Bleach into water system?

Jul 4, 2011
Cal 33 ft. MKII Clayton, N.Y. St. Lawrence Rvr
I don't know how you arrived at that 'cuz there is no complex equation in the instructions. Read #1 of the instructions again: 1. Put a few gallons of water into the tank then add 1 quart Clorox or Purex household bleach (5-7% sodium hypochlorite solution ) per 50 gal water tank capacity. It's the bleach that's a 5-7% solution of sodium hypoch

Jul 4, 2011
I think we can agree to disagree here. I have had good drinking water from my tanks since I have had boats with water tanks. I am not going to change my way of doing it until my water turns bad. Your way works, my way works. We can give it a rest now. If the original has followed all of this I am sure they have figured something out by now.
I have an engine problem to deal with. Good Day

Jul 4, 2011
We have two discussions about the same subject going on in two different forums--Catalina 30 and Ask a Hunter Owner...and it's creating confusion, at least for me! So I'm gonna ask Phil to move both of 'em to the Plumbing and sanitation forum where they belong.
I don't think it will be necessary.
I think we can agree to disagree here. I have been drinking water from my tanks since I have owned boats with tanks (over 30 years) I hve not had a problem. I am not going to change my way of doing it until my water turns bad. I am sure you will not change yours. I would think by now if the originator of this is still following the threads their mind is made up. God Bless and I hope whatever they chose works. If not they can try something else.
As for me I have a more pressing engine problem I have to tackle, so I can get out on the water again.
I hope to speak to you in future posts.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's nothing to agree or disagree about...it's your boat, do or don't do whatever floats it for you.

Fwiw, I didn't make up the directions I've posted--and include in both my books...they're been the recommended procedure for recommissioning RV fresh water systems for more than 30 years. A few boat builders began including 'em in their owners manuals, which is where I first saw them--in the owners manual for a 1985 34' Sea Ray. Today you can find those exact directions on just about every RV site on the net.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
There's nothing to agree or disagree about...it's your boat, do or don't do whatever floats it for you.

Fwiw, I didn't make up the directions I've posted--and include in both my books...they're been the recommended procedure for recommissioning RV fresh water systems for more than 30 years. A few boat builders began including 'em in their owners manuals, which is where I first saw them--in the owners manual for a 1985 34' Sea Ray. Today you can find those exact directions on just about every RV site on the net.
i have been doing that since about 1967 when we had a Concord camper ...i also drank water from a mountain stream every time i crossed it going in and out of my parents 5 mile long road to the lake cabin in the ozarks on Greers Ferry lake ...it was about 1/2 way in ...i always stopped and got a good drink both coming and going......

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I am only reading the directions on the bottle. The bottle gives no instructions for use in a water tank, but it does say for disinfecting use the toilet bowl solution.
Those are instructions for disinfecting a HOUSEHOLD toilet bowl...there are no rubber parts in it or the sewer plumbing. Marine toilet pumps are full of rubber parts and most discharge lines are rubber or flex PVC.
So the bleach will not damage the rubber in the water pump for the sink and head system?
An annual or semi-annual recommissioning won't, but using it repeatedly to "sanitize" the toilet bowl will. But I've never seen the point of sanitizing a toilet bowl on a boat anyway...the first flush just contaminates it again. Clean it, yes...put a little Comet on a wet paper towel (you can buy disposable gloves in the pain department of any big box hardware store)...wipe out the bowl... wipe up the Comet residue...flush. Done.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Every spring after refilling the tanks 1/2 way I add one gallon of bleach to each tank and then fill completely. I then let them sit for approximately one week then drain completely and refill. I have done this for 30 plus years with no issues. I let the bleach set in the tanks and lines for a week so that everything gets sanitized.

Note I don't used nontoxic antifreeze in my tanks I blow out my water lines, if you use antifreeze then purge it out before treatment.