Bilge Pump

Sep 27, 2018
Hunter 25.5 Clinton River, MI
I just recently purchased a '86 H 25.5. When I opened the bilge access I found a white ribbed hose in the bilge, and I am wondering if this is for a pump, which I would like to install, or maybe a drain for the galley sink. The sink has a petcock with a shut off on it, but I don't know where this leads either. The head sink goes directly to a thru hull. Are there any piping diagrams available for this boat? This all looks to be factory installed. I guess I can fill the sink, open the drain, and see where it goes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Something isn't right. If it's a drain for the sink, you'd think there would be a pump and another hose to evacuate the water. If it's for a pump, what happened to it? Is there any wiring in the bilge?
I got rid of the cracked corrugated hose for my bilge pump and installed smooth sanitation style hose. Less resistance to the output flow.

Sep 27, 2018
Something isn't right. If it's a drain for the sink, you'd think there would be a pump and another hose to evacuate the water. If it's for a pump, what happened to it? Is there any wiring in the bilge?
I got rid of the cracked corrugated hose for my bilge pump and installed smooth sanitation style hose. Less resistance to the output flow.
There is no wiring I can find that isn't running to something else. It's an old boat someone could have just pulled it out. There also is no switch on the electrical panel for a pump. Maybe it was an option that wasn't installed?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It probably never had a pump. There is a 25.5 for sale right next to my trailer in the boat yard. She would let me onboard but I seldom see her anymore. There's a lot to installing a bilge pump correctly but it's a good idea to have one.

Sep 27, 2018
After testing it is the drain for the ice chest. Thanks for all your replies.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Mine drains to the bilge too. You will never get all of the water out with a bilge pump, you'll have to sponge it or something. Still, a pump would be a good thing to have.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Strange. The boat was designed and built without a bilge pump. Adding one would be a worthwhile project and true upgrade. Once a builder installs an inboard engine/shaft seal, and water system the boat should have an electric bilge pump.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The 25.5 has an outboard and tiller, but the are probably below waterline thru-hulls.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The 25.5 has an outboard and tiller, but the are probably below waterline thru-hulls.
The manual refers to an inboard engine and shaft log. So I suppose there were versions of this boat.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I have a 84 H27 and I assume that your boat is plumed much the same way. The Head sink goes directly over board the thru-hull is about 2 " above the water line. The galley sink goes directly to a seacock then to a thru hull just below the water line. The ice box drains directly into the bilge. Only electronics involved is for the bilge pump and float switch

Bradv

Jul 30, 2016
Hunter 31 Lewis and Clark Lake
The ice box on my Hunter 310 drains directly into the bilge. It may at one time have had a drain tube but if so it has come disconnected at some time. Unfortunately the water from the icebox ends up in no-mans land before it finds its way to the bilge pump. I can dump water into the icebox drain and it does not always find it's way to the bilge pump. When this happens it tends to grow mold and adds a funky odor in the boat. I quit using the ice box completely last year and simply slip a soft sided cooler inside to hold the ice melt from going into the bilge.

Sep 27, 2018
OK got the bilge pump question answered. Does anyone know the recommended outboard size for the 25,5?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They are pretty heavy boats. I'd guess a 9.9. There's some regulation or something why OB manufacturers don't call them 10HP. You going 2 or 4 stroke?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
They are pretty heavy boats. I'd guess a 9.9. There's some regulation or something why OB manufacturers don't call them 10HP. You going 2 or 4 stroke?
In some states anything less than 10 HP and you don't have to register the O.B.

I'm waiting for the 9.999