Best place to buy a new Tohatsu 6hp?

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 22 Lake Mead
Hi- new here and enjoy all the info and boats. I'm shopping for a new TOHATSU 6 HP MFS6CSPROL

Best price I have found is $1050 + $100 shipping

Since I am not in a hurry- I thought this would be a good subject for discussion and to get some posts going :)

Please let me know if you know of any good deals on NEW. Thanks

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
That seems like a very good price, $400+ cheaper then onlineoutboards.com

Where are you getting that price, I'm thinking of going to a 9.8 for my O'Day 25.

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 22 Lake Mead
I'd be a bit apprehensive about ordering an outboard engine from Indonesia. Customer service could be a problem.
I hadn't quite gotten to the fine detail yet :)

But for sake of pricing- I'm open to looking anywhere. But I would check with the US distributor about warranty before I bought from overseas. But most everything I own comes from overseas at some point - HA

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd try to find more out about that vendor, could be a scam unless you can find a few people on here that say they ordered successfully from them. I bought a 6hp from https://onlineoutboards.com/ for my fishing jon boat from them and had a great experence

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Does it have the manufacturer's recognized warranty?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
There are scam outboard "retailers" out there.

Personally, I'd buy from a local dealer if there was one here. I'd rather buy from the place who will fix it, and do any warranty work.

Because there is no local dealer for me.... I ended up dealing with a Canadian brick-n-mortar dealer (Pisces Marine in Oakville, Ontario) in another province/state, that also has an online store under onlineoutboards.ca (not to be confused with the US website that is run by CUmberland Watersports in Dickson, TN, USA)

The fact that they are an actual, long term, marine dealer, with the knowledge and service that goes along with that, made me happy to buy from them, in light of the fact I have no local dealers.

When I was searching online I found one site that was using showroom photos that were actually taken at the Canadian Tohatsu dealer that I eventually purchased from.

So let's do the math on sale-outboards.com :
https://www.whois.com/whois/sale-outboards.com

Domain is registered to:
Name: PT Askrindo
Organization: Deni Sports
Jl. Ahmad Yani 112
Medan, Sumatera Utara
Indonesia, 20242
Ph: +62.85262188444
Email: muhailham@gmail.com

The sale-outboards.com site has a photo that actually comes from a marine dealer in Florida (marinepartsoutlet.com) :

https://www.google.com/search?q=toh...wYMKHeC0A4EQ2A4IJCgB&biw=1406&bih=767#imgrc=_

If you search for the "Deni Sports" organization you get a bunch of sites registered by "them"
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=PT+Askrindo+Deni+Sports+Jl.+Ahmad+Yani+112+Medan,+Su+20242+IN&t=ffcm&ia=web

The so called "Deni Sports" is also evidently running another site trying to sell coffee machines using someone else's images.
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/710852

Bottom line... anyone who buys a high value item from some unknown "supplier" (or in this case a scam), will lose more money than they try to save.

Dealer pricing in each market is controlled by the manufacturer. While there are regional differences, don't fool yourself into thinking that there is some company out there that magically sells for a lot less than everyone else.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Buy it from a local dealer, I had one of the motor mount handles break and it was taken care of by the local, he ordered the part via warranty and replaced it labor free. Try that with one from Indonesia or wherever. Also the local guy registered the sale too . He put the flusher connector on it for me to included in the sale, no bending over and connecting little tiny screw in adapters each time. See pic Black tube with regular hose connector and white pvc plug .
V New tohatsu OB Aux.JPG

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
After shopping around I purchased mine at defender marine, and felt I got a good deal on it. I was a frequent customer there when I was on the boat outfitting buying spree.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
I've been getting the best prices on the small Mercury (aka Tohatsu, Nissan, Evinrunde, etc.)at local Bass-Pro/Tracker store. They also start if for you, which is pretty decent of them. So when you walk away they keep the box and you get a running motor. Remember to drain all fuel by running it until it conks out. You can speed it up be disconnecting the fuel line at the petcock and letting it drip into a clean, clear, large Juice container. I use the "Simply" brand clear plastic juice containers. Fuel should be removed from motor if you are going to store it for more than a month (which usually turns to several). Failure to do this is asking for very expensive $$$ motor problems. Also you need to run motor at least every 2-3 weeks.

The Mercs only have a 3 yr warranty while the Tohatsu have a 5 yr. But the Tohatsu requires that a dealer send in the warranty. Otherwise..

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Buy it from a local dealer, I had one of the motor mount handles break and it was taken care of by the local, he ordered the part via warranty and replaced it labor free. Try that with one from Indonesia or wherever. Also the local guy registered the sale too . He put the flusher connector on it for me to included in the sale, no bending over and connecting little tiny screw in adapters each time. See pic Black tube with regular hose connector and white pvc plug . View attachment 140151
I like that! I'm gonna see if I can get one for my 3.5 and my 18 HP. I got the 18 HP electric start from Online outboards.com.