Best PHRF racer around 23'?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
The cynic suggests that you buy the same boat as the PHRF committee members have. If you want to go fast, buy a fast boat and forget about the rating, if you want to win PHRF well now you have to get clever. Buy the boat that won last year and then when you don't win, the problem will be clear.
As a PHRF committee member at his club, ratings chair, I have a Beneteau First 235. We do not yet have any trophies and I have had the boat for 4 seasons. Our PHRF Fleet Commodore used to sail a Precision 23 and 2 seasons ago they had a first, 4 seconds, 2 thirds, and a fourth. These are trophies in a series', not individual races. We have Capri 22's that do very well and some that do not. Same with a couple of S2 6.9's. I thought I would be having a trophy or two by now but, alas we do not. The reason? Well, I have had rotating crew all 4 seasons, most with little or no sailing experience, let alone racing. Scheduling practices is very difficult with people being busy in the summer. This all adds up to the reason we have no trophies and finish mid to lower third in races. We just do not sail well. That is a very humbling realization when it hits you.

This is not meant as a dig or insult to anyone's person or sailing ability. It is just a statement of fact that one sometimes needs to take a little introspection and do some searching in order to find the real reasons. No matter how difficult the answers can be. I thought after I bought my 235 that we would be doing great and even winning. Like I said, very humbling when you realize why not. Not that difficult to sail, difficult to sail your boat to it's rating.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As a PHRF committee member at his club, ratings chair, I have a Beneteau First 235. We do not yet have any trophies and I have had the boat for 4 seasons. Our PHRF Fleet Commodore used to sail a Precision 23 and 2 seasons ago they had a first, 4 seconds, 2 thirds, and a fourth. These are trophies in a series', not individual races. We have Capri 22's that do very well and some that do not. Same with a couple of S2 6.9's. I thought I would be having a trophy or two by now but, alas we do not. The reason? Well, I have had rotating crew all 4 seasons, most with little or no sailing experience, let alone racing. Scheduling practices is very difficult with people being busy in the summer. This all adds up to the reason we have no trophies and finish mid to lower third in races. We just do not sail well. That is a very humbling realization when it hits you.

This is not meant as a dig or insult to anyone's person or sailing ability. It is just a statement of fact that one sometimes needs to take a little introspection and do some searching in order to find the real reasons. No matter how difficult the answers can be. I thought after I bought my 235 that we would be doing great and even winning. Like I said, very humbling when you realize why not. Not that difficult to sail, difficult to sail your boat to it's rating.
That’s all truth. ‘Getting better’ at racing is very hard if you don’t sail with better racers, either on their boats or with them as crew. This is a challenge on non-spin boats in particular, as their 2/3-person crew is often a couple or a family. People who are decent enough sailors get hammered in races and don’t know why. It’s the classic competency scale that limits. Hard to get better when you don’t know what is wrong. Boat can factor but there is often much more to it. @cb32863 you’re on the right path for sure. Keep working on the skills that matter, and getting the experiences of other racers into your program!

B5979E58-1697-43DF-B138-673AB2AC2D9E.png

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Jackdaw hit the nail on the head. I have been racing for 35 years. Everything form Star boats to 70' sleds. I race my boat in club series and regional regattas. I bought a new boat to me (J/92) late last year. This year has been about climbing the learning curve especially on downwind legs. It has been an ongoing challenge as this boat is more technical than previous boats. In the beginning of the year I was getting toasted. By the end of the year and about 25 races I was in the money and even winning a couple of races. Things that I have had to learn over again are: crew development, rig tune, sail selection, downwind sailing angles etc. I have talked to sailmakers, other competitors, fellow J/92 owners in an effort to improve. The other thing is that the level and skill of competitors has markedly increased as I am now racing in a faster class. It's been fun and I look forward to next year with continued improvement.
Bottom line is that it is a continuing learning experience for me and my crew. Ratings are the last thing I am worried about. If you use that psychological out when you don't do well then you will never improve. BTW- I am the regional chairman of a PHRF organization and a PHRF national appeals committee. I didn't pick this boat because it has a cupcake rating (it doesn't) but because it a fun boat and a dream to sail. The winning part is just the cherry on top.
JS2018.jpg

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Look no further.....
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/san-juan-24
Dirt cheap. Light air killer, goes like stink in a blow with the 110 lapper and meat on the rail.

Solid choice. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/niagara-26
Been crewing on one last couple seasons w/class main and 140 genny. Really needs a 155 to handle the light. Also, missing 4" of the keel as designed, sometimes feels like it could be pointing better.. . .
Look no further.....
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/san-juan-24
Dirt cheap. Light air killer, goes like stink in a blow with the 110 lapper and meat on the rail.

Solid choice. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/niagara-26
Been crewing on one last couple seasons w/class main and 140 genny. Really needs a 155 to handle the light. Also, missing 4" of the keel as designed, sometimes feels like it could be pointing better.. . .
We raced and cruised one for a decade. Fast and easy to sail. It is indeed a great boat with the lapper jib. Huge main (3/4 rig) and you may have to reef once in a while. Points high. Solid construction by Hinterhoeller Yachts. We had #80, reportedly the last one built by Hinterhoeller.
There is no comparison with a SJ-24, and it's "spreader washing" behavior with a chute. The Niagara is stable even in big air -- much more of a "MORC" design derivation.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Um, I was referring to the SJ going upwind in a breeze w/a 110?
And that "spreader washing" nonsense is just that. Nonsense. The very first builds did have a reputation for letting go early but that was fixed w/all later boats w/a new, much deeper rudder.
I raced mine w/a code 6 chute - seriously over sized, to fly the clews equal the pole was mounted just above the gooseneck - and with the twings (tweakers, whatever) pulled on we never experienced any deathrolling. Up to about 10 knts I could lay the pole over and almost sail that sucker upwind.
With the Niagara we do have a smaller headsail to mount on the furler but didn't see winds strong enough to merit doing so before leaving the dock last season, but did find out that a reefed main and 140 was slow. Or maybe the winds started to peter out as we were reefing....?o_O
The build quality on the Niagara is much much better than the SJ though. Person could actually do the kind of extended cruising on one of those you wouldn't dare think of on a SJ unless your name was Rimas.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
RL 24. Rates 173. You should easily be able to pick one up for less than $3K, which leaves money left over for new sails. Most guys that are racing use square top full baton sails. SA/D of 26, but I have sailed in 30mph winds with full sails. The boat is light weight, so it is more sensitive to rail meat. Best if sailed with 3 people, although I often sail single handed. The boat is known for sailing up wind very well.
The link in my signature has some video of the boat under sail. Carlyle 2015 shows the boat sailing upwind.

Here is one listed in PA:
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/62145

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Not sure what "best" means, but I really need a Merit 22. pure sex ;)