Bigger wheel on a 320

Mar 31, 2018
Hunter 320 North Cape YC
Looking at a 40" wheel to replace my 32" on our new (to us) 320. The seller says its fits a 1" shaft, but is not tapered. The boat is 600 miles away, so I can't just pop down to the boat and check for myself. Anyone know off-hand if it needs to be tapered?

Also, I want to install a new autopilot. Not planning on extensive cruising, so cockpit mounted is fine. Simple and inexpensive is my hope. We've had Autohelms in the past - I believe they are Raymarine autopilots today.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
See if he will throw in the pedestal cover. Otherwise you will probably have to get a new one made that can get over the larger wheel.
Can't help on the fitment.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @RPethoud to the forum. Feel your pain about being far from boat and wanting a measurement. You might check the Beneteau forum for the info on the shaft.

As far as the autopilot, I have the Raymarine EV-100 and it works great. I accept the limitations of the design. You need to have the boat trimmed in balance. Don’t expect the motor to handle 8 ft following seas and 30knots of wind with full sails flying. Motoring or sailing with 15 knots and the sails balanced it is like having an extra crew member on board manning the helm. A life saver for solo sailing.

Mar 31, 2018
Hunter 320 North Cape YC
Welcome @RPethoud to the forum. Feel your pain about being far from boat and wanting a measurement. You might check the Beneteau forum for the info on the shaft.

As far as the autopilot, I have the Raymarine EV-100 and it works great. I accept the limitations of the design. You need to have the boat trimmed in balance. Don’t expect the motor to handle 8 ft following seas and 30knots of wind with full sails flying. Motoring or sailing with 15 knots and the sails balanced it is like having an extra crew member on board manning the helm. A life saver for solo sailing.
Thanks! Sounds like what I need.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Do you know the make and model of the steering gear? That would tell you. Checking with B would also be a good option. On my 1992 B310, it is one inch tapered - Whitlock Cobra 5R Deluxe steering gear. And, the wheel is dished to avoid the pedestal mounted throttle control. I had to have a new wheel/pedestal cover built to fit the bigger wheel!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018
Hunter 320 North Cape YC
Do you know the make and model of the steering gear? That would tell you. Checking with B would also be a good option. On my 1992 B310, it is one inch tapered - Whitlock Cobra 5R Deluxe steering gear. And, the wheel is dished to avoid the pedestal mounted throttle control. I had to have a new wheel/pedestal cover built to fit the bigger wheel!
Good advise. Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No, it would not have to be tapered. A bigger wheel is not necessary and in fact will impede free movement in the cockpit and as someone mentioned the pedestal cover will not fit. Back in the 60's our wheels were quite small and they grew some with the proliferation of the larger free hanging rudders. Racing sailors like them as they can make small course adjustments without killing speed and because they think them look cool. We have a 320h and find the 32" wheel is a good compromise between functionality and practicality.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
The primary reason that I put a bigger wheel on the 310 was to allow me to sit on the rail, steer and see the headsail entry and telltales or the luff of the chutes. The other advantage was the ability to make smaller steering corrections. The OEM wheel made me either stand to drive or sit in the cockpit neither of which was conducive to efficient steering or weight distribution going to weather. Yes, the downside is it takes a little effort to get around it when moving about the aft part of the cockpit when necessary. Very happy I did that.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018
Hunter 320 North Cape YC
The primary that I put a bigger wheel on the 310 was to allow me to sit on the rail, steer and see the headsail entry and telltales or the luff of the chutes. The other advantage was the ability to make smaller steering corrections. The OEM wheel made me either stand to drive or sit in the cockpit neither of which was conducive to efficient steering or weight distribution going to weather. Yes, the downside is it takes a little effort to get around it when moving about the aft part of the cockpit when necessary. Very happy I did that.
That is exactly the reason I'm doing it. Too many years of being able to sit on either rail while steering. My favorite seat in the house! I bought one that was on consignment. Between the help from folks in this forum and the Hunter tech dept., I hope it will be a good fit on the shaft and on the boat/boating. Looks like there might be a cover modification in my future. It's ok, the old one is going on 18 years and was ready to be replace soon. ;)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
That was one of the first things I changed on the boat when I bought it! Like you, for me it was 30 years with the hiking stick on the J24. ;-) I think mine is a 42 inch and I would have gone bigger by a couple inches but the wheel I got was on a Defender closeout on a whole bunch of Catalina wheels and I couldn't pass up the discounted price they offered it at for a couple extra inches.

Mar 31, 2018
Hunter 320 North Cape YC
No, it would not have to be tapered. A bigger wheel is not necessary and in fact will impede free movement in the cockpit and as someone mentioned the pedestal cover will not fit. Back in the 60's our wheels were quite small and they grew some with the proliferation of the larger free hanging rudders. Racing sailors like them as they can make small course adjustments without killing speed and because they think them look cool. We have a 320h and find the 32" wheel is a good compromise between functionality and practicality.
Your advise is well taken. I don't take losing the maneuverability back there lightly. But you nailed the racing scenario on the head. My family and I enjoyed many summers racing our Catalina 34 on Lake Erie and I just got use to sitting on the rail (cockpit back) to keep check on trim and have a view around the crew. The first words out my sons mouth upon seeing the Hunter was, "Oh, dad, we've gotta get you a bigger wheel." :waycool: That said, I'm keeping the old wheel....... just incase!

Mar 31, 2018
Hunter 320 North Cape YC
Your advise is well taken. I don't take losing the maneuverability back there lightly. But you nailed the racing scenario on the head. My family and I enjoyed many summers racing our Catalina 34 on Lake Erie and I just got use to sitting on the rail (cockpit back) to keep check on trim and have a view around the crew. The first words out my sons mouth upon seeing the Hunter was, "Oh, dad, we've gotta get you a bigger wheel." :waycool: That said, I'm keeping the old wheel....... just incase!
Oops, I meant advice.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
A bigger wheel also comes handy in strong winds when you actually need to leverage to steer the boat, especially in big following seas. On the other hand, a smaller wheel is definitely easier for relaxed cruising. I am thinking of getting a smaller wheel (28", even 24") and giving my current (36") to my boat neighbor who has the same shaft+autopilot drive. I told him that when I go racing I will just be swapping the wheels with the autopilot drives attached. For some reason he was thrilled by the idea.

SV Pizzazz

Mar 31, 2018
Hunter 320 North Cape YC
A bigger wheel also comes handy in strong winds when you actually need to leverage to steer the boat, especially in big following seas. On the other hand, a smaller wheel is definitely easier for relaxed cruising. I am thinking of getting a smaller wheel (28", even 24") and giving my current (36") to my boat neighbor who has the same shaft+autopilot drive. I told him that when I go racing I will just be swapping the wheels with the autopilot drives attached. For some reason he was thrilled by the idea.

SV Pizzazz
Thanks for the info. Great idea to swap out wheels. And when it comes to more room while at the dock, it's not a problem to just take the wheel off. Especially when entertaining.