Bimini logistics

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My boat came with a Bimini top, which has no mounts installed at this time. The wife and I finally dragged it out of the shed this weekend, and "dry fitted" it on the boat to see what was what. Some questions:

When the Bimini is not in use, do people leave it folded forward, folded aft, or stowed below? IF you leave it folded above decks, how much does it get in the way of normal sailing operations?

Can you/do you/would you ever sail with it raised?

Do you miss being able to stand up?

Are they typically mounted on the deck, or up on the coaming?

I can't say for sure, but I feel like this top may be a little oversized for a C22. The frame is 7' wide, 4' tall, and measures 5' 10" fore and aft. It dwarfs this one on eBay, which measures 6' 3" wide, 32" tall, and 4' 4" fore and aft: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catalina-22..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item540912b0b3&vxp=mtr. It's taller and wider than the ones at CD as well, which come in at 6' 4" wide, 3' tall, and 6' fore and aft (except for the ones labeled "large"): http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...c-hardware-custom-color-poly-guard-fabric.cfm.

Thanks for any info or advice you may have. Spring has arrived in central Florida, and I'm keenly interested in getting some shade pretty soon. ;)

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Forward, even when trailering. But as the photo shows, it's forward of the hatch so it doesn't get in our way. But 99% of the time we leave it up when the boat is in the slip. I drilled and tapped the back portion of the jib track,(we don't have a 150), and installed angled bimini mounts. Checkout Marine Parts Depot, GREAT prices on any bimini hardware, and quality fit and finish. But this is on a MK-II version, which are a different breed. Works pretty good for us.

Don

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Don,

Does the bimini interfere with the boom?

By the way, what was the wind like when that picture was taken?

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I put my bimini up when I put the boat in the water and down when I take the boat out.

That's been spring/fall for me.

Every bimini is different so a lot of advice you get from different people is not gonna apply they weren't standard equipment.

Mine isn't wide enough to reach to the jib track. Your might be you'll have to measure. Mine mounts to the rail that your jib wench is on, on both sides.

Works fine with the sails never touches.
I try not to stand up anyway on my boat.
I don't like sun burns and I like being in the shade so it's a must have for me.
Anything you put in our small boat is gonna be in the way I don't care if it's a tooth pick holder the boat is small and you have to weigh the pro's and con's for yourself again for me it's must have equipment but for you, you might not like it.
Mine like above folds forward onto the cabin top it works better but it's how you mount it as to where it folds but I recommend forward because if lets say your done for the day and you like folding yours up (I don't) and you fold it back well your not gonna be able to get to your motor.

Anyway set it up on the boat don't mount it just hold it there and see if you like it.

Issues?
Hard to see mainsail
Even harder to see tell tails
Neck strain to see wind vane
In the way going forward
Something else to go wrong and maintain
Birds seem to be magnetically attracted to it to poop.
Putting the mainsail cover on is a pain working over top of it (solved if you put it down at night)

Anyway hope that helps

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I was considering a bimini for my C22 too but soon talked myself out of it. Being 6'5" the only place to stand and stretch out is in the cockpit or deck. Didn't like the idea of having it in the way plus the limited visibility of the sails, telltails, etc. I think I'll go with a boom tent when anchored and use a big hat, sunscreen and maybe a couple rail mounted adjustable umbrellas when out sailing. I will be installing a bimini on my H30 project boat thought. Plenty of stand up room under the boom on that boat.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
DixieDawg,

I just finished putting one on my C22 so here's what worked for me.

84" is not too wide if you want to mount it on your jib tracks. I mounted mine on a separate bimini track along the outside of the gunwale. If it's an aluminum knock-down type frame with riveted connectors, you can probably cut the width down a little. Not too much, though, or the cover won't fit right.

Same with the height as far as cutting it down. I believe the CD 36" biminis are intended to be mounted on top of the gunwales. I ordered a taller than stock bimini and cut 5" height off to just clear under the boom. At 5'8" I can stand up under it in most places in the cockpit.

6' front to back is about right. This covers about 2/3 of the cockpit. If mounted on tracks, you can slide it forward and lay it up in front of the pop top like Don said. Or slide it to the middle where it's out of the way of the winches and still be able to see over it from the helm. Or slide it to the rear and have clear headroom around the companionway. And with the optional support poles attached to the pulpit, slide it aft and lean it back well out of the way.

I don't have pics right now, but I have a blog post in the works about it. If you have more questions or need pics, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Picflight,

No, the bimini is just a couple inches below the boom. I purchaced the bimini on Craigslist from a powerboat. I just adjusted the mount tube.

The wind in the photo was "fresh" :) Don't remember the speed, was taken during one of the fun races at the Havasu Pocket Cruiser Convention a couple years ago,(no rounding up with a Rudder-Craft rudder either!).

Don

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I keep mine forward when under sail as pictured in this photo. I almost never sail with it up but have a few times, it has an observation window for the wind vain and is mounted on separate tracks. It clears the boom by a few inches so no worries there.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I'll go ahead and add my two cents in here for what it's worth. My fishing boat came with a Bimini and I got to looking at ways of fitting it to the sail boat for double duty about a year ago. The first thing I had to do was cut about 3" off the legs to get it to clear the boom and the second thing was to figure out where to mount it. Mine is too narrow to mount on the outboard edges of the deck and too wide to mount to the top of the coaming so I did some careful creative bending and bought the Bimini tracks from Catalina Direct to mount it on. I can slide it forward to cover part of the companionway when at anchor or slide it back right up to the main sheet for more cockpit shade while sailing. Instead of drilling more holes in the deck and installing strap hooks, I simply made some loops out of 1/8" line and have experimented around with different temporary anchoring points for the 4 straps. I guess it's still a work in progress and probably will be for a while but I can't imagine sailing without it now.

Aug 19, 2012
Catalina 22 Seabrook, TX
Great thread.
Likewise, here in Texas the summer sun is rough on my skin cancer prone body.
Has anyone tried one of the cheapo biminis off ebay? If so, what size did you order, and from who? I have an '84 model 22.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

a year ago I found a Bimini Top on E-bay... it was for my Mac25, worked great on it... I used it a lot on the boat, but not when I was sailing... I no longer have the Mac25, but I kept the Bimini... it was one of the cheaper ones from E-bay.... it works great, but the fittings are plastic and the frame is aluminum...

I measured the frame and I plan to install my Bimini on my '71 Morgan 35' sailboat... the Bimini will not cover the whole cockpit, but that is good... it will stop just over the wheel steering, and allow me to stand behind the wheel and see everything above it... it will work great for my big boat now....

sincerely
Jess

Jul 23, 2013
I got mine with support poles for <$100 shipped from Marine and Rv Direct on eBay and I'm very please with it. I purchased the 6'L x 73"-78"W x 46"H size to mount on tracks just outside the coamings. I cut the height down 5" to fit just under the boom and at 5' 8" tall, I can stand up under it. Best comfort upgrade I've done to my boat. :dance:

Jul 23, 2013
Here's some pictures of it that I took today set up. Sorry about the Pacific Northwest clouds.:doh:

In order from left to right, they show:

* In rear, folded position, booted with support poles in the rear jaw slides. Note the boom and main sheet clearance.
* In middle sailing position with support poles in the forward jaw slides. Note the winch clearance. I mounted the strap eyes on top of the pop top bolt brackets so that I didn't have to drill more holes.
* In middle position with the pop top up
* Folded forward for loading/boarding/etc.
* The port side support pole and jaw slides (2 of 4)

This kit was 6'L x 73"-78"W x 46"H minus the 5" I shortened it. The hinged jaw slides, pins, and lanyards, were not included with the bimini. Yes, the cover is gray, but it sort of matches the gray non-skid surfaces of the boat and at the price I got it, wasn't a showstopper. Besides, I plan to sew a Sunbrella cover and boot with embroidered Catalina logo that matches the cabin cushion covers.

Hope these help.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2013
For those who don't yet have a bimini for this summer's heat, I published a post on my blog today titled Budget bimini top solution that has much more info on my bimini installation shown above.

If you already have one, maybe you'll see an idea that you can use to improve yours.

Enjoy!