Best water tank purifier?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
What is the best water tank purifier for warm to hot climate for sailboat
water tank? Thanks for your comment. Pat

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I copied this a long time ago probably from one of Peggie Hall's posts:

FRESH WATER MAINTENANCE
.5 cup bleach per 5 gallons
Fresh water system problems--foul odor or taste--are typically caused by allowing water to stagnate in the tank and especially the lines, creating the ideal environment for molds, fungi and bacteria that thrive in damp dark places. Here's the recommended method for recommissioning fresh water systems; this should be done at least annually:
Fill the water tank with a solution of 1 cup (8 oz) of household bleach per 10 gallon tank capacity. Turn on every faucet on the boat (including a deck wash if you have one), and allow the water to run until what's coming out smells strongly of bleach. Turn off the faucets, but leave the system pressurized so the solution remains in the lines.
Let stand overnight--at least 8 hours--but NO LONGER THAN 24 hours. Drain through every faucet on the boat (and if you haven't done this in a while, it's a good idea to remove any diffusion screens from the faucets, 'cuz what's likely to come out will clog them). Fill the tank again with fresh water only, drain again through every faucet on the boat, repeating till the water runs clean and smells and tastes clean.
Remember: cleaning out the tank addresses only the least of the problem...most of the problem occurs in the lines, so it's very important to leave the system pressurized while the bleach solution is in the tank to keep the solution in the lines too.
People have expressed concern about using this method to recommission aluminum tanks. While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, the effect of an annual or semi-annual "shock treatment" is negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated city water in the tank for years. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to mix the total amount of bleach in a few gallons of water before putting it into either a stainless or aluminum tank.
People have also expressed concern about the potential damage to rubber and neoprene water pump parts. Again-the cumulative effect of carrying chlorinated water is more damaging than the occasional "shock treatment." Occasionally, a water pump has been known to fail immediately after recommissioning, but it's always been an older pump in which the diaphragm and/or valve were already "on their last legs" and would have failed soon anyway. Far better to "push it over the edge" during spring recommissioning than have it fail a month later at sea with no replacement parts aboard.
To keep the water system cleaner longer, use your fresh water...keep water flowing through system. The molds, fungi, and bacteria only start to grow in hoses that aren't being used. Before filling the tank each time, always let the dock water run for at least 15 minutes first...the same critters that like the lines on your boat LOVE the dock supply line and your hose that sit in the warm sun, and you don't want to transfer water that's been sitting in the dock supply line to your boat's system. So let the water run long enough to flush out all the water that's been standing in them so that what goes into your boat is coming straight from the water main.
Finally, while the molds, fungi and bacteria in onboard water systems here in the US may not be pleasant, we're dealing only with aesthetics...water purity isn't an issue here--or in most developed nations...the water supply has already been purified (unless you're using well-water). However, when cruising out of the country, it's a good idea to know what you're putting in your tanks...and if you're in any doubt, boil all water that's to be drunk or used to wash dishes, and/or treat each tankful to purify. It's even more important in these areas to let the water run before putting it in the tank-wash the boat, whatever it takes...'cuz any harmful bacteria will REALLY proliferate in water hoses left sitting on the dock.

May 8, 2009
Oday 25 Mayo, Maryland
I'm trying to tune the rig on DAY DREAM, our '80 Oday 25. She is used almost primarily for daysailing but occasional charity racing on Chesapeake Bay. We have a Loos Tension Guage. Does anyone know what the tension specs should be for the shrouds, forestay and single backstay?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Thank you for the information....I've not emptied the water tank yet this spring....I've done what your are saying each year, but not normally with clorox....just have used commercial products designed for boat de-winterization......We spent Friday night on the boat, and I realized I had not filled the water tank yet...but I'll empty it and then typically I do what you suggest....just wondered if there a a top-quality commercial product available to buy and use vs. the clorox......I know
Cabella's here in Wichita sells a watertank solution w/chlorine...that's my easy way out......but maybe the easy way is the
best way for now.....it's suppose to be 98 degrees today in Wichita....so I may wait for the next cold front....Patrick

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's the concentration of chlorine that matters...and that bleach solution conforms to section 10.8 in the A-1 192 code covering electrical, plumbing, and heating of recreational vehicles (which includes boats)...and it's the one that's approved and recommended by competent health officials for use in a new system, a used one that has not been used for a period of time, or one that may have been contaminated.

It's actually not that hard to do: Bring some bottled water to the boat. Last thing before you turn in on the first night, drain the water tank and put the solution in it and get the process started. First thing next morning, while you're waiting for the coffee you'll make with the bottled water to be ready, drain the tank through every faucet (don't forget to include any deck wash faucets). Fill it again with clean water only while you drink your coffee and make breakfast. If you can still taste chlorine in the water, add quart of distilled white vinegar to the tank and let it stay there all weekend. Next weekend, drain it one more time and fill your tank for use. Your tank water will taste and smell as good as any that comes out of a faucet on land. If that doesn't suit you, put a faucet filter on the galley sink.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thank you for the information....I've not emptied the water tank yet this spring....I've done what your are saying each year, but not normally with clorox....just have used commercial products designed for boat de-winterization......We spent Friday night on the boat, and I realized I had not filled the water tank yet...but I'll empty it and then typically I do what you suggest....just wondered if there a a top-quality commercial product available to buy and use vs. the clorox......I know
Cabella's here in Wichita sells a watertank solution w/chlorine...that's my easy way out......but maybe the easy way is the
best way for now.....it's suppose to be 98 degrees today in Wichita....so I may wait for the next cold front....Patrick
Speaking of hot Paddy. Did you get the A/C water pump replaced? Are you able to get cool now?
I use a dedicated hose for filling the water tank with a filter attached. It is overdue for replacement. I'd still like to put an inline filter onboard. It's on my to-do list to add a filter on the vent line as well to keep the critters out.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Keep in mind that most chlorine products release the chlorine to the water and it eventually, evaporates. You need something that would keep the water in the tank chlorinated in the long term. i.e. slow dissolving option.

The best option is to... use the water (and fill with fresh). Also make sure that the water you put in is (reasonably) pure (e.g. make sure that when you fill, you don't use any water that was sitting in the hose).

Also, you don't want too much chlorine in your system (your pump would not like it).

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Keep in mind that most chlorine products release the chlorine to the water and it eventually, evaporates. You need something that would keep the water in the tank chlorinated in the long term. i.e. slow dissolving option.
First, you're missing the point. Recommissioning the system according to the directions posted above doesn't treat the water, it cleans out the tank and plumbing.
However, "treating" the water with something that keeps it chlorinated long term is the last thing you want to do. City water isn't kept chlorinated long term, it's treated and released into the distribution system. You're correct that chlorine evaporates, which is fine...it's done its job. But its corrosive properties remain..which is why it's a very bad idea to add a little bleach to each fill. Any product that keeps the water in the tank chlorinated would a) make it taste and smell like a laundry... and b) cut the life of any metal water tank in half!
Recommission the system annually and you shouldn't need to add anything to the water.

-- Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Yes Justin, I was just sitting on my front porch looking at the specifications as printed in the box....It is a different brand of pump but should work fine according to Mermaid...the maker of the AC.. Now, I just need to remove the broken pump & install the new pump...then re-attach the hoses, etc...I've taken pictures of the exist March pump and the installation so I should be able to duplicate the install ....even with my limited knowledge of installations of nearly anything....I did spend the night on the boat last Friday night and it was very comfortable after dark despite the near 100 degree temps on Friday. we sailed on the Erickson 31 until after midnight.......back to the water discussion. Peggie's description is what I've done every year since 1986...I'll just do it some more...'If it is not broken, don't fix it' is good advice Patrick in paradise

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Ed Knox and I are going to try and install the new pump on Saturday.....this would be a good time to say your prayers..Pat