Bilge configuration on a Mac 25

Apr 10, 2017
Macgregor Macgregor 25 Gulfport Ms
I have a 83 mac 25 and struggling to figure out how the bilges are connected. I know they are not but I want to flow all of most of them to the low point. Has anyone figured this out. I am thinking I can connect them by drilling some holes but as you might guess that makes me very nervous! Right now I have a pump in the head bilge and would like to connect at least the bow and maybe the port side to that bilge.
Thanks in advance

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Everything aft of the V berth will drain to the area of the keel winch and back. Everything forward of the V berth's aft wall will drain to that same aft wall, no further. HTH

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
The bilge is terrible. Mine tends to collect under the head area. There and both side of the keel. It took years of strategic leak fixing but I now sail pretty dry.
Sponge around the keel wire in the tube was a big one. The seam at the rub rail was another. All deck hardware. Lock bolt holes. It went on and on. Now unless it's really pounding I stay dry.
A wet vac with flexible end is the only thing that gets it.

May 16, 2011
What did you do to cure the rub rail leak?
I used two big tubes of silicon caulk. I worked from one spot all the way around. Squired it in and followed behind with a latex gloved hand to make a nice finish bead. Top and bottom. The seam in the rubber was also a spot of contention. I used black butyl tape to fill that gap. It expands and contracts well with the rubber.
Before I did this i would get water in the Lazz under the seat opening. I could never figure out how it was getting there since it was not connected to the bilge. It was the rub rail. You could feel air blowing in through it. When on a good heel water would be forced up and in. This was the main source of water.

Apr 10, 2017
Well sealed the bottom of the rub already guess I need to look at the top now. I know I need to tend to all the hardware. boat is on the hard right now. so now is the time. just picked up a float switch for the bilge under the head but really want to stop most of it from getting in.

May 16, 2011
My chain plates were a big one too. I just put butyl tape around where they penetrate the deck. That works, Just replace it if it gets funky. Keel lock down bolt hole was a big one. I bought 3/8 inch compression plugs for that. Pivot bolt hole too. I put butyl tape under the rubber washer seat on both side and retightened the lat time the keel was out. Check your cockpit drain as well. I remade the connections at the deck and at the through hull. The deck drain was leaking. Like I said, the sponge in the cable tube keeps chop out too. Cut a slice in a chunk of sponge, wrap it around the cable and push it in.

I forgot how many place these boats can leak. Every time I found one and fixed it water still showed up. It took five years but I am now leak free. I rebedded all deck fittings as well. Router, epoxy and redrill. Butyl tape to seal the job.

Apr 10, 2017
My chain plates were a big one too. I just put butyl tape around where they penetrate the deck. That works, Just replace it if it gets funky. Keel lock down bolt hole was a big one. I bought 3/8 inch compression plugs for that. Pivot bolt hole too. I put butyl tape under the rubber washer seat on both side and retightened the lat time the keel was out. Check your cockpit drain as well. I remade the connections at the deck and at the through hull. The deck drain was leaking. Like I said, the sponge in the cable tube keeps chop out too. Cut a slice in a chunk of sponge, wrap it around the cable and push it in.

I forgot how many place these boats can leak. Every time I found one and fixed it water still showed up. It took five years but I am now leak free. I rebedded all deck fittings as well. Router, epoxy and redrill. Butyl tape to seal the job.

Apr 10, 2017
I had a 1975 venture 25 and it was dry as a bone. It rains out and I get water in this one!

Jul 9, 2017
Macgregor Venture Seattle
I pulled out the old carpet and sprayed my cabin ceiling with flex seal no leaks and it cuts down on noise from the top deck. Any water will flow to the Aft like just some guy said.