Blasphemy by Winch Over-haul

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
So I got this is old Barient 24 Self Tailer on eBay for $99. I love bronze, like so many of us do, and the rich patina it forms through the years. As I suspected when buying a really old winch on eBay, especially on the cheap, that there was probably some work that needed to be done. When I received it I couldn't get it to turn by hand. So I opened her up and sure enough found old grease caked on everything so thick that it was more like clay. A service wasn't enough, this needed a full over-haul. (Like a dummy, I forgot to take any 'before' pictures of the insides or the process... sorry!)

Sep 8, 2014
So here comes the blasphemy part... Maybe its just the old Sea-Dogs or maybe its the Wooden Boat crowd, but someone would probably want to choke me out for taking that beautiful patina off! Unfortunately, when the grease is so thick and gummy, I have no choice but to break out my heavy degreaser solution which is a phosphoric acid based de-scaler and degreaser. I buy it by the gallon mostly for cleaning stainless steel and other metals prior to TIG welding. When you soak metals in this solution with warm water it will clean up grease pretty well but it also turns old bronze to new(ish) looking bronze fairly quickly. So after getting the majority of the grease off with the degreaser I used scotchbrite pads to brighten up the rest. The results speak for themselves.
I took me several hours over 2 days to get all the really stuck on dirty-clay-grease from in between all the gear teeth, especially inside the bell housing. I put in a new set of pawl springs, the pawls were fine, a pawl oil. I used a good but light coat of Lewmar winch grease on the gear and bearing surfaces; this winch isn't going back to Sea duty, it will be the jewel and workhorse bolted to the far front corner of my butcher-block Rigger's bench. (More on that project later).

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
It was beautiful before, and it's even more beautiful now! Trophy case indeed. It's a work of art.

You should send these pictures to the guys at Hutton (the follow-on company to Barient/Barlow). I bet they'd get a kick out of it.

Sales@huttonwinches.com

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Nothing more satisfying than to see a good tool returned to top shape!

Sep 8, 2014
That looks great, are you keeping it in the trophy case?

All U Get
Yes and No... I am building what some people call a 'Belay Table' but the rest of us might call just a 'Rigger's Bench'. I have an 8 foot piece of 1.5 inch thick butcher block counter top that I got off CL for $100. I am welding a steel table base for the bench and putting the bench in my home office. The table has some special features for doing general line work and splicing to include the winch mounted on the table. Particular for my needs, the winch will add tension to Dyneema to remove construction stretch after splicing. I will be making a dedicated post to this bench when complete... I have the steel for the table base but have not started fabrication yet.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Luke, were you able to find instructions on how to service that beauty, or did you just wing it? I picked up a pair of Barient 21ST's for my Albin Vega, but I've never worked on ST's before.

And, add me to the list of shallow, superficial people who find that winch much prettier now that you cleaned it up. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sep 8, 2014
Luke, were you able to find instructions on how to service that beauty, or did you just wing it? I picked up a pair of Barient 21ST's for my Albin Vega, but I've never worked on ST's before.

And, add me to the list of shallow, superficial people who find that winch much prettier now that you cleaned it up. :thumbup::thumbup:
I found a Youtube video of reassembly of a Barient 24. There is also a video of Barient 21's. Its easy... all of the gears have a different shape or flange so it can only go back together the way it was intended, you can't mis-match parts.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I, for one, do not equate the "patina" aesthetic to classic sailboats. The only way it could remotely be considered is if all the hardware on the boat was original and displayed the patina on it's bronze fittings and fixtures. I just can't include a 70's or 80's Catalina 22 in that category. Especially when it is a replacement upgrade. It's just not the same as restoring cars or old homes.
You did the right thing by dressing it up... It looks good.

Sep 8, 2014
I, for one, do not equate the "patina" aesthetic to classic sailboats. The only way it could remotely be considered is if all the hardware on the boat was original and displayed the patina on it's bronze fittings and fixtures. I just can't include a 70's or 80's Catalina 22 in that category. Especially when it is a replacement upgrade. It's just not the same as restoring cars or old homes.
You did the right thing by dressing it up... It looks good.
Thanks... But I'm not using on my C22, way too big for that boat. The base would not even fit on the cockpit coaming.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's gorgeous! Practical Sailor just did an evaluation of old and new winches. If they aren't already seeing this, you should send them a pic.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I just bartered some service work for two of these
2016-10-31 18.26.52.jpg

Off of a derelict sloop being used as a decorative landscape item in front of a seafood restaurant.

2016-10-31 18.26.41.jpg

They are Barlow 28 Self Tailers in Bronze. How would you go about restoring them?
2016-10-31 18.27.00.jpg

They both turn easy. Would you use them on your boat or as Display items?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Now that it is beautifully restored, you could enjoy the patina as it re-develops. But it sounds like it will be an indoor tool, now. Looks beautiful, nevertheless.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes and No... I am building what some people call a 'Belay Table' but the rest of us might call just a 'Rigger's Bench'. I have an 8 foot piece of 1.5 inch thick butcher block counter top that I got off CL for $100. I am welding a steel table base for the bench and putting the bench in my home office. The table has some special features for doing general line work and splicing to include the winch mounted on the table. Particular for my needs, the winch will add tension to Dyneema to remove construction stretch after splicing. I will be making a dedicated post to this bench when complete... I have the steel for the table base but have not started fabrication yet.
Nice job, and perfect use for it. Those old self-tailers have nonadjustable jaws, and that size winch would require a line much bigger than you could ever use on your 22.

Footnote: i'm not sure about the exact timing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Lewmar ocean series winch (introduced in the mid 90s) didn't put Barient and all those other winch companies out of business. Superbly functional, strip down-able without tools, and adjustable jaws made them the ideal winch. 20 years ago and still true today.

Sep 8, 2014
Nice job, and perfect use for it. Those old self-tailers have nonadjustable jaws, and that size winch would require a line much bigger than you could ever use on your 22.

Footnote: i'm not sure about the exact timing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Lewmar ocean series winch (introduced in the mid 90s) didn't put Barient and all those other winch companies out of business. Superbly functional, strip down-able without tools, and adjustable jaws made them the ideal winch. 20 years ago and still true today.
There is actually some slight adjustability in the jaws. There are three springs on stepped shoulder bolts above the upper jaw, so they will open a little, maybe 3/16" total travel. You are correct about the line size, this jaw size holds a line in a range between probably 3/8 minimum to 9/16. For use on my belay table I got a 15 length of 3/8 Amsteel (50% off from the cut-offs section) and put a dyneema cover on it for grip. I spliced an eye in the end so I can attach smaller line sizes while the big line does the work of pulling.

Sep 8, 2014
I just bartered some service work for two of theseView attachment 129745
Off of a derelict sloop being used as a decorative landscape item in front of a seafood restaurant.

View attachment 129746
They are Barlow 28 Self Tailers in Bronze. How would you go about restoring them?
View attachment 129747
They both turn easy. Would you use them on your boat or as Display items?
BUGGER ME RUNNING! What a great score! Those are amazing, and yes, I would use them on a boat. You would be amazed at how well the internal parts hold up, I doubt any of the bearings or gears are damaged beyond servicing. It is possible, but only in the case that I found something destroyed beyond repair on the internals would I retire those to display use only.

You would be surprised at how easy they are to service. You'll need a spanner wrench to open the top plate. A deck-key is supposed to work but the key I have will not fit mine. The youtube videos I posted above are a good guide, even if it is not the exact the model you will find many similarities. All of the gears and bearings tend to be shaped differently, so most of the components only fit together in one way... hard to get it wrong. A 5 gallon bucket with hot water and a really strong degreaser is very helpful. It is incredible how the grease turns waxy and sticky (plus full of dirt) and makes it pain to clean. The strong degreaser I use is a welding metal cleaner that uses phosphoric acid as the active ingredient. Any welding supply store (Air-gas or Praxair) should have this cleaner for about $12 a gallon. CLR is a great substitute if you can't get anything stronger. Small Brass or Stainless brushes, picks, and scotch brite pads are a must. The acid in my degreaser is what takes off the patina and brightens it to the new bronze look. If you want to keep the patina use only Simple Green to clean and degrease, but it will take more effort. Soaking time in really hot cleaning solution is your friend!
The Lewmar Winch Service kit (the one with grease, pawl oil, brush, pawl springs, and extra pawls) is worth the cost when servicing two winches. Good look and post pics! Great find. I am completely jealous!