Best techniques for teak?

Jan 24, 2018
Catalina 25 Whiskeytown Lake
Hi — I’m new to the forum having bought our 1987 C25 last fall. The original owner (since deceased) left several cans inside: Deks Rens, Penetrol, and Deks Olje #1. My interior teak still looks great, and I’m thinking he used the Olje on that. The exterior trim is pretty weathered. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with any of these products? It doesn’t look like a Flood Co. even makes Deks Rens anymore. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@LuckyDuck Welcome to the bestest forum.
Teak has many folks with differing ideas.
  1. It’s exposed teal. It’s going to grey out. Keep it washed. Use a soft brush. Brush across the grain and your all good.
  2. Teak is bright work and must be varnished. Many layers applied in a special way. But only in the morning of a blue moon when the next two days will be warm and dry. (Never mind that last sentence. I just was getting into the ritual thing. )
  3. Some folks swear by the “Cetol Marine Wood Finish” products. Last long gives your bright work a good look.
  4. Or there is also the Teak Oil believers. I tried it and it looked good for 3 months before the oil degraded and turned dark giving the golden teak a black look.
It’s your boat and you get the joy of choosing. Choose wisely. It is a sail boat and you need to be on the water not spending all your time taking care of teak.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Up intil the mid 90s Catalina oiled their interior teak. I used teak oil on my 90 C-22.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO. You are going to have fun here.
Teak has many folks with differing ideas. ...
I second jssailem's post.
Teak is naturally oily so, when finishing raw teak, clean it well and let it dry, but not too long or the interior oils come to the surface. They are part of what protects it.
Interior wood doesn't get the beating that UV and salt give exterior wood so it will be easier to maintain.
Spar varnish had UV blockers in it, but I don't know if teak oil does.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Use whatever coating makes you happy, to apply.

Some coatings take little work-often- to keep protecting the wood. Some take more work up front, but hold up longer with light maintenance. Don't wrestle with a coating that makes you unhappy to use.

Leaving any wood on deck to weather and gray is the easiest; but unprotected, the wood is sacrificial. It will wear away with time(like teak decks).

That's a good way to go for some pieces that are easy and cheap to replace(decorative trim), not such a good idea with more expensive parts(like toe rails or companionway slides), that are tedious(expensive) to replace.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Two distinct categories:
1. Teak above deck (handrails, etc.): use oil, the sun will cook varnish;
2. Teak below deck: I use satin or semigloss polyurethane - lasts
much longer than oil and looks just as good.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Less complicated plan, if its teak oil it, then go sailing as much as possible. Bad weather will always appear now and then and allow you to toil away at stuff.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Teak is put on boats b/c it's a low maintenance wood that can withstand the harsh marine environment. For outside, keep clean with regular washes using clean seawater. That's it.:biggrin: