Registered users don't see ads

Big breeze mayhem!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Jackdaw, Jan 5, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,372 posts, 736 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Couple of years ago a big WYC J/24 fall regatta was held in 25 knots of gusty, shifty breeze. As expected, chaos reigned. Happily, Penalty Box Productions was there to catch the action.

Puff on!

2. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    3,750 posts, 345 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Years ago, liming about at the BEYC and tiring of the endless rum drinks I decided that maybe I should avail myself of the racer-boy expertise at the club sailing school and pick up some spinnaker training. I was assigned two stout young crazies and a J-24 for the task. Off we went across North Sound in strong Christmas trade winds 25 gusting over 30. Pole set, spinnaker ready, up it went and off we shot to Limrick Bay in what seemed like 4 minutes. Turn around, beat back up and do it again. The gybes were insane. It wasn't until years later that I realized just how insane that lesson had been. The thing was, my instructors were so enthusiastic and jazzed by the "lesson", I never had a chance to consider we could have sunk the damn J.

3. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    589 posts, 76 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    OK. That looks a bit hairy as races go but the music just does not fit. That music should go with some REALLY extreme like motocross or wingsuit flying.

4. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,111 posts, 250 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    I dunno... I think that marker has a big magnet like they use in roulette wheels.

5. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,372 posts, 736 likes
    A HUGE source of mayhem in one-design races in breeze. You can see boats on starboard but slightly BELOW the mark get into the zone with rights and then try and 'shoot the mark' by luffing up and over the mark with ROW. A winning strategy in moderate breeze, but the waves stop the light boat in its tracks and it stalls. It looses way and slides backwards. Then a shit show results.

6. JRacer

JRacer

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    292 posts, 21 likes
    Beneteau 310
    US Wichita, Kansas Cheney KS (Wichita)
    Been there, done most of that. Miss my J.

7. jdhohmann

jdhohmann

Joined Mar 11, 2009
    178 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 40
    CA Saint John
    That was amazing!!!!!!

8. DaveJ

DaveJ

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    151 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 310
    Ca Niagara-on-the-Lake
    Wow! Near the end there was a boat with a blue spinnaker and a huge bow wave, any guesses how fast it was sailing?

9. marke14

marke14

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    169 posts, 38 likes
    Universal Marine Montego 25
    US Los Angeles
    Seriously Dave, that planing boat throwing up the huge spray off the bow is something else. I'll not guess so as to not embarrass myself.

Looks like "fun" and not my kind of sailing in terms of my boat and singlehanded as I generally am. :biggrin:

Yeah, fun o_O
    knockdown.jpg

10. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    2,652 posts, 135 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY Greenport, NY
    "...like fun, but different."

RussC likes this.
  11. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,372 posts, 736 likes
    Probably 10 knots. And 10 knots on a J24 is a hair raising experience.

12. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,372 posts, 736 likes
    Indeed. The j24 has an AVS (Angle of Vanishing Stability) of LESS THAN 90 DEGREES. They go down like stones all the time.

13. JRacer

JRacer

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    292 posts, 21 likes
    Beneteau 310
    US Wichita, Kansas Cheney KS (Wichita)
    Second That! We went close aboard the committee boat planning like that one time and the RC were all pointing and howling. The PRO still talks about that and that was probably 20 years ago. Made for some good entertainment.

14. PaulK

PaulK

Joined Dec 1, 2009
    263 posts, 15 likes
    Tillotson Pearson J/36
    US Southport, CT
    Windy, but not too wavy. Seems like people had their chutes out farther than they should have, with many getting by the lee and getting pulled over. The boats at the end seem to have gotten their acts together better, keeping the boat under the spinnaker in heavy air.

15. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,372 posts, 736 likes
    Indeed!
    With that direction of breeze the max fetch is only 2 miles, not a lot of room for waves to build up. The film was the highlights (lowlights??) of a two day regatta, so only the zany stuff shows. The puffs in a fall blow here usually hit as a 15-20 degree shift, making spinnaker work interesting.

16. LuzSD

LuzSD

Joined Feb 21, 2009
    963 posts, 31 likes
    Catalina 30
    US San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
    WOW, what fun sitting in a warm house at my desk watching such chaos. I have to say though, some little part of me wishes I was there! Thanks Jackdaw, always can count on you for some entertainment!

Jackdaw likes this.
  17. LuzSD

LuzSD

Joined Feb 21, 2009
    963 posts, 31 likes
    Catalina 30
    US San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.

I completely agree...... that 'music' was so distracting. ugh!

18. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,372 posts, 736 likes
    Indeed entertaining, either watching on video, or in person with the added bonus of the schadenfreude as you pass some boat with their spinnaker in major distress.

19. PaulK

PaulK

Joined Dec 1, 2009
    263 posts, 15 likes
    Tillotson Pearson J/36
    US Southport, CT
    We have an annual race that one year would have made for some interesting film footage, except that it's in September, covers 70 miles, and starts at 19h00, so it is pitch dark for most of it. It was blowing 30 knots with rain and 6' waves for the first 35 miles - upwind. The return was nicer because it stopped raining. The best part was the upwind start, with the 12 boats all on tight on port tack, aiming to clear a buoy off a point about a mile from the start. With the fleet bouncing along about half way to the buoy, what should round it coming the other way, in the dark, in the waves, in the rain, but a 120' ketch, under power with it's spreader lights on, heading in to a wedding at the golf club next door. Imagine his surprise on a Friday night suddenly seeing twelve sets of running lights all aimed right at him. Slalom, anyone?
    We ended up getting 2nd to a J/109. If I did it over I'd use the spinnaker on that last leg.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now