Bilge pump for '72 Oday 22

Sep 25, 2016
Oday 22 Lake Arthur
I've got a little round hole in the floor as my only access to the bilge. I also have a 45 year old somewhat leaky deck, so water gets in. I've been using a shop vac to clean it out, but that doesn't really work in the wild away from 120vAC. Yeah, I have one of those manual pumps that looks like a mutated bicycle tire pump for emergency use.

What I'd really like is to mount some sort of 12v pump somewhere and run hoses and flip a switch and have my bilge be dry. The pump probably has to work like the shop vac: the pump itself up in the cabin with a hose down into the bilge, because of space issues and the size of that little hole.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I had a 1980 O’day 22 that I slipped during the season. The bilge was to shallow for a pump. I simply manually pumped it out once every two weeks. I’m friends with the people I sold her to. They do the same. Between the 2 of us it has been 7 years of using the manual pump.

I know that’s not the answer you where looking for. Just wanted to tell you we never accumulated enough water to be concerned about.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't know how shallow your bilge may be but most makers like Rule, Whale Marine, Seaflo and Johnson make low profile pumps that could work in shallow bilges as long as they can fit horizontally with it's discharge hose. Sorry not familiar with your boat to offer any viable suggestions.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
how big is the hole in the floor through which you'll have to fit your bilge pump and float switch ? are you planning on making a larger access hole ? there are very small rule 25s without much GPM flow , with integral float switches which would be easy to wire. are you planning both auto and manual operation ?