Blind sailor crosses Pacific Ocean

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
For some reason I see this as not that big of a deal.
With modern fueling gear, audio prompts on computers and GPS,a sighted person handling navigation and extra help in traffic...

Feeling wind on his face to help steer ?
I thought we all do that.
Its more an example of modern technology than anything else.

The whole "first" thing is a bit of a joke.
Given enough qualifiers almost anyone can be first at something.

Sail a rebuilt boat with basic gear, and defend against south american boarders with tacks on your deck and then I'll be impressed. Or maybe be a YouTube sailor without begging for cash ? A blind guy doing a med moor without any assistance ? A BVI charter cat actually being sailed most of the time ? I dunno.sigh

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
To him it was an accomplishment. To the average joe, this is news worthy. Don't want to take away from him. A lot of sighted-sailors can't even do this. So yeah, I do agree with you, but put on his shoes for awhile.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Don't get me wrong. I think he is worthy of congratulations and should be very proud.

News worthy ? Not so much imo but mainstream news finds almost anything newsworthy.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well, I haven't done it. So kudos. I was just reading in a fishing magazine that there is a paddle board event crossing from Bahamas to Florida. It's charitable. Good for them. I couldn't couldn't stand on one when I tried it. I could have if my hamstring didn't cramp. But it did.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Absolutely an accomplishment.

But I have to wonder....was it thousands of miles of

"left a little right a little left a little right a Little left a left a little left little right a little left a little right little...."

steer smaller damn you!