Blistering on a 37 cutter ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rock Richardson

looking to buy a 37 cutter very cheap and would like some infor on what to look for ? Blistering problem ?, delamination problem? anything that is inherently wrong with the model Thanks Rock

D

Dave Simpson

Faults

From reading the posts on this site, you'll quickly learn that the plastic ports are cheap and will eventually need to be replaced. Also, the aluminum holding tank is in an inaccessable place under the shower seat. If the tank leaks (and it probably will) The fix seems to be to abandon the tank and install a new one under the v-berth. The attachment of the rudder has been called into question in several posts as well. The previous owner of my H37c had already addressed the blister problem with an epoxy barrier coat. I think this item is on a boat-by-boat basis. If these items can be checked off, you can be sure there is a great boat in front of you.

G

G. Webster

H37 Cutter - We have one...

We bought a 1981 H37C a year and a half ago from an owner we knew. The boat had never been in salt water. The boat sails great and we have enjoyed it, BUT... We had it surveyed and the surveyor missed a lot of things. The boat had numerous leaks, many of which we have fixed. The orginial head had to be replaced. Many owners have had to replace holding tanks. At some point, you'll want to replace the Grey (mfg) windowns. We have a leak in the galley we can't find and the ice box with refrig. also has a leak. On the plus side, the other owner had the bottom redone, dried, epoxyed, and it is in great shape. Plus our boat has custom interior teak. Again, it sails great. Would we do it again? Probably. Hard to buy such a nice sailing boat with so much room and Charisma at that price.

Jul 22, 1996
Hunter 356 Deale MD
Love the boat

We bought a 1979 cutter three years ago. As with any older boat problems are to be expected. The holding tank had been replaced with a bladder system mounted sideways under the vee berth. In short it smelled. I replaced it with a polytank by glassing in a shelf and put a lockable y-valve in the system. This has taken care of 95% of the smell as there is still some residual problems. Yeah, the boat leaks around all openings. That requires continual caulking but then I have never owned a boat that didn't leak somewhere. I replaced the ports which helped a great deal. Just need to stay on the caulking. Our hull was redone when we bought the boat so blistering has not been a problem. Love the sail rig. Some cutter owners have taken the stay sail out. I prefer the versatility it offers. We are going to replace the roller furling on the jib and move the jib roller furler back to the stay. Next project when funding becomes available. We love the layout inside except for the table being wrapped around the mast. It makes it a bit crowded. The galley area is nice but would like to upgrade the stove to propane. As it is now the grill is much easier to use and it keeps heat out of the boat. I think the stand up shower sold Shirley on the boat. When we went looking for a bigger boat we did not have in mind a 37 cutter. More like the 30 foot range. We are glad we went ahead and got the bigger boat. Other than higher slip costs it is not that much more for a stable, well handling boat that we feel comfortable in when the Bay starts acting up. And with an older boat the price was right. Enjoy Frank and Shirley Watt Ireton SV *Stargazer

R

Ron Pearson

Have Had Mine for 3 years

I've had my 1983 H37C for 3 years now and I too had some leaks. I tore out evey piece of caulking I could get to and re-caulked. That cured it for me. As for the head tank problems others have had; I've been lucky so far. No problems there. I istalled a Force Ten 3 burner, oven/broiler propane stove immediately after bringing the boat home to our slip and have just installed an anchor windless. Blisters: Yes, I have them and am keeping a close watch there. I may have to do something about them in the future, but for now I'm okay. Price: The word cheap is relative.. I don't think you'll find an H37C very cheap and if you do, beware. These are still very popular boats and command a decent selling price. Good Luck..Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.