Best source for alternator replacement

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
I have a 2002 356 with a Yanmar 3GM30F. It current has the 55@ OEM alternator. There is no problem and it still field test at 55@ output. However, we stay on the Great Lakes for several months and after 16 sailing seasons...I'm thinking I should have a backup onboard just in case. That said I would like to get a higher amp replacement without spending the king's ransom. Maybe I end up keeping the original as a backup. Anyway if anyone know of a good source on the web to get an alternator that would be very helpful.
Thanks for your time.

Apr 30, 2015
36 Sloop 36 Chesapeak Bay
I have a 2002 356 with a Yanmar 3GM30F. It current has the 55@ OEM alternator. There is no problem and it still field test at 55@ output. However, we stay on the Great Lakes for several months and after 16 sailing seasons...I'm thinking I should have a backup onboard just in case. That said I would like to get a higher amp replacement without spending the king's ransom. Maybe I end up keeping the original as a backup. Anyway if anyone know of a good source on the web to get an alternator that would be very helpful.
Thanks for your time.
We got our alternator charge equipment from Maine Sailor.
https://shop.marinehowto.com/t/alternators--regulators

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Wow, Maine Sail has some great alternator offerings! One of the cool things about the Balmars is the fail-safe mode. When my brand new high-output Balmar failed it failed to low output and brought me home.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Agree with the fellows above. Maine Sail (Rod) is a tremendous source for upgrades and he is one of us so buying from him helps his store also. If your not familiar, he is probably the most respected voice we have here besides the Head Mistress Peggy Hall. Your 3GM is gonna need modifications of you go above 80 amps said simply since you mentioned a budget. You can get this setup from Maine Sail that includes the externally regulated alt (80 amp) and Balmar regulator for under a boat buck easily and installation is DIY. And most likely if you have a question you can ask him here or an actual voice will answer the support line.

https://shop.marinehowto.com/t/alternators--regulators
The Hitachi 80 and Balmar 614 or ARS 5

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I have been very happy with DB Electrical 80 amp alternator($70 on Amazon). It is set for 14.7V (I get around 14.5 at the batteries) which is perfect for my setup. No need for any regulation at all. I would remove your current alternator and keep that as a backup, while using the new one with its higher amperage as the main alternator. You do not need to go higher than 80 amps unless you have a very large battery bank.

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical-AHI0059-Alternator-119573-77200/dp/B0081SBFZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529361639&sr=1-1&keywords=DB+Electrical+80

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If your not going external regulation ASE in Portland Or has good selection great service

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I didn't see that there were two threads of the same topic. I will merge the two. There might be some repeat post but I will try and clean that up. Thanks, @SFS for letting me know.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jim, Maine Sail has posted many times about Hitachi alternators. I copy i here FYI, in case MS doesn't see this.

Hitachi/Yanmar Alternators: (by Maine Sail)

Some alternators though, such as those made by Hitachi and found on Yanmar diesels, are dumber than a pound of beetle poop. Actually, to the alternator, they are pretty smart but to your batteries and the speed of charging they are flat out stupid. Why?

Hitachi alts with dumb regulators, and some others, limit voltage but also reduce voltage based on alternator temperature. This is a self protective feature installed in the internal dumb regulator to prevent the alternator from cooking itself. Remember voltage is the pressure that allows more current to flow. So, if we reduce the absorption voltage, then we also reduce the current the alternator is supplying.. The battery simply will not accept the same current at 13.4V that it did at 14.4V and as a result the alternator will run cooler. What do you suppose this does to your batteries over time.......?

The problem is that when cold you will get 14.3V to 14.4V out of the Hitachi but as the alternator heats up the dumb regulator begins to reduce the CV/voltage limit based on the alternators internal temperature. It is not uncommon to find a Hitachi alternator at 13.4V when hot. This is REALLY, REALLY DUMB....

If you have a dumb regulator, and notice the voltage dropping, it is likely a temp compensated dumb regulator. Get rid of it or plan to buy new batteries more often.

If you have a temp compensated alternator or a Hitachi alternator on a Yanmar you really are in dire need of external regulation if deep cycling a larger battery bank.

This is from:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125392

and these, too:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d-smart-regulator-instal-question-125843.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/most-practical-way-to-upgrade-yanmar-alternator-142083.html

Jun 17, 2012
Thank you so very much to all who provided such informative and helpful info. I think I can make a plan now.

Jun 17, 2012
This message is for one of you who replied named Pizzazz. I was wondering what engine your 31 Hunter has? I went on Amazon and found the alternator from supplier DB Electrical. I just couldn’t determine if it was specific for my Yanmar 3GM30. Thanks

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Stu;
Read up, Maine Sail has engineered and sourced an externally regulated Hitachi alternator that may be perfect for the OP. What Rick said.