Best ways to secure Hunter 23 to trailer

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have never had to tow my H23 on the road, as it has only gone across the street between the storage yard and launch ramp at the lake, towed slowly by the yard's tractors. I need to get it to another yard for some hull repair, so I am refurbishing the entire brake system and getting it legal.
I don't know the best way to secure it to the trailer. I only have to go about 6 miles at maybe 40 MPH max, mostly at 35. I am guessing some sort of ratchet straps around the hull and trailer frame? I have some that are orange webbing straps, about an inch across, which might not be strong enough. I will remove the outboard first and may also leave the mast in the storage yard.
Thanks, Peter

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Yes on the outboard motor off. It makes the tounge too light. Boat all the way forward when loading. I put a strap on the bow to the trailer to stop the boat tilting and one right behind the companion way to the trailer. These should be snug but not overly tight. They can stop the initial movement but nothing catastrophic. I just towed 80 miles no problems on the interstate. Had the outboard inside the boat forward to add more weight forward. I have switched the brakes to electric so I can brake the trailer in case of sway. The boat rides fine on the trailer as long as the weight is forward. I left the outboard on once only going about 15 miles and what a ride it was. Swaying everywhere. Any and all weight you can move forward the better off you will be. Hope that helps.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I towed mine thousands of miles (mostly up and down 476 between upstate NY and MD). I always hook a heavy-duty ratchet strap on the bottom of the aft bunk posts, over the boat, and back down. Lighter duty up in the front. Outboard and rudder go in the bed of the truck. The mast sits nicely on the bow pulpit, you just need to make a rear support (seems like less work than getting it on the ground!)

As for the weight distribution, I moved the axle back a bit, to make the tongue ~ 250 lbs. Vast improvement! It is only u-bolted on.

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks both. I have a metal mast crutch that fits on the rudder pintles that supports the mast, figure if I leave it on, I will just cushion and lash it at the pulpit and the crutch. Outboard and rudder will go to our basement first. May remove battery first as well. The repair work would be done after I pull for the season and after it is done will go back to storage yard to be covered.
I will try the "drive and brake" method to slide it fully forward on the bunks, but this may be tough. I figure if the tongue weight is decent, and I drive maybe 35, hopefully sway won't be an issue.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
On the 23 wing keel when on the trailer to get it moved forward, I would brake at slow speed and then tighten strap doing that several times till the bow is in the chock. If single axle make sure the boat is cowed all the way so the majority of weight is forward of the axle. Some trailers came without brakes and in that case should the trailer start to sway, accelerate to pull the swaying out and then brake. If no safety chain on the winch stand then put one on to attach to bow eye and if too long then twis it to shorten chain. Put brakes on trailer if none there. Never apply tie down over forward deck as not neede plus you could damage deck and cause hull to indent into bunk boards. On rear strap over cockpit, always twist then going over hull to prevent wind slap. The best for rear strap if possible is to lead it forward attaching to trailer to help keep boat from sliding backwards. Experience thru selling too many 23’s

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks CD. If you desire a trip to NE PA in the fall you can guide me :).
The trailer does have hydraulic drum brakes, in fact I am in the process of putting on new brakes, bearings, races, hoses and front actuator.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Peter, take a big ratcheting strap prior to tying the boat down, go from winch post around the base of the keel and back. Crank it tight! Then drive/brake. The boat will slide right up to the winch post with no need to slam on the brakes. When done immediately after hauling out (wet), I've had the boat slide from the ratchet tension alone.

Apr 27, 2010
Good tip. I have a really heavy ratchet straps I used as a tow strap once, that will likely fit from post to keep.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
How
I towed mine thousands of miles (mostly up and down 476 between upstate NY and MD). I always hook a heavy-duty ratchet strap on the bottom of the aft bunk posts, over the boat, and back down. Lighter duty up in the front. Outboard and rudder go in the bed of the truck. The mast sits nicely on the bow pulpit, you just need to make a rear support (seems like less work than getting it on the ground!)

As for the weight distribution, I moved the axle back a bit, to make the tongue ~ 250 lbs. Vast improvement! It is only u-bolted on.
How far did you move the axle? I've wanted to do this but have been lazy.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I actually added an axle as well. Centered roughly with the back edge of the window.
Gotta love the "stretch" fenders
upload_2018-9-10_17-5-43.png

GREGP

Nov 20, 2010
HUNTER 170 and 23 HIGHLANDS
80 miles south every spring and 80 miles north every fall on the Parkway in Jersey. I have a wing keel no brakes.
Buy a new hitch with an anti sway bar. harbor freight sells one cheap and stay under 50.
Its still the most exciting time I have with the boat all year but it helps alot

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
I tow mine dirty in the fall and clean in the spring. ;-) I just use two large rachet straps to keep it from bouncing (though I don't think it does much, the boat sits on the keep and I've never seen it move at all. I put the engine in the bed of my truck and I wrap the rudder in a piece of old carpet and rachet it down to the trailer in front of the keel. My boat came with a mast crutch that goes into the rudder pintles so I just strap the front and back of the mast down to make sure it doesn't bounce in transit. All in all, it travels very nicely even at 70mph on the highway.
IMG_20160416_154238 (Large).jpg
IMG_20171022_144830 (Large).jpg