought that you would have to cut fiberglass to get the engine out. Interesting.

Mar 15, 2009
No there is plenty of room to pull the engine with out cutting.

Mar 15, 2009
Check to see if you have more screws through the counter top all the way to the portside inside that little space where the countertop os inserted.
Had already taken those out.

Back on the boat next week Monday. Hope to have the new engine in Tuesday.

Sick with non swine version of the flu currently.

Mar 15, 2009
Got out to the boat today and got alot done. The old engine is out, the new is in place. I have to finish the wiring, make a few connections and then it is time to line up the transmission and the prop shaft.

I plan to head back down Friday or early next week to finish up. Hope to have her started back up soon!

May 23, 2004
That is good news. I hope that everything goes well and the alignment is painless!

Mar 15, 2009
Honestly, the only hard part so far was getting the damn galley sink/counter top out. The wood has swollen over the years making it a VERY tight fit. We shaved it down with a hacksaw blade and got it out.

The rest has been pretty easy. If the alignment goes as well as the rest so far, I am in for a pretty simple job.

May 23, 2004
You are in Stringray Point in Deltaville?

My boat was originally out of Deltaville. I was there in Deltaville last year and may sail by there again this summer.

Oh, if you are in the water and take a cruise for Memorial Day weekend a bunch of us are heading to Tall Timbers in the Potomac River for a party there.

Hope to see you out there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.