Beta 35 or 38?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So, I've decided to repower this coming fall. Replacing the Volvo MD17 and SD. My dilemma is the 35 or the 38. Beta basically says its my decision..They are both basically the same engine..They say the 35 has slightly more torque and the 38 has an oil cooler that the 35 doesn't. Not sure why an oil cooler is needed for a small engine..Has anyone else been through this? Reasons for choice? Their website is somewhat lacking...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Philosophically speaking, one could posit that the difference of 3 hp in that range should make little difference. I'm sure you've been through the checklist yourself. Boat weight. Current hp (I don't know what an MD17 rates). Size of your alternator, and house bank. Boat use (I know you're not a marina hopper!:)). Complexity of oil cooler that may not be required (KISS).

Not unreasonable for them to leave the decision up to you. There could well have been two S2 11.A skippers who bought Beta's last two engines and made different choices for the skipper's own reasons. Not sure about your issue with their website - what more do you need?

Whatever your choice, from everything I've read those are mighty fine engines with great reputations for both assistance with installation as well as great operation.

Good luck.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I should qualify the website issue as I've been looking at it with an ipad. I should get serious and use the computer..I have been firing off questions but not that deal with the engine choice. The Volvo is rated at 35hp at 2500 rpm. Since this engine will be located under the cockpit sole, I had several questions:
- being that the oil dipstick is on top, can i pull it out without it hitting the sole? Answered yes. It can be pulled out 2" and then "bent"flat port or stbd
- can the SD cooling tubes be bypassed by using a thru hull for engine raw water? Answered yes
- since this not an overhead cam engine there is a valve train that should have a set valve lash. What is that check interval? How much room over the engine is needed to remove the rocker cover? Question not asked yet..
- is the cam driven from gears or belt/chain? Question not asked yet. I'm assuming gears. Otherwise would be a deal breaker..

There are some who would just say to drop the boat off and pick it up when ready. Lately, I just dont do that. I'm at the point where I question everything I know how and check everyone's work. I also perform all my own maintenance. I'm fortunate that the Beta guys in town will let me do any amount of work I want to do.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The duty rating for a marine diesel engine in full displacement hull use is heavy duty. Add to that a closed, hot engine bay and you can use all the heat exchange you can get. Cooling the block and the exhaust is one thing, keeping your lubricant within range is another. I have, and would opt for an oil cooler in any marine diesel. Repowering is a big move, especially when you are changing manufacturer. My course would be to learn as much as possible about my options, then interview marine tradesmen for recommendations, credentials and proposals.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Beta has been pretty responive. All questions answered to satisfaction so far. They then said I could use the Beta 30 based on boat specs which raised an eyebrow. I responded with disp additions of several thousand pounds due to fuel/water/gear etc and usage of 120a alternator and extended coastal cruising and ran the numbers and they responded that the 35 with a "deep gear ratio" SD would work better. The 35 only turns to 2800 rpm. With this config, a large diameter prop can be used which makes this whole config more efficient. Also it's real close to the current Volvo configuration which drives the boat well. They also stated the 35 would be quite a bit quieter with lower rpms..It seems the choice between the the two are only dependent on the drive ratio and prop size.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
With the 35, I have to turn an 18" prop..not sure I can do that. Currently a 16"..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It seems to me that you are looking for a power plant that gives you the propulsion you need in the currents of the Pacific NW on your boat. If your thinking racing, then the power plant and prop needs are different from cruising the Salish Sea.... I have not seen an oil cooler on a sail boat engine less than 40 feet. Not saying not a good idea. Would be dependent on the engine and how it is to be run. Certainly over kill on an engine that gets you out of the Marina and back. Maybe valuable when running up to the Broughton's.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Cruising is certainly the intent..currently trying to get the length of the volvo saildrive for comparison purposes and it seems that nobody on this planet has that spec. Evidently, Volvo has a technical helpline but only available to dealers..Dealers have been non responsive. So, it looks like a diver with a tape and trust he measures in the right places etc..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Update: the diver said 12.75 inches fron center of prop shaft to the ring on the outside of the hull. I did manage to find some dwgs from Sole that had dimensions of the saildrive. Doing the subtraction of a few dimensions, I came up with 14.13". The Beta saildrive is 16" so even with an 18" prop, it looks like I"ll gain somewhere around an inch of tip clearance...