Bilge Pump

Snow

Jun 7, 2012
Catalina 22 Grindstone
We just purchased a 1987 Catalina 22 and we have to install a bilge pump. Looking for some information on what make and configuration we should go with. I heard Rule is a good make and they have fully automated pumps which eliminates a float switch and you can just take it directly to the switch panel. This is our first time working with a bilge pump so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Installing an automatic pump is a waste of time/effort/money. There is no central location where water can flow to as is typical with a traditional 'bilge'. Water will collect in the hull liner or various compartments where the leak is present. A better ice is to install a manual bilge pump with the discharge end connected to a transom fitting and the suction end long enough to reach the various compartments up to midships. Mine is installed in the bulkhead of the cockpit seating, you pump from standing in the cockpit. The only problem with this installation area is that the fiberglass is pretty thin so the whole area flexes while pumping so I had to re-enforce it by laminating some thin plywood against the area and covering with a new layer of fiberglass cloth.

Snow

Jun 7, 2012
Catalina 22 Grindstone
We have to have one installed. It's in the agreement with our harbour.

Mar 2, 2015
Catalina 22 Cape Cod & Casco Bay
That's interesting - a bilge pump in a boat that has no bilge.
Stick it in next to the volcano and forget about it.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Snow,

You'll want a pick-up at the lowest point. You indicated your C-22 is a 1987 model, which makes it a "New Design" model. Try to see if there is enough height under the cabin floor. There are two access panels, the smaller one along the keel trunk, and the other location under the larger access panel by the dinette table,(excuse the filthy cabin sole in the photo). Another location that would be hidden from view, and close to the power source is behind the cooler/cabin step below the companionway. Our MK-II version has the manual bilge pump intake tube located there, with the pump mounted in the cockpit starboard lazarette. In those locations, if you had a breach in the hull, water would collect there fairly easy, and hopefully the bilge pump could keep the boat afloat. "IF", your boat is a wing keel version, the keel sump would be the perfect location. Of course, ensure the discharge port is well above the waterline, even if you would be healing.

I can't help you on the choice for an electric bilge pump, I've never installed one in any of my C-22's, and knock on wood, I've never had to actually use the manual bilge pump either,(however I do test them about every year, just to make sure the diaphragm and the check-valves on the pump is OK.

Just a suggestion, before you launch your boat, there is a through-hull for the sink drain in the forward port side dinette locker. If the original factory white plastic through hull is still in place, I would highly suggest replacing it. If it's the original, the plastic by now is probably brittle, and it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace it on the hard. Spend a couple extra bucks and replace it with a bronze through hull, you can salvage the nice Forespar valve and re-use it. The bronze through hull is a lot stronger than even a new plastic one.

Personally, I think the "New Design" C-22's are the prettiest girls in the marina. We absolutely LOVE our MK-II version, but when I see our 1988 C-22 sitting next to the MK-II in our storage yard, she sure is pretty!

Don

Last edited:

Snow

Jun 7, 2012
Catalina 22 Grindstone
Thank you Don. We will look at the areas you mentioned this weekend. We appreciate the help.

Hans H

Jun 26, 2017
Catalina 22 Huron, OH
To find the lowest point in my 1980 C22 I filled water into my Boat with a hose and to my surprise there is no low point in my boat by more than 1". So where do I place the new bilge pump? One place is as good as any other! I also do not fully understand the gate Valves part of the cockpit drain hoses leading to the Keel Box.
What have other catalina22 owners discovered?
Below the V-bearth is a 5-6"Dia plastic pipe about 8" long cemented endwise to the hull, what is that? Thank you Hans restoring a C22

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
hmmm, I bought one a while back, never hooked it up, when I do, it will go nxt to the volcano, that said, have a manual one as CD sez for casual water....with no real bilge in a C22, it will never be used, other than in a catastrophic flooding situation, and then it's likely gonna sink anyway...makes sense for insurance purposes or to satisfy the marina requirements I guess...

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i cannot understand why anyone would have only a manual bilge pump on any boat. even if you intend to be on your boat 24/7/365, the captain's being on constant standby to manually check for bilge water then hand pump your bilge could get pretty oppressive. many marinas wisely require that you have an automatic bilge pump. it is not rocket science to install one. the 'automatic switchless' bilge pumps are not usually as reliable as the old-fashioned one powered by a float switch.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
i cannot understand why anyone would have only a manual bilge pump on any boat. even if you intend to be on your boat 24/7/365, the captain's being on constant standby to manually check for bilge water then hand pump your bilge could get pretty oppressive. many marinas wisely require that you have an automatic bilge pump. it is not rocket science to install one. the 'automatic switchless' bilge pumps are not usually as reliable as the old-fashioned one powered by a float switch.
Mitch, have you crawled around inside of a Catalina 22 swing keel very much? As mentioned above, there is no low point or bilge in the C22. The shallow hull design coupled with the glue-in liner does not create a 'bilge' in any sense of the word. Most C-22 swing keels use a manual bilge pump with an intake hose that can be moved to various areas within the cabin. Mine is bulkhead mounted in the cockpit and has about a 10 foot intake hose that reaches any point in the cabin. The C22 fin keel and wing keel models probably have a better low point or bore traditional bilge that could benefit from an automatic pump, but by the numbers swing keels outnumber those models by a large margin. I agree with you, a reliable automatic pump with a flat switch should be installed... but on boats large enough and by design where they make sense.

Apr 19, 2010
S2 9.2C Lincoln, NE
I sailed a Cat 22 for a number of years. Never installed or needed a bilge pump. I recently removed a woefully inadequate bilge pump and switch from my S2 9.2. It would serve your purpose and requirements. If you'll pay the postage, I'll send it to you free.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Interesting topic. My boat has no bilge pump at all. As mentioned previously if I was to install one, needed or otherwise it would go next to the keel lifting cable tube on the floor where there is no lining.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
greg_m That is where most bilge pumps go in Cat 22s. Problem is that with swing keel hump dividing the bilge it takes a substantial amount of depth of water before the pump actually works. It is where mine is with a built in float switch but frankly a big dog bone sponge is more effective but it makes the boat insurance people and marina or boat club folks sleep better at night.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
69% of all sinkings happen at the dock ... ;)
....at least 1 sinks/year at our local sailing club in a slip (200 slips there)....usually due to poor maintenance, failed thru-hulls, etc., big emergency pumps are kept in a locker nearby for pump out/refloat...