Big and Long or Small and Simple?

4arch

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Baltimore
The hose from the aft head to the holding tank on my Beneteau Oceanis 400 is permeated. It’s a 15 foot run from the Y-valve to a small holding tank installed aft of the aft cabin. I’ve determined there’s room back there to fit a 35 gallon tank without too much angst but the excessively long hose run continues to be a concern.

Alternatively, there’s an alcove next to the toilet that could fit a tank of about 20-25 gallons. This would cut the hose runs to effectively nothing, and I could eliminate the Y-valve and potentially even set up a gravity drain for the tank, resulting in a very simple system. I believe the later variants of my boat (the 411 and 393) actually had the aft holding tank in this location. The downside of this is we’re a family of 4 and 20 gallons still isn’t huge. I’m thinking the 35 would still last longer between pumpouts, even if we need to send more water through the 15 foot line to keep it clear.

What’s the better option here?

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Hi,
I changed most of the hoses on my 31 last fall: 11$ a foot for top quality... mine wasn`t permeated but my holding tank had split at the bottom from a deficient wintering process. And since it was out may as well do the hoses...
The holding tank on the 31 seems to be 80 liters (about 20US gallons); when 4 on board (not often) we get less than three days between pumpouts... For your 40 footer and a family of four I would definitely get the larger tank. With the better quality hoses on the market to-day the smell won`t permeate even if you don`t pump all the waste down every flush.
Also, would re-locating the holding tank mean re-locating the pump-out deck fitting or have that hose run to be inordinately long?