Bimini 23.5 again....

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Pouring through the forum on bimini's for the 23.5. Crazy Daves response is always in favor of the 6' bimini offered in the hunter store.......
I'm looking for a bimini for a 23.5 without stern rail seats.....
the store shows a 6' coverage bimini (used with stern rail seats) but only shows a 5'
bimini (without stern rail seats). Any idea why the one without rail seats is only 5 foot?
seems to me the bimini could be larger without the stern rails getting in the way...
they both say they are coming mount, so I am confused... Also is it wrong to assume that both
biminis offered could be use while under sail, because they are no good to me if I can't.
I would very much like the longer 6' bimini but that's not what the store offers for no stern rail seats...
any advise ???
I pasted what is posted in the store for you to see....
Hunter 23.5 with stern rail seats, 6 ft long, aluminum frame, side mounts Coaming mount, 6 feet coverage, aluminum frame 829908 $424.00
Hunter 23.5 without Stern Rail Seats Coaming mount, 5 feet coverage, aluminum frame 811160 $339.00

thanks James

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You can always measure your cockpit and order a bimini to fit. I've installed my own before. It is not as hard as it may sound. Most places are happy to have you call and talk you through it. Regarding your question about sailing with the bimini up.... you have two issues... some boats have three

1) What is the height of the boom while under sail?
You need a bimini that is shorter than the height of the boom

2) Where does your main sheet attach?
If your 23.5 is like my H26, it is a mid-boom sheeting system. Your bimini must not extend forward beyond the bail of the boom where your sheet attaches.

If both of those conditions are met, you can sail with your bimini up. And you are correct to assume it makes the sail much more enjoyable on a hot sunny day. All of this can be figured out with a good tape measure.

3) On boats with a back stay, (not your boat situation) you also have to make sure the bimini does not interfere with the backstay.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It sounds like a custom job is a possibility, you could look into.

just because pictures are good.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Will brings up an interesting point. A well constructed hard bimini can also be a good place to mount a traveler. This pic also shows a dodger. With the placement of the mid-boom sheeting on the H23.5 a combo dodger/bimini might give you the best coverage.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
A hard bimini is not a good option for the 23.5 if you like to sail on windy days. As the boat likes to heel in the puffs it presents that surface as a big sail, greatly increasing your weather helm. Better to be able to stow it. Also, you can have standing room under the bimini if you place it aft of the boom.

Attachments

Bones

Feb 24, 2018
Hunter 25.5 Blackwater Bay, Bagdad, FL
I don't understand the below-the-boom logic. On my 25.5 that means I would have to stoop down to get under it and in an emergency it would simply be a hazard. Even the one they picture in the catalog looks low, thus they didn't picture it from the side so you can really see how low it is. Here is my thought: Find a Bimini with a wide stance (for half the price). Place it above the boom but clear of the mainsail swing (No, you will only get a little bit forward here). Once placed figure the back-stay and have your local canvas shop install the zipper access. Face it, these boats are difficult at best to provide shade. The custom application shown above can be mimicked with a soft Bimini. Note that it is slightly over the main and mostly provides shade rearward. The plus here is that you can stand under it.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Bones,
You don't understand the H23.5. First, it doesn't have a back-stay and the boom is long for a big high roached main. It is set low to keep the CE low as this trailer-able only has 1000 lbs of ballast in the belly of the hull. A bimini that stays behind the swing of the boom is nice but won't make shade for most of the cockpit. Folks who have one and want a bimini aren't going to re-design the whole boat and rig just so they can stand up under the boom. It is what it is.
Dennis

Bones

Feb 24, 2018
Hunter 25.5 Blackwater Bay, Bagdad, FL
My mistake, you're right. Thanks for the response.