Birth of a new mainsail

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
First, fun thread to follow. I most likely won't be buying a laminate sail but fun to watch the process and they do look sharp.

Jackdaw, a quick question on this comment, if you'll excuse the drift.
Even when brand new, dacron stretches as breeze hits it, and the stretch translates into lost power.
With a fixed boom height, low stretch halyard, luff tight enough sweating the halyard will tighten no further, will too light of cloth or poor quality cloth, stretch enough in a 10kt breeze to loosen the lower luff enough to cause the sail to lose shape and require pulling the Cunningham down 2" to 3" to retighten the luff?

Apr 6, 2013
Beneteau 35s5 Belleville
Jackdaw, Admiring your new main photos.
Question on the reef point. I see it does not have any mid-point tie off grommets. When you reef , what do you do with the extra cloth ? How do you secure it ? Do you roll the sail ? / Steve

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Question on the reef point. I see it does not have any mid-point tie off grommets. When you reef , what do you do with the extra cloth ? How do you secure it ? Do you roll the sail ? / Steve
Good eye. There are no mid-sail eyes; I chose not to have them. Note that is primarily a racing sail, which we carry fully hoisted into about 20 knots of true wind. When we reef (which is about twice a year) the reefed part of the sail lays in a neat fold along side the boom

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I saw the same on the the Volvo Ocean 65s during in port races (when I'd occasionally catch a video.) I think it's rare for a race boat to tie up the first reef.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I saw the same on the the Volvo Ocean 65s during in port races (when I'd occasionally catch a video.) I think it's rare for a race boat to tie up the first reef.
Yes, tieing the mainsail to the boom through a mid-sail eye can be a disaster if you forget a tie when shaking out a reef. Easy to do while in the rush of racing, and/or at night. Plus it's just extra work; we often reef up and then off several times during a race.