Bilges do not drain into each other

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
I thought I had seen this question before on the forum but I couldn't find it. The aft bilge on Still Crazy does not fully drain into the next bilge (forward) so that when I want to get the water out the aft bilge section I have to sponge it up each time. Also, the other bilges do not fully drain into the bilge with the bilge pump but this is less of a problem. I am tempted to drill a small hole between the bilges. There are some stringers there and I am always reluctant to make holes where they were not originally intended. Does anyone have a solution to this problem.
Thanks
Jeffrey Wolfe
s/v Still Crazy
Catalina 310 hull # 297

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Before you drill, are you sure there are no holes placed in the boat by the manufacture (named “Limber Holes” ) that are stuffed up with dust bunnies, accumulated goo or sealed by a previous owner?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Before you drill, are you sure there are no holes placed in the boat by the manufacture (named “Limber Holes” ) that are stuffed up with dust bunnies, accumulated goo or sealed by a previous owner?
That's a good point. I need to test and clean my "limber holes" and make sure they connect. My bilge areas are so small that for lack of room, the float switch in in one and the pump is in another. I got an Aqualarm for Christmas so I can add it into the same section (lowest) as the pump. The float switch is intermittent too.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I thought I had seen this question before on the forum but I couldn't find it. The aft bilge on Still Crazy does not fully drain into the next bilge (forward) so that when I want to get the water out the aft bilge section I have to sponge it up each time. Also, the other bilges do not fully drain into the bilge with the bilge pump but this is less of a problem. I am tempted to drill a small hole between the bilges. There are some stringers there and I am always reluctant to make holes where they were not originally intended. Does anyone have a solution to this problem.
Thanks
Jeffrey Wolfe
s/v Still Crazy
Catalina 310 hull # 297
I have the same issue with the aft bilge. The limber holes are sufficient, but if the boat is sitting level, there is not much of an angle from the aft bilge to the center bilge, where the pump is. When the boat is on the hard, I keep the bow high, so that rainwater drains out the stern. Then I have to sponge out the aft bilge.
There are three sections to the center bilge, with large limber holes between them. The holes are raised from the bottom of the bilges somewhat, so there is usually a small amount of water in each section. I don't think I would want to drill additional holes here.

Mar 30, 2007
Hi
Yes there are large limber holes connecting all the bilges but they are placed high up. The bilges do drain into one another but there is always some left over especially in the aft bilge. Perhaps I am being too fastidious and I should just accept it.
Jeff

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Perhaps I am being too fastidious and I should just accept it.
Apparently not fastidious enough to use a dinghy bailer, sponge and a bucket. That was always my final "close up the boat" chore at the end of every weekend. And it's an important step, especially in hot weather...'cuz warmth and water create humidity, and humidity incubates mold.

--Peggie

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The limber holes are set too high. None of the bilge compartments in the C310 fully drain into the central bilge where the pump resides. The situation is worse with the roller furling main, because water will always enter the mast and find its way into the compartment just forward of the one with the bilge pump. I've filled the mast gap with expanding foam insulation, but this reduces, does not eliminate the problem.
The ice box (just forward of the refrigerator) drains into the aft bilge. The aft bilge is very shallow and requires a significant amount of water before it will go through the limber hole to the next forward compartment. I go down to the boat at least weekly and pump out / suction out / sponge out all the bilge compartments.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hi
Yes there are large limber holes connecting all the bilges but they are placed high up. The bilges do drain into one another but there is always some left over especially in the aft bilge. Perhaps I am being too fastidious and I should just accept it.
Jeff
I think it depends on your situation. When cruising, I will always have a small amount of sea water in the bilge from the drips at the prop shaft packing gland. The boat is not closed up at this point, so mold buildup is not a problem. Occasionally, I will throw a bucket of fresh water in the bilge, just to flush the salt out. If we are leaving the boat for a while, I will sponge out the bilges.

Mar 30, 2007
Hi
Has anyone tried to enlarge the limber holes or drill a hole lower down?. Or should I just accept the fact that the bilges will always contain some water?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you have leaks, you'll always have to deal with some water in the bilge. The pump can't suck it dry. You'll have to use the sponge method to get rid of the last of it.
I went with a dripless shaft seal (LasDrop GenII) to end my bilge moisture. The bilge sections are always bone dry.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Not sure what you are dealing with but most boats have separate bilges under the engine mechanicals to help you avoid running afoul of bilge pump pollution discharge regulations. Oily bilge water is held where it is generated and it is your responsibility to properly collect and dispose of it. Do not mess with this system and commingle your oily waste water with regular bilge water.

If you have random wet bilges the first thing you want to determine is why. What is generating the water?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There are some stringers there and I am always reluctant to make holes where they were not originally intended
:plus:Good idea not to drill.
I have one that was moulded into the hull but not drilled. The reason why it would go through a "stringer" or cross beam support structure [normally wood beam]. Wetting that beam would jeopardize that strength with wood rot.
Put a oil "diaper" in that bilge and depose of it often.
Jim...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
:plus:Good idea not to drill.
I have one that was moulded into the hull but not drilled. The reason why it would go through a "stringer" or cross beam support structure [normally wood beam]. Wetting that beam would jeopardize that strength with wood rot.
Put a oil "diaper" in that bilge and depose of it often.
Jim...
Not a problem on the C310, the stringers are solid glass.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hi
Jeff
Jeff,

Can we be clear on which bilge you mean, as always pictures would help.

To me when you say the aft bilge, I am thinking of the section between the engine and the shaft seal. I have a small glassed in wall separating the aft section from the section under the engine. See picture with shaft log covered with blue painters tape labeled "aft bilge". I have found the holes in this section to be crusted up and not draining. I cleared the blockage with a screw driver and then flushed with fresh water and have not had the issue since I switched to a PSS Dripless.

Or do you mean the aft section of the main bilge area where the keel bolts are located. The bottom section in the second picture labeled "bilge".

Jesse

Attachments

Mar 30, 2007
Hi
Actually the "bilge" compartment that annoys me the most is the one yet aft of the 3 bilge compartments seen in your picture (see pic). This is usually dry except when I empty the water heater, etc. But I would like that all the bilges drain into the one with the bilge pump so there is no standing water in any of them except for some residual in the bilge pump section. Your stringers are different than mine; they are much thicker and higher. I wouldn't want to drill through one of those

Attachments