Registered users don't see ads

Best way to remove Old decals from ACP hulls

Discussion in 'Day Sailers' started by KeukaSailer, Mar 27, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. KeukaSailer

KeukaSailer

Joined Mar 21, 2018
    15 posts, 5 likes
    hunter 146
    us Penn yan NY
    Have to remove her old name decals from the stern (they are in bad shape, & renaming)as well as her reg. numbers, I know I CAN'T use Acetone on ACP plastic. I've heard that regular old gas is okay to use, and won't eat it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. LakeOntario270

LakeOntario270

Joined Jan 4, 2013
    143 posts, 13 likes
    Catalina 270
    US Rochester, NY
    Use a hair dryer and a razor blade knife. The heat will soften glue and you can peel then off with the razor blade knife. Then clean the residue off with 3M adhesive remover that you can by in a auto parts store.

Parsons likes this.
  3. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    500 posts, 140 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    You're probably dealing with vinyl lettering - it's on the surface. As Lake says, the adhesive is heat sensitive, and the ACP isn't very sensitive. On a warm day in the sun, you can peal those off with a fingernail. I'd avoid a razor knife as it can gouge the hull. Instead, use a blunter putty knife, which will also save your fingernails. Clean up any residue with a solvent that is less aggressive than acetone, such as common mineral spirits or hexane. That ACP is almost indestructible (much more than fiberglass gelcoat), but why take chances.

4. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,228 posts, 453 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    ACP is a plastic folks. Any use of Acetone or keytones as I use to say will destroy it. Even Goo Gone may be bad. As Parsons said use a putty blade vs. razor knife. If Goo Gone or 3M adhesive remover look and read first and if anything against use on plastics, stay away. I am not sure about gas as that is an oil by product but could be any derivatives in it so ask someone who would know. I did use it a time or two but cleaned off any residuce quickly but not sure if used on ACP. Alcohol would work.

5. BobbyFunn

BobbyFunn

Joined Apr 16, 2017
    200 posts, 99 likes
    Hunter 170
    US Tampa
    I wished hunter didnt make up their own name for plastic. It's "Lexan". Acp is the entire hull including the fiberglass and foam sandwhich.

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/what-is-lexan

Good stuff there.

Cars use this stuff all the time, so the surface has to be resistant to gasoline otherwise the paint would be at risk.

Parsons likes this.
  6. BobbyFunn

BobbyFunn

Joined Apr 16, 2017
    200 posts, 99 likes
    Hunter 170
    US Tampa
    I used mineral spirits to remove the pin strip decal running down the waterline and also to removed the hunter logo residue. Dock rash was too much for me to look at. I painted the entire hull below the gunnals and replaced the decals. No side effects noted.

7. Fred

Fred

Joined Sep 27, 2008
    360 posts, 27 likes
    Hunter H26
    CA Nepean Sailing Club
    I've used WD40 effectively to remove adhesives.

8. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,426 posts, 1,858 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Um. It's actually Luran, More specifically Luran-S. BASF first formulated it make car bumpers.

9. chuckwayne

chuckwayne

Joined Mar 20, 2004
    1,396 posts, 33 likes
    Hunter 356 and 216
    US Portland, ME
    alcohol is OK, as is mineral spirits in moderation

10. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    696 posts, 199 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
    +1 on a blow dryer & a plastic putty knife. +1 on alcohol. I have also had good results cleaning ACP hulls with Fast Orange. Try to avoid gasoline. It leaves a dingy yellow/brown stain if you don't get it off quickly & that stain is VERY hard to remove.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Parsons likes this.
  11. BobbyFunn

BobbyFunn

Joined Apr 16, 2017
    200 posts, 99 likes
    Hunter 170
    US Tampa
    Yep my bad. I am corrected. Lexan is polycarbonate plastic, luran is ASA plastic. They are very similar and can be blended together. Polycarbonate is less prone to cracking :D.