Bilge Compression Block was Mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
The more I read in this thread the more curious I am at what's glassed in the front of my bilge.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
okay, after all is said and done has snbody out there ever heard of a mast coming down because of failure of this block?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
finally found what i was seeking. the interational catalina 30 website says, under changes through the years, lists 'boat 5397, first non-wood mast support.' case closed for those boats.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am hull number 5800. I know that I have a metal compression post. That block may just be a filler.....Why set a metal post on a wooden block that will end up rotting away because it will see water. They didn't seal the block either.

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
What I found on my '84 was that the wood rot began first in the mast compression "block" (under the compression post), but more of a problem was that this block and my bilge plywood were connected all the way thru. That is, from the block under the post, all the way through to the last keelbolt under the engine.

I had seen the "Catalina Smile" during the initial survey and after a 1st summer of sailing, I investigated why there was always water in the bilge. I had water leaking up from around the keelbolts. I found my plywood was soaked by drilling a core sample with a hole saw.

One reason water intrusion into the block happened is because Catalina factory drilled a hole thru my compression block so they could snake the mast wiring, that comes down the compression post, back to the electrical panel via the bilge. The worst of the block rot was right through the middle of the block where the wiring went. I highly recommend adding an aluminum plate to cap off the top of the masthead.

The other issue, just as related in my opinion, is the Smile/Keelbolt/BilgePlywood situation. The wood is continuous. As I demo'ed the bilge ply, I did my block at the same time. I don't think it's always necessary to handle these together, but it was in my case. I had leaks coming in and visible gelcoat cracks, inside the cabin at both the top and bottom of the compression post.

Rig tension to the post, applied straight down to a moving, squishy base. Keel weight held by bolts in wet plywood. Summary: neither mast nor keel had a catastrophic failure and I am very happy that I completed the repairs before they did. Learned a lot about the boat's structure and about the engine when I yanked it out to get at everything.

Rob

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Even if the base of the mast compression post/ block is degraded by rot, the mast is also supported by the adjacent main bulkhead. Also if you look at the cabin roof it has a large ridge of fiberglass "rib" which also tabs in the bulkhead and helps absorb and displace some of the load of the mast to the hull. My C 30 also has an optional mast tabernacle base made of steel that is through bolted & helps take some of the compression load / mast pumping pressure. All of these areas help take the load of the mast, but I agree that compression post is a critical element, or the cabin top may suffer cracking and sagging. Honestly when I think about it, the mast plate that my mast rests upon may very well be hiding cracks that aren't visible. The hinged plate was really designed to assist in raising & lowering the mast but it also helps to support the base quite a bit.
the bulkhead next to the compression post won't support any weight. Plywood has near zero compressive strength on edge. the design of the boat is to transfer all downward force of the mast to the keel via the compression post and then the compression block directly underneath.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
I'm curious. Does the mast have to come down to tackle the compression block?

Could I loosen the shrouds enough to give an 1" or so play and then cut out the old block. Perhaps build a temporary post to spread the weight of the mast onto the floor while I'm working on the old block and installling the new one?

I didn't take the mast down this winter but I would certainly look at tackling this project over the next few weeks.

Otherwise, it'll go on the list.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Team118 said:
I'm curious. Does the mast have to come down to tackle the compression block?

Could I loosen the shrouds enough to give an 1" or so play and then cut out the old block. Perhaps build a temporary post to spread the weight of the mast onto the floor while I'm working on the old block and installling the new one?

I didn't take the mast down this winter but I would certainly look at tackling this project over the next few weeks.

Otherwise, it'll go on the list.
The mast must come down.. Way too much weight to risk not stepping it.. It's in the Procedures that Catalina has for the job.

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
Krikey, just 130 numbers from the good compression post, now I will have to check. I am # 5267

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I'm a little confused. If the post is metal why would there be a wooden block inside it? I haven't seen any signs of a problem but will I?

Mar 11, 2010
I'm a little confused. If the post is metal why would there be a wooden block inside it? I haven't seen any signs of a problem but will I?
I have never seen a picture of the aluminum beam support used after #5397. Are they glassed in, under the post? I wonder if they used plywood as filler for the void between the structure? :confused: Regardless, I wouldn't worry after #5397. Any plywood in that area isn't structural. And if you haven't seen keel movement or a "Smile", I wouldn't worry about plywood in the flat part of the bilge (bearing the keelbolts), either.

Rob

Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
Bad Obsession said:
In MKii an improvement was that the compression post was changed from wood to metal. The original wood post lead the the "bird bath" at the foot of the mast.

My hull number is 5800 and when it was surveyed I had the area around the mast checked well because I had read of the "bird bath" from earlier models. I didn't have one present.
I have hull #5861, and my mast sits on a metal post--if you're referring to that plate that holds the mast in place.

Bob

Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
Bad Obsession said:
I am hull number 5800. I know that I have a metal compression post. That block may just be a filler.....Why set a metal post on a wooden block that will end up rotting away because it will see water. They didn't seal the block either.
There's a 1988 C-30 at my marina here in Nashville that has just had the same repair; I didn't see his compression post, but I suspect it's just like the one on my 1990. The guy fixed it by creating a new foundation of fiberglass, which he sanded down and then reset the mast. He had pulled the mast up about a foot for the repair.

Bob

Feb 5, 2012
BillyK said:
The mast must come down.. Way too much weight to risk not stepping it.. It's in the Procedures that Catalina has for the job.
Actually, not true; the guy here made a sort of a-frame on the boat, loosened the shrouds, and lifted the mast about a foot so he could make the repair. He didn't take the mast down, but made a new foundation of fiberglass, onto which I assume he put the compression post. I saw it before he lowered the mast, but before he replaced the post, took him about a week...

Bob

Mar 11, 2010
Actually, not true; the guy here made a sort of a-frame on the boat, loosened the shrouds, and lifted the mast about a foot so he could make the repair. He didn't take the mast down, but made a new foundation of fiberglass, onto which I assume he put the compression post. I saw it before he lowered the mast, but before he replaced the post, took him about a week...

Bob
That sounds pretty amazing. He had to lift the mast with a crane, right? And suspended it vertically, one foot above the deck? The shrouds were loose for a week and, long enough to remain attached to the chainplates?
Nah, pics or it didn't happen...:snooty: I'm losing something in translation here...

Feb 5, 2012
rbmcintire said:
That sounds pretty amazing. He had to lift the mast with a crane, right? And suspended it vertically, one foot above the deck? The shrouds were loose for a week and, long enough to remain attached to the chainplates?
Nah, pics or it didn't happen...:snooty: I'm losing something in translation here...
No, he didn't use a crane at all; he made a neat triangular frame with 2x4's; he used ropes, tied them to the cleats on the mast I think, lifted the mast off the compression plate. I was considering buying that boat, so that was how I came to look at it.

I don't remember how the shrouds were, but the mast was standing the whole time. He may have attached the shrouds somewhere else while he was doing the work, but I didn't really look that closely.

He made a big mound of fibreglass, then sanded it down once it was dry; I didn't see it before he replaced the compression plate.

Next time I see him I'll ask how he kept the mast up; it was a pretty impressive bit of mechanics.

Bob

Mar 11, 2010
There's a 1988 C-30 at my marina here in Nashville that has just had the same repair; I didn't see his compression post, but I suspect it's just like the one on my 1990. The guy fixed it by creating a new foundation of fiberglass, which he sanded down and then reset the mast. He had pulled the mast up about a foot for the repair.

Bob
Was this repair down in the bilge or did the guy repair the fiberglass underneath his metal deckplate, up on deck? If so, he may wonder why it sunk down?

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
longterm said:

Bob
Well..., sounds dangerous and the same as pulling the mast. Just that he chose to store the mast 1 foot above the boat rather than on the deck or on land. Ether way the weight needs to be removed.

Feb 5, 2012
rbmcintire said:
Was this repair down in the bilge or did the guy repair the fiberglass underneath his metal deckplate, up on deck? If so, he may wonder why it sunk down?
I think he removed the deck plate, because I vaguely recall his telling me he was going o put it back after he sanded the glass flat...

Bob

Feb 5, 2012
BillyK said:
Well..., sounds dangerous and the same as pulling the mast. Just that he chose to store the mast 1 foot above the boat rather than on the deck or on land. Ether way the weight needs to be removed.
Didn't look dangerous, actually; this guy works on all the boats at our marina, so he's a bit of an expert at boat repair, painting, etc. I'll be using him to work on mine as needs arise.

He told me they often use two boats to put p a mast--a line from the top of each mast, I think, to hold up the mast between the two boats. I haven't seen it done, but suspect its a common technique.

The guy who transported my boat has a crane built onto his trailer, holds up to 1100 pounds; all he transports are sailboats. Here are photos of him working on my boat:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.